Wiki Posts
Search

Instant Prestige recognition?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2003, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA PP, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PC
Instant Prestige recognition?

Hi, I know this is not the most important question in this changing times of AC, but I'll ask you anyway...

A friend of mine joint Aeroplan in January this year and already has collected 25k miles. He's going to fly UA transatlantic in a couple of weeks. He's looking for a seat in E+ but IIRC there is no instant recognition for Prestige status, only for Elite. Is there any way for him to get a seat in E+ at the time of reservation or only by asking at the check-in to sit "more up front"? Would AC confirm his Prestige status at this time?
Old Jun 2, 2003, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Okay I can't resist....

I'm sorry but the words "instant", "prestige" and "recognition" really have no place in AC's world

Seriously, NO. Prestige status is only given in Feb/Mar of the year after it is earned and so far as I know there is no way of getting E+ at time of booking without status, unless you have a fairly expensive fare at which point it may be eligible - call UA to find out.
Old Jun 2, 2003, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:
Okay I can't resist....

I'm sorry but the words "instant", "prestige" and "recognition" really have no place in AC's world

Seriously, NO. Prestige status is only given in Feb/Mar of the year after it is earned and so far as I know there is no way of getting E+ at time of booking without status, unless you have a fairly expensive fare at which point it may be eligible - call UA to find out.
</font>
Also you need to be Elite or Gold to get the seats I think. If you have a friend flying with you who is GOLD you both will be seated in E+

Old Jun 2, 2003, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Nope Prestige/Star Silver is eligible for E+, unless there has been a recent change. IMHO this is the biggest benefit of Prestige - sad but true.

Edited to add from UA website:

"Economy Plus seating
Economy Plus is available on most North America and many international flights. Advance seating assignment in Economy Plus is available on a first-come, first-served basis to the following customers:
Mileage Plus members who have Mileage Plus Premier status or above.
Star Alliance Gold and Silver members.
Customers traveling on fares booked in Y, B or M class."

[This message has been edited by Altaflyer (edited 06-02-2003).]
Old Jun 2, 2003, 2:25 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Im Prestige (obvious with a name like this ) and got E-Plus seats on a few flights this summer without any problems. I called United directly to make seat selections.

------------------
Prestige
Old Jun 2, 2003, 2:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Prestige:
Im Prestige (obvious with a name like this ) and got E-Plus seats on a few flights this summer without any problems.</font>
You're lucky you don't get the lav seating like Z-boy
Old Jun 2, 2003, 5:53 pm

Programs: AC Elite
Why is it that the website states that both Prestige and Elite will be given "Instant Recognition"? I have recently completed 33 segments this year and my status still says "Basic".
Old Jun 2, 2003, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Western Flyer:
Why is it that the website states that both Prestige and Elite will be given "Instant Recognition"? I have recently completed 33 segments this year and my status still says "Basic".</font>
Where is that website? I only found
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">You must qualify for Aeroplan Super Elite, Aeroplan Elite and Aeroplan Prestige membership every year. The qualifying period for Year 2004 Aeroplan top-tier membership is January 1 to December 31, 2003.

Once your membership status has been verified, your 2004 benefits will be valid from March 1, 2004, to February 28, 2005. Your benefits package and new membership card will arrive by March 1, 2004.</font>
on www.aeroplan.com/en/collect/collect_status_miles.jsp
Old Jun 2, 2003, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Ok, I found what you mean: www.aeroplan.com/en/rewards/status_benefits.jsp

The chart obviously shows that Prestige and Elite status will be instantly recognized, however, when clicking on "Instant recognition" it says:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Instant Recognition - Every year you strive to achieve the highest Aeroplan status possible so that the coming year will be the best it can be. But what if you were rewarded for your efforts, immediately?
As an Aeroplan Elite and Prestige member, you will enjoy the fruits of your labour right away.

Aeroplan Elite members:

Accumulate 100,000 Aeroplan Status Miles or 150 Aeroplan Status Flight Segments before mid-November 2003, and you will be awarded Aeroplan Super Elite status, right away. Your 2003 Aeroplan Super Elite package will arrive by mail and will outline all the benefits and services you can enjoy until you receive your new 2004 Aeroplan Super Elite package towards the end of February 2004.

Aeroplan Prestige members:

Accumulate 35,000 Aeroplan Status Miles or 60 Aeroplan Status Flight Segments before mid-November 2003, and you will be awarded Aeroplan Elite status. Your 2003 Aeroplan Elite package will arrive by mail and will outline all the benefits and services you can enjoy until you receive your new 2004 Aeroplan Elite package towards the end of February 2004.</font>
These are very obviously the requirements for Super Elite and Elite, not Prestige, I guess somebody from AP screwed that up.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:22 am

Programs: AC Elite
I sent Aeroplan an email regarding this two weeks ago and I guess they have other priorities right now because they have not responded. Maybe they figure ignoring me will make me go away.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 10:38 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cattle:
You're lucky you don't get the lav seating like Z-boy </font>
Old Jun 5, 2003, 2:06 pm
formerly ssw207

Programs: BAGld, JLJGC, TK*G, EK-G, HH Dia,IHG Amb-PE, Bonvoy Gd, Shangrila DM
I thought "Instant Prestige recognition" was only reserved for Elites and Super Elites who identifies themselves and present their membership cards at check-in?
Old Jun 5, 2003, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
In fairness to AC for not granting Instant Prestige, let's consider that since most other STAR programs [and other FF programs] have a 25K mileage threshold for their initial elite tier, and 50K for their mid-tier. This means one must do a fair bit of flying before hitting the initial elite tier. On the other hand, AC has set the theshold rather low -- yes, I know for domestic fliers, it is quite high in comparison since one only earns 50% mileage on discounted fares -- so anyone flying between eastern Canada to Asia can almost achieve Prestige in a single trip. Someone flying to Australia will earn it on their first return trip. This would mean AC would have to prepare Prestige kits mid-year for thousands of travellers who might never make use of them or the benefits. It would be quite a costly procedure.

On the other hand, given that Elite can be earned at 35K, any of these fliers who are going to become true FFers, can earn mid-year Elite status after two trips across the Pacifc to Australia, or two to Asia with a couple of domestic or transborder transcons.

Since STARSilver benefits, and those of Prestige itself, are minimal, I see no problem with AC's approach. Serious FFers are going to make Elite easily enough, while not giving "instant Prestige" lets AC keep the numbers within cost-manageable range.

If your intent is to get STARSilver to take advantage of UA's Y+ seating, then I suggest enrolling in Mileage Plus and flying 25K status miles to earn the benefit that way. [I would think AC's STAR partners also want it to keep the number of Prestiges under control so they don't have to offer those benefits to too many of AC's customers who might want to take advantage of them.]
Old Jun 5, 2003, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

SH, I do agree with you, but I don't get your point when you wrote

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If your intent is to get STARSilver to take advantage of UA's Y+ seating, then I suggest enrolling in Mileage Plus and flying 25K status miles to earn the benefit that way.</font>
does UA have instant recognition for their Premier status? Otherwise it does not make too much sense to me since ROP's or AP's limits are significantly lower.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Someone flying to Australia will earn it on their first return trip. ]</font>
This is what gets me cranked. Fly to Australia round-trip and get P status. A friend of mine is doing just that in a few weeks for about $3500. In a few weeks Ill be at 11 segments and well over $3500 spent and will only have 6000 Q miles! So I will spend more than 3x as much to get to P. Segments should be reduced because when you travel domestically its difficult (expensive) to achieve status. Nothing new I guess but I just felt like sharing my frustration.

------------------
Prestige

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.