Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Altitude 2019-2020 Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I don't know about you folks but it always surprises me that AC has the gall to charge it's Gold elites fees for advanced seat selection in Y. On UA, even Golds get E+ seat access at time of booking for themselves and one guest (and upto 8 guests for Platinum and above). That being said, now that I'm not a Canadian resident and the fact that UA is playing around with PQM accrual makes me wonder whether I should question my FF choice for 2019.
Whats a gold elite?

I'm pretty sure from 25k you get free seat selection.

For preferred seats: Going from 25k->SE one gets a discount up to free, in increasing markets and fare buckets.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Whats a gold elite?

For preferred seats: Going from 25k->SE one gets a discount up to free, in increasing markets and fare buckets.
You only get free preferred seats in flex fares as an E50K and higher. Even the discount below that is only on Flex fares - I think that's his point. UA will give you free E+ on any fare
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Whats a gold elite?

Sorry I meant E50K (clearly been a UA elite for too long).

For my travel preferences (namely purchasing the cheapest available tickets, often on *A) it's crazy to think that seat assignments cost anything unless you buy a special fare bucket. On my $515 CAD flight from LHR to LAX (then EWR to LHR) on UA, I was able to select plush E+ seats for free during booking in spite of my fare being Economy, Light. Heck, I even get my checked bag and priority benefits!

I'd be happy to switch to Altitude when AC realizes that loyalty should be based on BIS not dollars spent! It makes no sense to me why someone who spends, say, $10,000 on a flight pass and flies a couple times every year on the pass gets elite recognition, whereas someone who spends say $2,500 a year and flies several ultra long haul flights during the year doesn't. The latter could clearly benefit from the elite benefits whereas the former wouldn't! The next thing we'll hear that fares should be based on distance, not route competition!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: AC 50K
The “Altitude Bonus” is it only x percentage more Aeroplan miles or do they also count towards AQM?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
It makes no sense to me why someone who spends, say, $10,000 on a flight pass and flies a couple times every year on the pass gets elite recognition, whereas someone who spends say $2,500 a year and flies several ultra long haul flights during the year doesn't. The latter could clearly benefit from the elite benefits whereas the former wouldn't! The next thing we'll hear that fares should be based on distance, not route competition!

Safe Travels,

James
I think you have have the answer to your dilemma:

Flyer 1 spends $10,000 per year
Flyer 2 spends $2,500 per year
canadiancow and RangerNS like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by marchelli
The “Altitude Bonus” is it only x percentage more Aeroplan miles or do they also count towards AQM?
They're straight Aeroplan miles which can only be used for redemptions; they're not AQM.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Sorry I meant E50K (clearly been a UA elite for too long).

For my travel preferences (namely purchasing the cheapest available tickets, often on *A) it's crazy to think that seat assignments cost anything unless you buy a special fare bucket. On my $515 CAD flight from LHR to LAX (then EWR to LHR) on UA, I was able to select plush E+ seats for free during booking in spite of my fare being Economy, Light. Heck, I even get my checked bag and priority benefits!
Its crazy to me to think you get something for nothing. If you are buying cheap tickets and not flying enough to get status then you aren't flying much on cheap tickets. What loyalty is there here to reward?

I'd be happy to switch to Altitude when AC realizes that loyalty should be based on BIS not dollars spent! It makes no sense to me why someone who spends, say, $10,000 on a flight pass and flies a couple times every year on the pass gets elite recognition, whereas someone who spends say $2,500 a year and flies several ultra long haul flights during the year doesn't. The latter could clearly benefit from the elite benefits whereas the former wouldn't! The next thing we'll hear that fares should be based on distance, not route competition!
Poe's law much?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
They had to reorganize the punch cards for the next batch process. COBOL, you know.
Was thinking along the same lines -- my P25k status went live yesterday, but my eUpgrades only landed in my account this morning.

I'm sure the VAX they have running all this is chugging along at full steam, doing its best to keep up.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: AC E50K, FPC Platinum
I'm going from zero status this year, and just logged in and has welcomed me as P25k for next year, and invited me to select my privileges (currently at 28 flight segments)

I've still got a pile of flights and should make it to E35k by the end of the month. One of my select options could be lounge passes. If I chose that now will they be mailed out to me, and can select a different benefit when at the end of the year Air Canada realizes I have enough segments to make the higher status? Or will they wait until the new year to send anything out and so there's no point in doing it?

It is nice that the status kicked in for the last flights of the year so I can benefit from the...zone 3 boarding and two free checked bags (I'll try and contain my excitement)
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC E50K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by eastexpress
I'm going from zero status this year, and just logged in and has welcomed me as P25k for next year, and invited me to select my privileges (currently at 28 flight segments)

I've still got a pile of flights and should make it to E35k by the end of the month. One of my select options could be lounge passes. If I chose that now will they be mailed out to me, and can select a different benefit when at the end of the year Air Canada realizes I have enough segments to make the higher status? Or will they wait until the new year to send anything out and so there's no point in doing it?

It is nice that the status kicked in for the last flights of the year so I can benefit from the...zone 3 boarding and two free checked bags (I'll try and contain my excitement)
And probably the more important question, will I get another 20 eupgrade credits when I reach E35k or will they recognize that I've already been given my credits and prevent getting credits for two levels of status.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And probably the more important question, will I get another 20 eupgrade credits when I reach E35k or will they recognize that I've already been given my credits and prevent getting credits for two levels of status.
In that situation, once my wife got both. Mind you, in the meantime they may have improved their system and they may now be able to catch this type of error...
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
When I went from P25K to E35K a few years ago they gave me a small amount of eUpgrades (maybe 5?) and then the following year I got the full amounts. I assume this is what will happen to you.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
For the poster who was trying to compare UA to AC....

Canada ===== 2 airlines, not much competition. They pretty much match their fares on each others routes, and one has a premium cabin, the other has corny jokes and free peanuts.

USA ==== multiple carriers, 10x the travellers, and significant competition.

It should be pretty basic to understand why AC doesn't have to give away the farm like some american carriers...
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I got the full amount of credits with each status I passed this year; E35K, E50K and E75K. Having said that, things may be handled quite differently here at year end. This is why it surprises me that they are rolling out the selection and eUps to anyone other than S100K. I imagine it's not a small number of people who have been given the rewards for one status now but will reach another by month end.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I'd be happy to switch to Altitude when AC realizes that loyalty should be based on BIS not dollars spent! It makes no sense to me why someone who spends, say, $10,000 on a flight pass and flies a couple times every year on the pass gets elite recognition
You can't get enough AQM to gain status just by buying a flight pass. You would have to purchase an UL flight pass, and that will cost you much more than $10K. And, seriously, how many people have ever done this, just to gain status, with no intention to fly? I'm not sure the logic in using this as an argument is very sound.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.