Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Possible New Long Haul Air Canada Routes in the next 5 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible New Long Haul Air Canada Routes in the next 5 years

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by MicSanToro
I totally see where you are coming from but I'd disagree by saying that there are two large links between Calgary and China, the first being Oil & Gas business connections (which brings lots of premium passengers), and the second being the hordes of (often well off) Chinese tourists who flock to Banff. I think AC operating non-stop between YYC and any 2 of HKG/PVG/PEK with the 787 2-3 times weekly could be quite profitable.
I can imagine new YYC-Asia services, but not a world of $20 WCS. When that changes, the airlines will follow suit.

As far as Asian tourism to Canada, I'm aware of the seasonal tourism peaks to places like Yellowknife (northern lights), Algonquin (fall colours) and Banff, but with the very short natural seasons for these types of trips I'm inclined to think that highly-targeted and low-cost services along the lines of the summer 1x weekly Condor flights to YXY would serve demand better than a year-round Air Canada mainline route.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:56 am

I'm surprised AC hasn't started service to South Africa.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:07 pm
Original Member

If AC decided to purchase the A350-900 ULR they would be able to operate routes like YYZ-SYD and YVR-CPT (even if it’s only twice a week or something) which could be quite successful.
I would prefer to see the CRJs on YVR-CPT.
gcashin likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by eigenvector
As far as Asian tourism to Canada, I'm aware of the seasonal tourism peaks to places like Yellowknife (northern lights), Algonquin (fall colours) and Banff, but with the very short natural seasons for these types of trips I'm inclined to think that highly-targeted and low-cost services along the lines of the summer 1x weekly Condor flights to YXY would serve demand better than a year-round Air Canada mainline route.
Agree. NH, JL both have charter flights to YYZ rather than maintaining regular flights.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by imverge
I'm surprised AC hasn't started service to South Africa.
Same here. The B789 can fly from YYZ to both JNB and CPT. If AC wanted routes to SA from the west coast, though, they would need to buy A350-900ULR (in my original post I mentioned how a non-stop YVR-CPT flight would be great).

I understand there are reasons why it won’t hapoen, but if AC bought a dozen A350-900ULR they could run daily flights from YVR-CPT, YYZ-SYD, and YYZ-SIN, and it would really expand their global reach.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
I wonder if AC could make a seasonal YHZ-FRA work with a 737MAX to compete with Condor. This route is already popular with German tourists, and it would allow easier *A connections to Europe/Middle East without backtracking to YUL/YYZ.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
One of the above is another shoo-in. Look to more YVR-west coast South America nonstops in the future as well.
I thought of LIM-YVR, BOG-YVR, but the 73M can't do it, and filling a 788 or A330 might be quite a stretch economics-wise. Even an A321LR Neo wouldn't do. These are rare routes for which the hypothetical Boeing "MoM" aircraft (ie: a 757 replacement) would be needed. Or the 767 I guess.
Then again, if Colombians and Peruvians are desperate to avoid the USA when travelling to Asia, they really don't have a lot of good options other than to use AC.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
I thought of LIM-YVR, BOG-YVR, but the 73M can't do it, and filling a 788 or A330 might be quite a stretch economics-wise. Even an A321LR Neo wouldn't do. These are rare routes for which the hypothetical Boeing "MoM" aircraft (ie: a 757 replacement) would be needed. Or the 767 I guess.
Then again, if Colombians and Peruvians are desperate to avoid the USA when travelling to Asia, they really don't have a lot of good options other than to use AC.
I could see Rouge on YVR-LIM, with arrivals/departures in LIM timed with an Avianca bank of flights providing connections to anywhere else in South America.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
.....t if AC bought a dozen A350-900ULR they could run daily flights from YVR-CPT, YYZ-SYD, and YYZ-SIN, and it would really expand their global reach.
I think your spending and flying patters are different than most. That said, A359 ULRs are not bananas, purchased in bunches or dozens. AC doesn't have loose change lying around and frankly, what many say they should have done was take the options they had on the B789s.

Further, as I suggested yesterday, there is a fascinating discussion on the UA forum about the demographics, fares, and all other matters related to the U.S. flights to SIN on SQ and UA. AC is not UA or SQ. Canada is not the U.S.

Suggestions for possible new routes for AC is very different than what is realistic for AC based on customer base, costs, pricing and so on. IMHO.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I can see the following:

YVR-SIN
YUL-HKG
YYZ-IST (once the new airport is fully operational)

Looking back over the last few years, AC has really expanded quite a bit, and its exciting to imagine whats next!
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:26 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
YVR-SCL would be most welcome.

Anecdotally, the last flights in/out of there I was one most of the J cabin were going to/from YVR anyway. Surprise, surprise, they (other than me and my colleague) all worked for mining companies.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Oct 13, 2018 at 7:27 pm Reason: Corrected for uppercase
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
YVR-SCl would be most welcome.

Anecdotally, the last flights in/out of there I was one most of the J cabin were going to/from YVR anyway. Surprise, surprise, they (other than me and my colleague) all worked for mining companies.
Venezuela? Really?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Stranger
Venezuela? Really?
I think s/he meant SCL.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I think s/he meant SCL.
Mining. Could be indeed.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pitz
Exactly this. With the current political climate in the US, it's a good time for AC to expand into Central/South America to offer travellers connections to Asia and Europe without needing to transit the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.