Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-LAS Why Always Rouge?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I think, we are all missing the bigger picture.

The loss of T2 at LAS. It was such a wonderful, crappy terminal. No lineup at security, no line for cabs. It was wonderful
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by lcohen999
The loss of T2 at LAS. It was such a wonderful, crappy terminal. No lineup at security, no line for cabs. It was wonderful
So true!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by RangerNS
yyz-las is 1,943 mi, posted 4:53.
yyz-yvr-las is 3,077 mi total, ~9:30, Rouge segment being 992mi , 2:38

You would fly 1100 mi further and do a connection, adding 4:17 hours, still having a ~2.5 hours in Rouge, all to save less than 2.5 hours in Rouge?
Being short a segment or 1k miles off a status level? Yes Especially before Winter kicked in.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: TK *G
Other than LAS, MCO is another "tourists" destination with lots of business traffic, served by ACr.

I would also name a few airports in the Caribbean. I know someone who flies BGI-YYZ almost bi-weekly, for business purpose.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I went to a conference in LAS in August and to be honest I was not looking forward to flying Rouge.

So I routed YOW - YYC (on mainline) - LAS (on rouge) and then LAS - YVR (on rouge) - YOW (on mainlline). But I booked the whole trip in J (P fare).

I didn't find the Premium Rouge product to be nearly as bad as I was expecting. It's is similar to domestic J (in my opinion). The biggest difference is no seat back entertainment - but the iPads they give you in Premium Rouge were fine and they are more responsive than the older seat back screens anyway (but less content).

Service was a bit more hit and miss than regular J. I had eaten on the YOW - YYC segment, so when they tried to serve me dinner on the LAS segment I asked for just the dessert and she looked a little confused - but otherwise it was fine. The staff seemed friendly, but they certainly have less experience than mainline.

Now, my experience is Premium Rouge, so I cannot speak for Y, but I figured I would give my 2c.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
Originally Posted by jasdou

I have been flying out of YQB for several years and I am still trying to understand what you are saying. Prior to being operated by Sky Regional and rouge, the YYZ-YQB route was definitely operated by Jazz with Q400s year round. There wasn’t any ML aircraft in YQB, even in November, unless as I mentioned above if IRROPS occurred.

But we are getting OT, so I will just stop at that.
Check the schedule for Tomorrow from YQB to YYZ, all rouge and Skyservice. So the point I was making is Jazz is off those routes, there is no mainline, but in its place is rough. Which is surprising in that YQB is more of a business rather that vacation pairing.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dr_torch

So I routed YOW - YYC (on mainline) - LAS (on rouge) and then LAS - YVR (on rouge) - YOW (on mainlline). But I booked the whole trip in J (P fare).

I didn't find the Premium Rouge product to be nearly as bad as I was expecting. It's is similar to domestic J (in my opinion). The biggest difference is no seat back entertainment - but the iPads they give you in Premium Rouge were fine and they are more responsive than the older seat back screens anyway (but less content).
Service on premium rouge is essentially the same as in J mainline. Except for taking care of coats: no closets.

OTOH there are the limitations associated with equipment and number of seats. Boarding is slow because of all the seats in the back and lack of bin space. The 319, I still don't really mind. But I would rather avoid the 763. For the same reasons, plus (1)premium seats are actually quite small, and (2) bin space even in premium rouge is not sufficient.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AC*SE/2.1MM, Flying Blue Explorer, BA Executive Club Blue, AAdvantage Basic, ANA MC
Originally Posted by yul36
Check the schedule for Tomorrow from YQB to YYZ, all rouge and Skyservice. So the point I was making is Jazz is off those routes, there is no mainline, but in its place is rough. Which is surprising in that YQB is more of a business rather that vacation pairing.
Sky Regional rather than Skyservice ?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Stranger
Service on premium rouge is essentially the same as in J mainline. Except for taking care of coats: no closets.

OTOH there are the limitations associated with equipment and number of seats. Boarding is slow because of all the seats in the back and lack of bin space. The 319, I still don't really mind. But I would rather avoid the 763. For the same reasons, plus (1)premium seats are actually quite small, and (2) bin space even in premium rouge is not sufficient.
I will say the bin space in Jr is a problem, compounded by the lack of closet. +2 seats, and their bin is taken up by fire extinguishers and what not, otherwise normally not accessible to this PAX's prying eyes.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I think, we are all missing the bigger picture.

I had a real love/hate relationship with that terminal

Originally Posted by songsc
Other than LAS, MCO is another "tourists" destination with lots of business traffic, served by ACr.

I would also name a few airports in the Caribbean. I know someone who flies BGI-YYZ almost bi-weekly, for business purpose.
I have flown many times to both for work in the past (before Rouge). I guess the bean counters gave reason and it's working.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: AC SE
Rouge is now flying most of the AC flights this fall to the other vacation mecca of YQB.
Who would have ever thought there was enough traffic for 3 A321's a day. Rest of the flights are Skyservice E-175s. First time in a long time no mainline there.
Bolding mine. @NordsFan summarized the situation well. You said that it was the "first time in a long time no mainline" operating in YQB yet it has been more than 10 years since YQB saw regular mainline service. Sky Regional took over the YYZ route from ML at that point. The switch from Q400s to E175 and rouge 319/321s happened on July 1st. I am quite pleased with the aircraft we now get on this route, this is a significant upgrade over the DH4 we were getting before. However there was a reduction in frequency in order to keep the daily seat count constant. I don't see how replacing a Q400 with a mix of E175 and 319/321 could be considered "rough", sorry.

Last edited by jasdou; Oct 19, 2018 at 4:40 am
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by expert7700
Rouge to Vegas because... (pick 1)

-clearly a beach destination
-never any business travelers or conferences
-not enough demand for service more than once a week
-90% of tickets are sold by AC Vacations
OR
-ACr can pack 'em in like sardines with lower crew cost + lower cost per available seat mile

Also, package prices to vegas with hotel or car are only a good deal for one party: the travel seller. The only exception I have found is that sometimes during tech conferences, some sellers who bundle hotel+airfare have lower rates because they pre-negotiate blocks of rooms for every week of the year. In my younger days I'd book those and laugh at the disclaimer which would "prohibit business/conference attendees booking at these rates."
​​​​​​​
You do know that CES and NAB and many other Conferences happen in Vegas right? look at the schedule for the Las Vegas Convention Center its packed with mega trade shows
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I once booked a package on Expedia where the flight was $200, the hotel was $150, but the package was $195.

AC doesn't run mainline and rouge on the same routes.

rouge runs on routes where RASM can't sustain mainline CASM.
I know AC doesn't split "rude" routes with mainline. But that wasn't really my point. Virtually every other airline in the industry offers mainline service to LAS, yet AC can't make the numbers work. I guess their costs must be awfully high since they can't seem to make the numbers work for most other US destinations these days. Funding those executive bonuses takes a lot of cash I guess.

Sorry Cow, but AC remains a joke.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Aselwyn
​​​​​​​
You do know that CES and NAB and many other Conferences happen in Vegas right? look at the schedule for the Las Vegas Convention Center its packed with mega trade shows
I think you missed the sarcasm in that post...Everyone (except AC perhaps) knows that Vegas is convention city.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Virtually every other airline in the industry offers mainline service to LAS, yet AC can't make the numbers work. I guess their costs must be awfully high since they can't seem to make the numbers work for most other US destinations these days.
I wonder why WS is putting Swoop onto LAS, PHX and MCO routes then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.