Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC Cyber Monday Deal - 15% off

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Not possible.
You mean IMPOSSIBRU.
tomvancouver likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
Just tried to book a flight twice each time I got to the end of the transaction I get a "400 Bad Request" message. To add insult to injury the price had gone up the second time I went to book it.

What to do?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: LH Sen
15% off!? Hold the phone, let me break out my wallet
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:00 pm

Gonna leave this here. We can compare tomorrow after the cybermonday sale?
Hmm... Looking at the flight I booked yesterday:

January 5 YEG to YVR one way in standard fare
Yesterday: $182 fare + $48.08 taxes = total $230.08. (economy K)
Cyber Mon: $239 fare + $50.93 taxes = total $289.93. (economy T) -- 15% discount code does NOT qualify

January 17-19 YVR to YEG rt in standard fare
Yesterday: $168 fare + $75.86 taxes = total $243.86. (economy K)
Cyber Mon: $216 fare + $78.26 taxes = total $294.26. (economy L) -- includes 15% discount code

So the Cyber Monday discount saves me exactly nothing, rather it's costing me about 15-25% more!

I'm going to check back tomorrow and see if the prices go back to normal...
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by spriteguy

Cyber Mon: $239 fare + $50.93 taxes = total $289.93. (economy T) -- 15% discount code does NOT qualify

Cyber Mon: $216 fare + $78.26 taxes = total $294.26. (economy L) -- includes 15% discount code

So the Cyber Monday discount saves me exactly nothing, rather it's costing me about 15-25% more!

What were the inventory availabilities at the time? From an exact fare basis perspective?
flyquiet likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Gonna leave this here. We can compare tomorrow after the cybermonday sale?
Wait a few days. They usually leave the price the same until people forget to check how much it was inflated.
There are also typically some genuine reductions hidden among the fake deals.

I've come to the conclusion that the only way forward is to track your proposed flight for weeks/months and jump when it looks good
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs

I saw the same range of price increases for YYC-YEG fares for Dec 14-15 between Saturday night and Cyber Monday, although the 15% discount code does work for my itinerary. Lots of seats still available on the flights we're looking at so I'm debating whether or not to wait until tomorrow.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So when doing price comparisons, is anyone also capturing the exact fare basis available at the time of quote? Because that matters. Otherwise, this thread doesn't mean much, tbh.
flyquiet and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by YYC traveler
I saw the same thing for YYC-YEG fares for Dec 14-15, although the 15% discount code does work for my itinerary. Lots of seats still available on the flights we're looking at so I'm debating whether or not to wait until tomorrow.
Buy it tonight and cancel it within 24hr
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Originally Posted by 24left
Buy it tonight and cancel it within 24hr
Thanks I'd forgotten that was an option to play the AC pricing game.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
Originally Posted by YYC traveler
I saw the same range of price increases for YYC-YEG fares for Dec 14-15 between Saturday night and Cyber Monday, although the 15% discount code does work for my itinerary. Lots of seats still available on the flights we're looking at so I'm debating whether or not to wait until tomorrow.
Last Saturday night was exactly 14 days out from Dec 14. Looking at the prices today, only the fares with an advance purchase requirement of less than 14 days are available. Thus the price increase. You can see the difference ranges of adv purchase requirements in the picture in one of the post above. The is unrelated to AC boosting the prices for this sale.
flyquiet and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
What were the inventory availabilities at the time? From an exact fare basis perspective?
That I have no idea as I don't have access to expert flyer or anything like that

I think it's odd though, as I doubt people are clamouring to book flights to Edmonton in the winter, especially in the last 15 hours from when I booked my flights yesterday. Will report back and see what happens to the fare code over the next few days
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That I have no idea as I don't have access to expert flyer or anything like that

I think it's odd though, as I doubt people are clamouring to book flights to Edmonton in the winter, especially in the last 15 hours from when I booked my flights yesterday. Will report back and see what happens to the fare code over the next few days
Don't get me wrong; I am not trying to refute or agree with what you have experienced or believe....
I just think these type of threads need more objective evidence, and fare basis availability at the time of observance is the key. It could very well be AC is "playing games" with us. Or not.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Don't get me wrong; I am not trying to refute or agree with what you have experienced or believe....
I just think these type of threads need more objective evidence, and fare basis availability at the time of observance is the key. It could very well be AC is "playing games" with us. Or not.
In the UK the consumer group Which? released a report on how most Black Friday deals are not.. But it takes effort and as yyznomad suggests , hard data to prove, which is beyond most of us. What we need is an interested third party. If only.

Oh wait, we have an Office of Consumer Affairs. Not sure what they do but they haven't investigated AC AFAIK in spite of numerous complaints (their words)
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:38 pm

I totally agree with you. If K fares suddenly pop back in the next few days for those flights, I think it be fair to make the conclusion that at least for these flights, cyber monday was a gimmick to sell more fares rather than offering a good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.