Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Cancel web check in and re-check in to fix KTN & get TSA Pre Check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Cancel web check in and re-check in to fix KTN & get TSA Pre Check?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Cancel web check in and re-check in to fix KTN & get TSA Pre Check?

Hi everyone,

I checked in this morning into an Air Canada flight from Canada to YYZ and from there on United to IAH and then to MSY. The last leg from IAH to MSY has a 48 minute layover so I hoped to have TSA Pre Check for that leg in case of delays. I have NEXUS and entered the "wrong" number into the Travel Document number field when checking in - not the PASSID but the other 9 digit number on the right of the card, and didn't get TSA Pre Check. After doing some reading on here, it seems that the PASSID should be entered in the Travel Document field and the KTN field should be left blank, otherwise Air Canada's system can't handle it apparently.

I know there is an option to cancel check-in, but I also paid for 1 piece of checked luggage. If I cancel, and check in, will I have to pay for the luggage again (and if so, does Air Canada at least refund it)? And will it cause any other issues if I cancel check-in and then redo it? Any other way to "fix" me having entered the wrong doc number during check-in?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
1. You will be airside at IAH and won't need to re-clear security.
2. AC can't issue you a boarding pass for another airline with Pre✓. Airlines can only do this for flights they operate.
3. I always enter my NEXUS number in both the travel document field and the KTN field and I never have an issue.
4. There is no issue canceling the check-in and doing it again. However, you will likely have to cancel the check-in then clear APIS in Manage Bookings, then do the check-in again, otherwise it will retain the old information.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:47 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
1. You will be airside at IAH and won't need to re-clear security.
Exactly.

2. AC can't issue you a boarding pass for another airline with Pre✓. Airlines can only do this for flights they operate.
Yes, although one could check in with AC and then again with UA in order to get a BP with PreCheck. I often have to do this coming from LatAm when doing UA-AC via IAH.

3. I always enter my NEXUS number in both the travel document field and the KTN field and I never have an issue.
OP has this backwards. NEXUS number must be in the KTN field to get Pre-Check. I often use passport for the travel document and just put NEXUS in the KTN field and it works fine.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I put NEXUS in travel document field and leave KTN blank (and carry passport but do not enter its number or produce it unless explicitly asked) and I also always get Pre-Check. FWIW
Old Nov 17, 2018, 11:03 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I put NEXUS in travel document field and leave KTN blank (and carry passport but do not enter its number or produce it unless explicitly asked) and I also always get Pre-Check. FWIW
That's interesting. That approach has not worked for me in the past, although it's a couple of years since I tried it.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty sure that based upon passport information, they have access to your nexus file. You enter the US on the nexus/GE line, you can scan your passport. I don't recall ever entering my nexus number, but I seem to get TSA Pre every time. And so does my wife.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:30 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I often use passport for the travel document and just put NEXUS in the KTN field and it works fine.
Ditto, works just fine.

Even mixed AC / UA items seem to pick this up. As recently as yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.