FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   YYZ-LAS Why Always Rouge? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1935946-yyz-las-why-always-rouge.html)

charlyholly1 Oct 16, 2018 2:42 pm

YYZ-LAS Why Always Rouge?

Wondering why AC provides strictly Rouge service to Las Vegas? We are travelling there with AC Vacations next month and after reading a number of Rouge reviews, I'm not impressed with what people are saying about 767-300's. Unfortunately competitors don't have the hotel options we're interested in. Hopefully I will be presently surprised with the flight. Any insights on this? (Apologize if this has been covered before but in checking available threads I didn't find anything.)

Cheers,
Rob

24left Oct 16, 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by charlyholly1 (Post 30322345)
Wondering why AC provides strictly Rouge service to Las Vegas? We are travelling there with AC Vacations next month and after reading a number of Rouge reviews, I'm not impressed with what people are saying about 767-300's. Unfortunately competitors don't have the hotel options we're interested in. Hopefully I will be presently surprised with the flight. Any insights on this? (Apologize if this has been covered before but in checking available threads I didn't find anything.)

Cheers,
Rob

Ah, but then the answers are buried in the main rouge thread, all 518 pages, started Dec 2012.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...rline-518.html

But simply, rouge costs to AC are significantly lower (labor), rouge customers may or may not be those who travel to more leisure-type destinations and the rest of the AC FT collective can add their thoughts. :D

LondonElite Oct 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Ehm, demographics of the passenger load...@:-)

yyz_atc_qq Oct 16, 2018 3:14 pm

I route YYZ-YVR-LAS when I fly AC so I avoid as much rouge as possible.

Low Roller Oct 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Unfortunately competitors don't have the hotel options we're interested in.

So, forget about vacation packages and next time book the flight you want and the hotel separately.

The seats on those planes are very thin, so you'll feel a jab in your back every time someone behind you reaches into the seat pocket, adjusts their tray, etc. My best advice is to choose the seats right in front of the washrooms since there is a wall behind you instead of annoying passengers but they don't recline if that matters to you.

expert7700 Oct 16, 2018 3:26 pm

Rouge to Vegas because... (pick 1)

-clearly a beach destination
-never any business travelers or conferences
-not enough demand for service more than once a week
-90% of tickets are sold by AC Vacations
OR
-ACr can pack 'em in like sardines with lower crew cost + lower cost per available seat mile

Also, package prices to vegas with hotel or car are only a good deal for one party: the travel seller. The only exception I have found is that sometimes during tech conferences, some sellers who bundle hotel+airfare have lower rates because they pre-negotiate blocks of rooms for every week of the year. In my younger days I'd book those and laugh at the disclaimer which would "prohibit business/conference attendees booking at these rates."

Symmetre Oct 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Joking aside, with the number of conventions and trade shows every week at LAS I am surprised there isn’t at least one mainline flight per day. Then again, AC never fails to disappoint.

OP - call in and see if you can get an exit row. It’s not likely, but you never know. At least that way you won’t face four hours with your knees pinned behind your ears like Bugs Bunny.

StuMcIlwain Oct 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Pay for a preferred seat to get a decent amount of legroom. You'll be glad you did three hours into the flight.

tcook052 Oct 16, 2018 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain (Post 30322562)
Pay for a preferred seat to get a decent amount of legroom. You'll be glad you did three hours into the flight.

Agree. I did when I flew Rouge YVR-LAS and for short flight it was fine for me. Just MHO.

HerpaYvr Oct 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Cheers,
Rob

Manage expectations! Prepare for Rouge and hope for the best. :)
Try and sleep all the way there and pretend it's AC Mainline, Singapore, Thai whatever works for you to get through this. I was forced on Rouge September long weekend to MIA for a JAYS game, i just passed out and avoid the experience of the Rouge flight!

yul36 Oct 16, 2018 4:34 pm

Rouge is now flying most of the AC flights this fall to the other vacation mecca of YQB.
Who would have ever thought there was enough traffic for 3 A321's a day. Rest of the flights are Skyservice E-175s. First time in a long time no mainline there.

jazzsax Oct 16, 2018 4:44 pm

The way I deal with ACR flights is go spend time in the galley. My father used to be an FA and I have tons of stories from my earlier travel days. They like to chit chat and will often give you extras for free and just be overly bubbly and cheery.

Doesn't hurt that the FA's on rouge are also prettier to look at than the dragons on mainline.

24left Oct 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by yul36 (Post 30322701)
Rouge is now flying most of the AC flights this fall to the other vacation mecca of YQB.
Who would have ever thought there was enough traffic for 3 A321's a day. Rest of the flights are Skyservice E-175s. First time in a long time no mainline there.

LOL. Yes, and I did 4 sectors on those ex-AF 321s (with those nasty Recaro seats) for the YQB Do - J in July and Y + FTer Smartie Party in September.

But each flight was packed in the back. In September, it was full of American tourists coming up for cruise season. Not sure they knew exactly which airline they were on and it seemed they didn't care. The flights are a little over an hour.

jc94 Oct 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain (Post 30322562)

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 30322684)
Agree. I did when I flew Rouge YVR-LAS and for short flight it was fine for me. Just MHO.

Takes me a lot less than 3h to be glad of this.

RZR Oct 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq (Post 30322464)
I route YYZ-YVR-LAS when I fly AC so I avoid as much rouge as possible.

You just like AQM 's . and flying.
Extra 8 hours of gate to gate to gate your way for saving about 105 minutes of rouge aircraft. Not worth it.

Im not judging , I did it twice in the last 20 days:D