Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
For those of you interested only in the revised $450-million deal and related discussion, it starts on post 418:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1926409-update-aimia-accepts-air-canada-td-cibc-visa-revised-450-million-aeroplan-bid-28.html#post30109427
Print Wikipost

Update: Aimia accepts Air Canada, TD, CIBC & Visa revised $450-million Aeroplan bid

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newfbc
From the article..
National Bank Financial analyst Gabriel Dechaine estimates the program now delivers $400-million in profit to TD and CIBC combined.

I assume that's annually. If that's the case, they, along with AC should have no problem going to $450 million.
They I would assume they can just sweeten the offer on their own without any contribution from AC.

However they will need support from AC. For them the value is associated with AC, not with AE.

Seems the main issue is that their contract with Aimia goes until 2024.

Anyway, this thing is getting more entertaining by the day. Looks like for points holders the story might not end up as badly as people feared.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
Seems the main issue is that their contract with Aimia goes until 2024.
Introducing the TD Porter Airlines Visa Infinite card and CIBC Air Transat World Elite Mastercard! Now every purchase you make will take you further....away from Billy Bishop airport!

Safe Travels,

James
roubaolic likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu
That's $6500 to spend on Flair or Transat come June 2020. Perhaps even $13000.

Interesting to see delusion setting in amongst AC loyalists that they will start with anything but zero mid-2020.
well said!
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder, even though the contract the banks have with AE runs into 2024, but if after the divorce, what AE offers point holders is substantially different than what the contract was based upon, could the banks walk out and leave Aimia in the cold? And negotiate a fresh deal with AC? Which leaves the question of miles balances up in the air though.

TD seems pretty aggressive with AE at this point.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Introducing the TD Porter Airlines Visa Infinite card and CIBC Air Transat World Elite Mastercard! Now every purchase you make will take you further....away from Billy Bishop airport!
I thought you were going to say
".. Now every purchase you make will make your realize it'll take forever to get to redemption"

I wonder, even though the contract the banks have with AE runs into 2024, but if after the divorce, what AE offers point holders is substantially different than what the contract was based upon, could the banks walk out and leave Aimia in the cold? And negotiate a fresh deal with AC? Which leaves the question of miles balances up in the air though.

TD seems pretty aggressive with AE at this point.
TD/CIBC's contracts with ae may have clauses about ae/AC still be together and may be invalid after June 2020. Everybody knows the relationship with ae is based on ae being together with AC. But the clauses may be too weak and ae can play hardball to disallow breakage or negotiating with AC for new deals with Altitude. That's why TD/CIBC/Visa were in the buy out deal, so that they are not in some legal fight as 2020 gets closer.

With the rumor of AC having draft deals with MC, it makes TD/CIBC/Visa nervous, and buying ae is the best way out. All 4 parties in AC/TD/CIBC/Visa have different but all good reasons to buy out ae.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I happened to see this in a G&M article today: (source https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...-takeover-bid/)

At the moment, Aeroplan’s most valuable members are frequent Air Canada flyers, largely owing to a deep-rooted relationship between the two companies that dates back decades. Aeroplan was originally built in-house at Air Canada in 1984, and although it was spun out in a 2005 initial public offering, the two have shared a long-standing contract that guarantees Aeroplan members 8 per cent of seats on every Air Canada route each month

Is that in fact correct that 8% of every AC route was allocated to Aeroplan? Sometimes it never felt that way.

2nd question is this---last year there were several Aeroplan/AC joint promotions. There were some decent ones with triple points for PE/J tickets to Asia as one example. Anyone see these coming back later this year?

Seems to me if Aeroplan and AC are in some sort of turf war, why would there be any extra bonuses for AC flights?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mapleg
I happened to see this in a G&M article today: (source https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...-takeover-bid/)
That's the link I posted yesterday.

Is that in fact correct that 8% of every AC route was allocated to Aeroplan? Sometimes it never felt that way.
Yes. Well known around here.

2nd question is this---last year there were several Aeroplan/AC joint promotions. There were some decent ones with triple points for PE/J tickets to Asia as one example. Anyone see these coming back later this year?

Seems to me if Aeroplan and AC are in some sort of turf war, why would there be any extra bonuses for AC flights?
These where AC promotions. AC buying miles from AE for their promotion. Just like banks. Might still happen, although you would think AC might now be somewhat reluctant...
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
That's the link I posted yesterday.

Yes. Well known around here.

These where AC promotions. AC buying miles from AE for their promotion. Just like banks. Might still happen, although you would think AC might now be somewhat reluctant...

I just wanted to post a paragraph of the article for those who are not G&M subscribers.

Yeah, I think AC would be reluctant to buy more miles from AE for promotions. Too bad---I liked some of those promos.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:24 pm

Depends. The AC/AE contract allows AC to allocate mileage however they wish, but there is a fairly significant minimum number of miles AC must purchase from AE on an annual basis.

When AC first spun off AE pretty much all fares earned at least 100% RDM, but now Tango fares earn 25% domestically, etc. I’d always assumed that promotions such as EYW and others were a way for AC to ensure they were meeting the minimum mile purchase requirements.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
It's been several days without news from any party. We're all wondering what the next move by the AC group would be. It makes sense for AC to up the offer, and buy somewhere close to $450M. But TD seems to have some reservation. Well, TD thought they won the ae contract from CIBC before, only to have CIBC threatening to sue, and CIBC end up keeping a big share of the CC business. TD wants to be cautious, to make sure they don't get too many more surprises.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by yscleo
It's been several days without news from any party. We're all wondering what the next move by the AC group would be. It makes sense for AC to up the offer, and buy somewhere close to $450M. But TD seems to have some reservation. Well, TD thought they won the ae contract from CIBC before, only to have CIBC threatening to sue, and CIBC end up keeping a big share of the CC business. TD wants to be cautious, to make sure they don't get too many more surprises.
Therein lies the problem: TD + CIBC + AC = a lot of people to deal with = a lot of opinions to handle. That they came up with an offer at all is mildly amazing. I would assume that right now, the 3 parties are still trying to talk to each other but I would also assume that AE is talking quietly to TD and to CIBC to keep them at bay.

Canadian cardholders are clearly addicted to AE points which keeps the banks happy. But I don't think TD nor CIBC particularly care that AE points are redeemable on AC. I do think the banks care that AE points are redeemable on "real" airlines and not just PD and LCCs. If AE were to somehow sign up OneWorld or SkyTeam, I think we'd see the banks back off immediately. So long as AE can demonstrate that they're in serious talks, I think the banks will be content to wait a little more.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: *G
I've been noticing TD Visa Infinite ads for benefits that are not directly associated with flying, such as free wine tastings, breakfast at 900 "luxury" hotels, special dinners (expensive), and there is also the new Lounge at Toronto's Union Station. Are these part of their strategy to deal with the breakup, or have they always been around?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:49 am

Agreement reached

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...l?tc=eml_mycnw

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Air Canada / TD Bank Group / CIBC / VISA Canada Corporation07:30 ET
  • Purchase price consists of $450 millionin cash and the assumption of approximately $1.9 billion of Aeroplan Miles liability
  • Agreement in principle was unanimously approved by Aimia's Board of Directors and is supported by Mittleman Brothers
  • Transaction would provide value for Aimia and its shareholders and continuity for Aeroplan members and customers of Air Canada, TD, CIBC and Visa
  • Transaction subject to negotiation of definitive agreements and other conditions; completion expected fall 2018
TORONTO, Aug. 21, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada, The Toronto-Dominion Bank ("TD"), Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce ("CIBC"), Visa Canada Corporation ("Visa") (collectively, "the Consortium") and Aimia Inc. ("Aimia") announced today that they have entered into an agreement in principle for the acquisition of Aimia's Aeroplan loyalty business.

"We are pleased to see that an agreement in principle has been reached as Aeroplan members can continue to earn and redeem with confidence. This transaction, if completed, should produce the best outcome for all stakeholders, including Aeroplan Members, as it would allow for a smooth transition to Air Canada's new loyalty program launching in 2020, safeguarding their miles and providing convenience and value for millions of Canadians," said Calin Rovinescu, President and CEO of Air Canada, on behalf of the consortium.

The transaction is expected to deliver significant value to Aimia's stakeholders and the agreement in principle was approved unanimously by Aimia's Board of Directors upon recommendation by its Special Committee of independent directors. Mittleman Brothers, LLC, Aimia's largest shareholder who owns approximately 17.6% of Aimia's common shares, has provided a lock-up and support agreement under which it has agreed to vote in favour of the proposed transaction.

The aggregate purchase price consists of $450 million in cash and is on a cash-free, debt-free basis and includes the assumption of approximately $1.9 billion of Aeroplan Miles liability.

The transaction is subject to the satisfactory conclusion of definitive transaction documents, Aimia shareholder approval, and certain other conditions, including due diligence, receipt of customary regulatory approvals and completion by the Consortium of credit card loyalty program and network agreements for future participation in Air Canada's new loyalty program.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by doesun

Agreement reached

https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...l?tc=eml_mycnw

NEWS PROVIDED BY

Air Canada / TD Bank Group / CIBC / VISA Canada Corporation07:30 ET
  • Purchase price consists of $450 millionin cash and the assumption of approximately $1.9 billion of Aeroplan Miles liability
  • Agreement in principle was unanimously approved by Aimia's Board of Directors and is supported by Mittleman Brothers
  • Transaction would provide value for Aimia and its shareholders and continuity for Aeroplan members and customers of Air Canada, TD, CIBC and Visa
  • Transaction subject to negotiation of definitive agreements and other conditions; completion expected fall 2018
TORONTO, Aug. 21, 2018 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada, The Toronto-Dominion Bank ("TD"), Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce ("CIBC"), Visa Canada Corporation ("Visa") (collectively, "the Consortium") and Aimia Inc. ("Aimia") announced today that they have entered into an agreement in principle for the acquisition of Aimia's Aeroplan loyalty business.

"We are pleased to see that an agreement in principle has been reached as Aeroplan members can continue to earn and redeem with confidence. This transaction, if completed, should produce the best outcome for all stakeholders, including Aeroplan Members, as it would allow for a smooth transition to Air Canada's new loyalty program launching in 2020, safeguarding their miles and providing convenience and value for millions of Canadians," said Calin Rovinescu, President and CEO of Air Canada, on behalf of the consortium.

The transaction is expected to deliver significant value to Aimia's stakeholders and the agreement in principle was approved unanimously by Aimia's Board of Directors upon recommendation by its Special Committee of independent directors. Mittleman Brothers, LLC, Aimia's largest shareholder who owns approximately 17.6% of Aimia's common shares, has provided a lock-up and support agreement under which it has agreed to vote in favour of the proposed transaction.

The aggregate purchase price consists of $450 million in cash and is on a cash-free, debt-free basis and includes the assumption of approximately $1.9 billion of Aeroplan Miles liability.

The transaction is subject to the satisfactory conclusion of definitive transaction documents, Aimia shareholder approval, and certain other conditions, including due diligence, receipt of customary regulatory approvals and completion by the Consortium of credit card loyalty program and network agreements for future participation in Air Canada's new loyalty program.
Looks like AE got what they wanted.
Now lets see if the agreement with PD and Transat stands and I assume negotiations with Oneworld are now dead.
No mention of the split by partners of the $450M and also the 'liability'. Wonder that these points will now be worth i.e. will AC stand pat, devalue or devalue in an transfer to Altitude. Or even if they move ahead with their own program as they have stated many times.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Wonder what now happens to Amex and Membership Rewards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.