Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Delay on September 3 AC18 TPE-YVR; Any insight into the flight remarks and the ETA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delay on September 3 AC18 TPE-YVR; Any insight into the flight remarks and the ETA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Some photos of the fun taken by @gabdusch and 24left. Not sure if @Nazdoom has his to add.

After about a half hour delay from scheduled departure time, we push back

We sit here for significantly longer than usual, listening to the different sounds coming from the engine, some of which sounded like power fluctuations, while looking at the two who would have waved goodbye, something I enjoy when departing TPE and NRT/HND

Sometime after the tests failed, captain advised we were going to park at a remote stand while everyone figured the out.

The fire truck arrived. Then the stairs were moved, all manner of maintenance crews boarded along with others.

@gabdusch got this cool and interesting shot of the inside of the door

Meanwhile, the sun has set

And 3 hours later, we are finally on our way.

I am sure we were all happy to have left late rather than be forced to remain in TPE should another aircraft have been required. I really felt for the babies, children and others in the cabin who were rather uncomfortable in the heat (approx 29C) due to the doors being open for so long.

As I noted upthread, there was more than one issue that caused this delay, not just the engine issue and failure of the generator. Flew with both of the SDs, Cameron and Chris, on previous flights and I think they did an exemplary job in managing. They, the FAs, the pilots, the AC concierge and station manager all did the best they could under the circumstances and we all eventually made it to YVR. I'll bet it was not pleasant for the large number who missed their onward connections. I made it home in time for the chirping birds.

I get that these things happen, but as I mentioned, I have rarely had anything remotely close to on-time ARRIVAL on any of my AC TPACs in the past 1.5 years (based on tracking these things) and this year alone, the large number of mechanical issues delaying my flights have been nuts (for lack of a better word). This trip on 4 AC flights included delays due to air bleed (the domestic flight), the outbound TPAC problem with the air conditioning packs, the lengthy delay on the return TPAC as per this thread and the further delay of my transcon last night to another maintenance issue and that was a new bird.

And we just had an almost identical experience recently on different TPAC trips, where almost all of our originally booked flights were not flown due to mx and the single one that was flown as booked was also AC and 2.5 hours late.
wrp96, gabdusch, Diabeetus and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
And yet,despite the poor OTP, and the unreliable equipment, some people will still book with Air Canada.
Due to past negative experience, I avoid AC for TPE. Thankfully the wonderful EVA flies the route.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 24left

Well, there were actually a few things going on, not the least of which was the failure of the generator and then the testing of the engine.

We finally departed TPE 3 hours late

Looks like my vast collection of TPE trips (and all the TPACs in general) on AC are exceeding expectations for never arriving on time.

I have some photos which I’ll post when I’m not in between flights. Lol?
Well at least you were not on the KIX-YVR flight ....well, actually no one was at least for the past 2 days.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:01 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Well, I guess they are nothing if not consistent.

Any idea what the OTP is of these flights? Odd questionI know, but I'm still on the hunt for one worse than the miserable 6% of YYZ-SCL.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bohemian1

Any idea what the OTP is of these flights? Odd questionI know, but I'm still on the hunt for one worse than the miserable 6% of YYZ-SCL.
According to flightstats.com for the period 15 June-15 Aug, AC 18 TPE-YVR was on time 40% of the time. It was late 21% of the time. It was very late or excessively late 40% of the time. It was never cancelled or diverted during the three months reported.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 9:17 am
Suspended

A couple of thoughts re the recent AC trip experience involving mechanicals, maintenance and delays.

In terms of OTP

Since January, I've flown 7 x AC 17 and 9 x AC 18. Few were on time. The AC 18 delays were almost all caused by late AC 17 inbound. This week's AC 18 had enough mechanical and maintenance issues causing its own delay. I am not sure why the AC 17s are delayed. It leaves YVR at approx 11:00am and in some cases, the aircraft is actually already on the ground in YVR, not inbound from elsewhere. And yet, I've been on flights with the non-inbound aircraft were not ready to go and so we sat. I spoke with crews about this but won't post here.

When AC 17 is late to TPE, the pressure is on the ground crew etc to turn it around and get AC 18 going. But it's not the fault of the TPE ground crews.

I also wonder why I am standing at the gates in YVR waiting to depart on AC 3 to NRT, but the inbound is late from ICN or PVG or elsewhere.

The sense I get from a variety of sources and experiences, is that the planning of the turn-around time is too short, especially on the long-haul TPACs. I do not work for AC. I do not work at the airport. But like many here on AC FT, I spend a lot of time on these TPAC routes and I find it baffling.

I am well aware that on some winter flights, we had winds as a challenge, but that is not always the reason.

My other AC TPAC routes are also late, but HKG and NRT have some different issues.

Mechanicals and Maintenance

I have my own opinion of the challenges AC faces with birds that go weird or fleet constraints, leading to long departure delays and a large number of missed connections. I may write about it in another thread.

Finally, looking at this trip which involved 3 different domestic cities and 2 different Asian cities, ALL FOUR of our AC flights had mechanical and maintenance issues. ALL FOUR! The first one was delayed 35 minutes while they had to sort out the bleed air, the outbound TPAC had air conditioning issues and at one point, the captain indicated that if it wasn't solved by a certain time, the flight would be cancelled. We left an hour late. Not terrible, but still. The return AC 18 was a mess of varying proportions and of course we misconnected in YVR. My onward transcon was also delayed due to maintenance plus connecting pax.

And for good measure, the previous TPE trip had the transcon go mechanical with hot brakes (that aircraft eventually got to YVR 11 hours late !) We were able to get on other flights to our destination but then AC 18 was 2.5 hours late, which caused us to misconnect and so the story goes.

Last edited by 24left; Sep 5, 2018 at 1:36 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AC*A
At YVR in particular lately I have had some horrible issues with deplaning and CBSA control of corridors. The flight that arrives just before AC025 departs invariably has occupied the sterile corridor meaning that we cannot board until the entire aircraft is empty, often a 30-40 minute delay. CBSA and YVR ops could control this better - redirect up a closer escalator to the sterile walkways rather than down the long hallway to the other escalator - but these aren't always posted as delays.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
A couple of thoughts re the recent AC trip experience involving mechanicals, maintenance and delays.

In terms of OTP

Since January, I've flown 7 x AC 17 and 9 x AC 18. Few were on time. The AC 18 delays were almost all caused by late AC 17 inbound. This week's AC 18 had enough mechanical and maintenance issues causing its own delay. I am not sure why the AC 17s are delayed. It leaves YVR at approx 11:00am and in some cases, the aircraft is actually already on the ground in YVR, not inbound from elsewhere. And yet, I've been on flights with the non-inbound aircraft were not ready to go and so we sat. I spoke with crews about this but won't post here.

When AC 17 is late to TPE, the pressure is on the ground crew etc to turn it around and get AC 18 going. But it's not the fault of the TPE ground crews.

I also wonder why I am standing at the gates in YVR waiting to depart on AC 3 to NRT, but the inbound is late from ICN or PVG or elsewhere.

The sense I get from a variety of sources and experiences, is that the planning of the turn-around time is too short, especially on the long-haul TPACs. I do not work for AC. I do not work at the airport. But like many here on AC FT, I spend a lot of time on these TPAC routes and I find it baffling.

I am well aware that on some winter flights, we had winds as a challenge, but that is not always the reason.

My other AC TPAC routes are also late, but HKG and NRT have some different issues.

Mechanicals and Maintenance

I have my own opinion of the challenges AC faces with birds that go weird or fleet constraints, leading to long departure delays and a large number of missed connections. I may write about it in another thread.

Finally, looking at this trip which involved 3 different domestic cities and 2 different Asian cities, ALL FOUR of our AC flights had mechanical and maintenance issues. ALL FOUR! The first one was delayed 35 minutes while they had to sort out the bleed air, the outbound TPAC had air conditioning issues and at one point, the captain indicated that if it wasn't solved by a certain time, the flight owed be cancelled. We left an hour late. Not terrible, but still. The return AC 18 was a mess of varying proportions and of course we misconnected in YVR. My onward transcon was also delayed due to maintenance plus connecting pax.

And for good measure, the previous TPE trip had the transcon go mechanical with hot brakes (that aircraft eventually got to YVR 11 hours late !) We were able to get on other flights to our destination but then AC 18 was 2.5 hours late, which caused us to misconnect and so the story goes.
Ouch. I will be off to TPE end of the month and hope I am one of the lucky ones with no delays.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by Bohemian1

AC95 EZE-YYZ has now dropped to 4% reliability, while AC93 SCL-YYZ has improved to 8%.

AC TPE-YVR is consistently late though, so I would actually call that reliable in that I can almost certainly score an IRROPS protection re-route or a hotel + meal voucher, every single time.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Some photos of the fun taken by @gabdusch and 24left. Not sure if @Nazdoom has his to add.
Sorry Nazdoom is a bit behind but great photos! Just not enough kit kats
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Sorry Nazdoom is a bit behind but great photos! Just not enough kit kats
Correct. As you know, I woke up and saw only 3 in the snack basket, grabbed them, handed them to you for safe-keeping and eventually, for our photo.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

In an effort to remind AC about the importance of on-time departures, I wrote into customer relations regarding the delay. Was offered a 25% code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.