Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan redemption in J, AC portion in Y what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G

Folks,

Sorry if that has been answered in the past. Looking at an aeroplan redemption, using points for business class. LH portions are in J, but the AC portions to and from FRA are in Y.
My question is if I have already reedemed points for business class, but I am booked in Y for AC, how do I make sure that I get a seat in J? What's the pecking order for seat in J class i.e. before all upgrades have cleared? Is there anything I should do at checkin to make sure I get a seat in J? Call the concierge, etc.....?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Check in online, then email the concierge.

"I have a business class Aeroplan booking, but AC xyz is only confirmed in economy. Please add me to the onload list for business class."

You'll appear on the list in the app.

As with all desired cabin changes, the order is cabin, status, fare class. As you are confirmed in economy, you will be below anyone confirmed in premium economy who wants an upgrade, but ahead of anyone with lower status in economy.

You should keep an eye out for premium economy and business availability on your flights. I find the website doesn't always show PY in the J searches, so it's possible it's already available. Confirming it ahead of time is, by far, the best way to ensure you sit there.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:18 pm

Unfortunately those overseas segments are the hardest to waitlist for as they are the most coveted, heavily discounted for revenue purchases, and the most likely for AC to sell as LMU's. I would never advise trying such with an overwater segment. Some boring business-empty route like YWG-YEG, a much different story.

There's 3 daily YYZ-FRA, 2 AC, 1 LH. If there's an earlier flight than the one you're confirmed, you may be able to standby on it for business. Standby is free per the T&C of a AP J redemption. So if you're confirmed on AC876, the late FRA flight, and you show up for AC872, you might get 2, maybe even 3 kicks at the can with the codeshare. Maybe someone else can verify how or if this works. The downside being, if you can't clear, then you're stuck in the T1 Int'l YYZ MLL for many, many hours (and yes, you're eligible!).

As with all desired cabin changes, the order is cabin, status, fare class. As you are confirmed in economy, you will be below anyone confirmed in premium economy who wants an upgrade, but ahead of anyone with lower status in economy.

That's not quite exactly the case. A 'paid for J' ticket such as an AP J ticket with confirmation only in Y has priority over the people looking for unconfirmed coupon upgrades, and status, if encoded to the reservation is only at best a tie-breaker.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
That's not quite exactly the case. A 'paid for J' ticket such as an AP J ticket with confirmation only in Y has priority over the people looking for unconfirmed coupon upgrades, and status, if encoded to the reservation is only at best a tie-breaker.
Maybe in theory you are right. In practice, Aeroplan business ticket confirmed in economy will be behind everyone else. It will only be ahead of others in the same situation (Aeroplan tickets confirmed in economy), but with lower status.

I had an international business class Aeroplan ticket, with YVR-YYZ segment confirmed in premium economy. No status. I appeared in the upgrade list in the app after check in, but towards the bottom of the list. Many people who had economy boarding passes (not premium economy like me) cleared ahead of me. The gate agent explained that the upgrade is by status and fare, and since I have no status and my fare is Aeroplan redemption, I will be behind everyone else.

This happened twice to me, so I am pretty sure about how it works in reality, regardless of what the theoretical rules may be.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by echino
Maybe in theory you are right. In practice, Aeroplan business ticket confirmed in economy will be behind everyone else. It will only be ahead of others in the same situation (Aeroplan tickets confirmed in economy), but with lower status.

I had an international business class Aeroplan ticket, with YVR-YYZ segment confirmed in premium economy. No status. I appeared in the upgrade list in the app after check in, but towards the bottom of the list. Many people who had economy boarding passes (not premium economy like me) cleared ahead of me. The gate agent explained that the upgrade is by status and fare, and since I have no status and my fare is Aeroplan redemption, I will be behind everyone else.

This happened twice to me, so I am pretty sure about how it works in reality, regardless of what the theoretical rules may be.
I can't envision how anyone in Y would have cleared ahead of you.

I've only done this on two-cabin aircraft recently, but I was at the bottom of the SEs, above all the E75Ks.

Since cabin comes first, I don't know how they could split the list the way you describe.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I can't envision how anyone in Y would have cleared ahead of you.

I've only done this on two-cabin aircraft recently, but I was at the bottom of the SEs, above all the E75Ks.

Since cabin comes first, I don't know how they could split the list the way you describe.
At least one of those cleared from Y to J ahead of me was, according to YVR GA, a SE on a paid ticket. She told me since I have no status and I am on Aeroplan ticket, I will be behind him. I ended up traveling in PY as booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.