Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

First Time Ever in Air Canada Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Hi. I'll be flying SEA - YYZ and YYZ - YUL, and YUL - YVR and YVR - YYJ in paid Air Canada Business class for the first time ever. What have everyone's experiences been with AC's North American business class ? Is the service really better than economy or will I be disappointed? Can one push the call button and actually get a smiling attendant to come and ask you what you'd like? How about all the other benefits that come with it? When you pay for it rather than get it as an upgrade, do you feel like it's worth it?

Thank you for all your help!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Since your routes are all served by narrow body aircraft you won't experience the superior Signature transcon soft and hard product found on AC's wide body aircraft. That said,I consider AC's domestic/transborder product much better than US domestic first/business as found on narrow body flights, likely equal to what UA, AA and DL provide on their keystone transcons between NYC and LAX/SFO (save for those products lay flat seats...which AC does offer on its wide body transcons). Only preflight water/juice, a small bottle of water, then after takeoff drinks and nuts before a full hot meal at any time of day on transcons (three choices of main course), lighter meal on shorter flights. On longer flights, there will also be an offering of chips, chocolates and other snacks an hour or so after the meal has been concluded. Yes, FAs respond to call buttons though can't promise a smile. And you'll have access to Maple Leaf Lounges (UA Club at SEA). Note that meal selection priority is given to AC's elites so you may notice the FA going back and forth asking people for their choice.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
YUL-YVR is a Signature Service route. There are two daily wide bodies in the current schedule, one for the early morning flight and one for the evening flight.

As for the OP's question about the call button, some AC FAs studiously ignore it so feel free to flag down any passing FAs or wander up to the galley to request a drink or snack at any point in the flight unless the seatbelt light is illuminated.

AC's cabin service can vary widely, there are some delightful crews who will ensure that you have a well-hydrated flight and there are others that play their best game of hide-and-seek with the passengers. So if you want something, ask for it.

Depending on the time of day, it may be preferable to have a meal at the airport before departing and try to sleep as much as you can on the transcon flight. The in-flight meal can be a novel experience if you haven't flown in business class before, but plane food is still plane food and the best I can say about it is that it's hot, edible and fills the stomach.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eigenvector
YUL-YVR is a Signature Service route. There are two daily wide bodies in the current schedule, one for the early morning flight and one for the evening flight.

As for the OP's question about the call button, some AC FAs studiously ignore it so feel free to flag down any passing FAs or wander up to the galley to request a drink or snack at any point in the flight unless the seatbelt light is illuminated.

AC's cabin service can vary widely, there are some delightful crews who will ensure that you have a well-hydrated flight and there are others that play their best game of hide-and-seek with the passengers. So if you want something, ask for it.

Depending on the time of day, it may be preferable to have a meal at the airport before departing and try to sleep as much as you can on the transcon flight. The in-flight meal can be a novel experience if you haven't flown in business class before, but plane food is still plane food and the best I can say about it is that it's hot, edible and fills the stomach.
I am on the 13:10 departure that is serviced with a Boeing 737 MAX. Are there any services specific to the "Signature Service" aspect of the route (vs. standard business class) that I will receive even though I won't be able to receive any of the aircraft-specific ones?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Nagoya172
I am on the 13:10 departure that is serviced with a Boeing 737 MAX. Are there any services specific to the "Signature Service" aspect of the route (vs. standard business class) that I will receive even though I won't be able to receive any of the aircraft-specific ones?
No.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriot, Hilton, IHG, P25K
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Since your routes are all served by narrow body aircraft you won't experience the superior Signature transcon soft and hard product found on AC's wide body aircraft. That said,I consider AC's domestic/transborder product much better than US domestic first/business as found on narrow body flights,
I find AC's domestic business is not as nice as Delta's domestic first/ business product on board.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 27, 2018 at 7:21 am Reason: fix quote
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
If you keep your expectations modest, then you'll be happy with the service.

I like AC's domestic business class more than UA's. I don't have any experience with AA/Delta.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Best domestic/transborder business/first product in the North American skies, with the exception of the flat bed premium products on certain US transcons.

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Since your routes are all served by narrow body aircraft you won't experience the superior Signature transcon soft and hard product found on AC's wide body aircraft. That said,I consider AC's domestic/transborder product much better than US domestic first/business as found on narrow body flights,
Originally Posted by leisurefly
I find AC's domestic business is not as nice as Delta's domestic first/ business product on board.
Totally disagree. AC's domestic and transborder J is better than Delta's - and it isn't close.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 27, 2018 at 7:23 am Reason: fix quotes
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Is it better than AC economy?
-Its hard not to be
Do you feel it's worth it after
-Sorry, not a chance on a domestic narrowbody. Unless it was free.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
I think the most charitable thing that can be said is that it's superior to flying economy. The seats will be comfortable and the service adequate, and you should arrive without sore knees. The most accurate description of what to expect is that offered by eigenvector above. As for comparisons to other airlines' products, they're not relevant. The OP isn't flying AA, UA or DL; it was AC he/she asked about. We all have our biases and preferences, based mainly upon allegiance and personal experience rather than objective assessments.

For those stage lengths, I'd personally buy an economy seat, but would happily accept a J seat if an employer/client paid the fare. The value received for the extra dollars spent is for me, lacking.

But we're all sounding curmudgeonly. If it's your first time, enjoy the experience. It's nice to receive the small doses of added attention, sit in comfort and not worry about gate-checking bags. I hope this is your first of many future trips up front.
jasdou, qrctraveller, m.y and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
It certainly is a step up from economy, just manage your expectations. It will be a nicer, bigger seat, the food will be better and you won't have to pay for it. Do take advantage of visiting the lounges, just for the experience if nothing else. Similarly, take advantage of the priority checkin, security and boarding queues.

Don't necessarily expect to be waited on hand and foot, but that being said I've never been left hungry or thirsty either. Don't be afraid to push the call bell if you do want something, or visit the galley to ask. Most of all, enjoy your first time in the front!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.