Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Salvage a ticketed aeroplan reward cancellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Salvage a ticketed aeroplan reward cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:12 pm

Just wondering can I future change to a total different route with more or less miles required? (ie. orifinal reserved MEL-YVR, change to YVR-IST instead)

for example original a 55K flight, futuredate change to a 12.5K flight and just no show?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Plumber
Change the outbound flights to a time that is > 22 days in the future, then later cancel the flights for a full refund of points.

You will need to pay a change fee, then later pay a cancellation fee to get the points back.

Let us know how it goes.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Just wondering can I future change to a total different route with more or less miles required? (ie. orifinal reserved MEL-YVR, change to YVR-IST instead)
39. Flight reward changes to the destination/region or class of service may result in a lower mileage level than the original flight reward; the mileage difference is forfeited and cannot be used to cover any applicable Taxes, Fees and Surcharges associated to the flight reward booking resulting from the change.
ecgz88 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:34 pm

so if I don't have any Aeroplan status, cancel within 22 days will be at least $100 change fee (for 1 way)+ $150 cancel fee, total $250+tax right? seems pretty high

Originally Posted by beep88
39. Flight reward changes to the destination/region or class of service may result in a lower mileage level than the original flight reward; the mileage difference is forfeited and cannot be used to cover any applicable Taxes, Fees and Surcharges associated to the flight reward booking resulting from the change.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by ecgz88
so if I don't have any Aeroplan status, cancel within 22 days will be at least $100 change fee (for 1 way)+ $150 cancel fee, total $250+tax right? seems pretty high
You can refund online for $30 plus taxes....
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Plumber
You can refund online for $30 plus taxes....
If you have Aeroplan Diamond status, which the poster said they don't. So, the discounted rate wouldn't apply.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
If you have Aeroplan Diamond status, which the poster said they don't. So, the discounted rate wouldn't apply.
Oh Thanks for the clarification....

So yes, it is expensive then.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan
Thanks everyone for the suggestion - I am back to report the result as DP. As above mentioned I had re-ticketed the booking previously, and waited a week. Today I cancelled online using the AE site and selected refund, and it worked! The points are reinstated to the account after payment of the refund fee. Thanks for all everyone who chimed in!

To answer an outstanding question above - yes I understand that instead of refund, we can instead change the destination or date, but neither would work in our specific circumstances.

Thanks again!
Plumber likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM
Thanks for following up zephyr7. I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but I'm in a similar situation: I have two J class round trips to Asia that were cancelled in January '18 and must be re-used by January '19. I understand as above it should be possible to rebook the flights and cancel/select refund. I was wondering if it is possible to change the passenger name on a cancelled booking as I could re-use the flights elsewhere within the time frame? (The original passenger had a serious injury in the spring and will not be able to travel within this time frame).
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:31 pm

Someone else asked a similar question lately. Name changes not permitted. You’ll need to change dates and then cancel.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YEG USER
Someone else asked a similar question lately. Name changes not permitted. You’ll need to change dates and then cancel.
I believe it is this one?

Aeroplan ticket name change
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

I asked multiple reps during my attempts above and the answer is no, you cannot change the names for sure.

Once the booking is rebooked to a future date and refunded, you can then use the refunded aeroplan miles to rebook with a different name if so desired.
YYZHRE likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM
Thanks all for the info all. Worked perfectly on both tickets and was able to get the miles refunded without a problem.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:10 am

Looking for clarification-- I booked a J flight for 2 people last May 19/18 for travel one way CDG-YYZ May 8/19. We are now not able to take this flight. I understand my choices are cancel/refund or change flight. I would like to change it to sometime in September/19. Is this possible? Do I just need to rebook before May19 or does the rebooked flight need to occur before the issue date of May 19. I am just not clear about the wording from the site as noted below. Also when I check with Manage My Bookings I don't see any button to cancel anywhere. Thanks for your help!
"Sometimes, you’ve got no choice—you just have to cancel. If you don’t want to change your ticket, you have up to two hours prior to your scheduled departure to cancel it (you can even do this yourself online in the Manage Your Rewards section!). You then have a whole year from the date it was issued to re-book your trip. There is no fee at time of cancellation, but a non-refundable change fee will apply when you call us to re-book."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.