Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC check in HKG Central Station

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
AC check in HKG Central Station

Websites say you can check in the day before your flight at central station in HK for AC and CA plus most other airlines.... My flight is on Air China tomorrow morning early.

NOT TRUE. I went to central station in Hong Kong tonight and was told this was only for same day departures. Thanks so much as that wasted about 2+ hours of my time.

100k for another year

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 6, 2018 at 10:35 am Reason: off topic
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: TK *G
Is this related to Air Canada?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Unfortunately looks like those websites misled you; neither Air Canada nor Air China offer Day Before Check-in according to the official MTR website.

A suggestion for nest time: If you don't need your luggage overnight, you could've left it at the left-luggage centre just around the corner from the check-in area and adjacent to the door which leads to City Hall and the Star Ferry elevated footpath. While a pricey option, it would've at least saved you from having to haul your luggage back to the Airbnb.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ffsim
Unfortunately looks like those websites misled you; neither Air Canada nor Air China offer Day Before Check-in according to the official MTR website.

A suggestion for nest time: If you don't need your luggage overnight, you could've left it at the left-luggage centre just around the corner from the check-in area and adjacent to the door which leads to City Hall and the Star Ferry elevated footpath. While a pricey option, it would've at least saved you from having to haul your luggage back to the Airbnb.
Well I have done it. I believe the distinction that is important is "day before" vs. 24 hour check in. AC's regular check in policy applies. Meaning you can check in 24 hours in advance. The difference with HK MTR is that you can also give them your checked luggage at that point too -- if I am not mistaken, you can only check luggage same day at most airports. (Day before could well be interpreted to mean up to 47 hours in advance. I think that is what they mean, in any event...) As I said, I have done it. Checked in, dropped off luggage, and then head to the W for a good night's rest and a great buffet. Then go to the airport the next day by hopping on the train with your carry on and done. It is so easy and convent that I wonder why nobody else does this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ridefar
Well I have done it. I believe the distinction that is important is "day before" vs. 24 hour check in. AC's regular check in policy applies. Meaning you can check in 24 hours in advance. The difference with HK MTR is that you can also give them your checked luggage at that point too -- if I am not mistaken, you can only check luggage same day at most airports. (Day before could well be interpreted to mean up to 47 hours in advance. I think that is what they mean, in any event...) As I said, I have done it. Checked in, dropped off luggage, and then head to the W for a good night's rest and a great buffet. Then go to the airport the next day by hopping on the train with your carry on and done. It is so easy and convent that I wonder why nobody else does this.
We're getting a little sideways here, and definitely don't want to argue with actual experience -- all I know is what's listed on the website, and the official website for the Airport Express indicates that both AC and CA (the latter of which appears to be the airline OP is flying) are not among the airlines for which Day Before Check-in is available.

As for "AC's regular check in policy," sure, you can do an online check-in 24 hours in advance, definitely. But can an airport agent check you in 24 hours in advance? I am under the impression that they cannot, although I'm happy to be wrong about that, too. And further, baggage is usually not accepted > x hours before a scheduled departure, where x varies by departure airport and destination. So I think it's safe to say that check-in as it relates to {HKG + Airport Express + day before} is not "regular"
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wrong forum?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marco Polo
just an FYI the cutoff at Hong Kong Station is 90 minutes before departure for Air Canada
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC 75K
What does this have to do with AC? If you're flying Air China, you check in them, and are subject to their rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.