Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Possible New Long Haul Air Canada Routes in the next 5 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible New Long Haul Air Canada Routes in the next 5 years

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Route to SIN is interesting, with the numbers posted. Combine YYC/YVR and it is possible. IF BKK as a transit point can be added, similar to what BR does for LHR and AMS and it's even more interesting.
I'm surprised to read that there are more YYC-SIN than YVR-SIN passengers (recognizing this is a snapshot analysis). Anyway, a YVR-SIN route is inevitable and has been under discussions for a while - the only questions are timing and ironing out some of the bad feelings from SQ's history serving Canada via ICN. Any new SIN service would be non-stop, but which of the two obvious airlines will actually operate the route is less clear at this stage (my money is on AC, but my hope is for SQ).
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Forget China routes because Canada is currently under political and economic attack, so there is no way a publicly trade company in Canada is going to be investing, let alone the government approving additional routes.
Are Canadian publicly-traded companies willingly reducing or ceasing their investments in China? I understand the political shenanigans that are being played these days, but since when has that dissuaded the private sector from doing business as much as able? I'd wager that if there's profit to made by investing in China, and the route to do so remains open, the current tête-a-tête between Beijing & Ottawa is just background noise to most companies, including Air Canada.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:07 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Regarding YVR-SIN, my hope is also on SQ.
jackmeister likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Ah, I thought you were comparing WS' transborder connectivity in YYC vs their YVR operation, but you meant WS vs AC in Calgary. Sorry bout that.
While I was at the time, it's worth comparing now:

YYC Transborder year round: ATL, DEN, IAH, LAS, LAX, JFK, MCO, PSP, PHX, SAN, PDX
YYC Transborder seasonal: AUS, FLL, HNL, OGG, BNE, AZA, SFO
Total destinations: 18

YVR Transborder year round: HNL, OGG, LAS, LAX, SNA, MCO, PSP
YVR Transborder seasonal: KOA, LIH, PHX, SAN, SFO
Total destinations: 11

Whereas the reverse is overwhelmingly true for AC at YVR vs YYC. AC Transborder is being cut quite a bit.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by marke190
I wonder if AC could make a seasonal YHZ-FRA work with a 737MAX to compete with Condor. This route is already popular with German tourists, and it would allow easier *A connections to Europe/Middle East without backtracking to YUL/YYZ.
I do not see this being a feasible route for AC in the future whatsoever. The flight to LHR is already struggling to fill seats half the time! The Atlantic market is not strong enough to sustain multiple flights to Europe from either YHZ or YYT.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by codfather
I do not see this being a feasible route for AC in the future whatsoever. The flight to LHR is already struggling to fill seats half the time! The Atlantic market is not strong enough to sustain multiple flights to Europe from either YHZ or YYT.
As mentioned in the investor's day keynote and on this forum, it is a route that AC is definitely considering. It's the kind of route that hits the "sweet spot" for the 737Max. If there could only be one TATL from YHZ and AC didn't need to keep their LHR landing slots filled I wouldn't be surprised if YHZ-FRA replaced YHZ-LHR.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:40 am
5mm
Suspended

As mentioned in the investor's day keynote and on this forum, it is a route that AC is definitely considering. It's the kind of route that hits the "sweet spot" for the 737Max. If there could only be one TATL from YHZ and AC didn't need to keep their LHR landing slots filled I wouldn't be surprised if YHZ-FRA replaced YHZ-LHR.
AC could always lease out their LHR landing spots during slow season if they wanted to, , so they could fly YHZ-FRA with no problems.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: AC FOTSG, DL WM
As much as I'd rather see YHZ-MUC instead, I'd be thrilled if AC actually introduced this route. As someone with a messed up knee who's nonetheless stuck flying TATL in Y, anything I can do to break up the trip a bit is a huge help.
Old May 30, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
YHZ has way too many Europe flights in the summer as it is with WS and DE. And given the average fares, I'd rather fly DE's angle-flat 767 to FRA than AC's horrible 7M8. I would prefer to see YYC strengthened.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Ben seems busy over at AF.
I wonder if AC saw this one coming.
Now that they are launching AKL, wouldn't this be an interesting route for AC, leisure of course.
Some interesting points here about pax not transiting the U.S.

Air France Planning Vancouver To Tahiti Route

QUOTES:

"The Canadian Transportation Agency has approved a route request from Air France to fly between Vancouver and Tahiti. "

"Lastly, while I’m not suggesting that this is the motivation for the route, keep in mind that Air France-KLM CEO Ben Smith was at Air Canada before, so he’s obviously very familiar with the market."

https://onemileatatime.com/air-france-vancouver-tahiti/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.