Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC drops Beirut inagural flt due to "national security"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC drops Beirut inagural flt due to "national security"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:
Wonder how much this little escapade will cost AC in protecting all of the booked pax? This seemed like a bonehead move from square one.</font>
I don't know about that. All the more power to AC if they are the only NA carrier to service BEY non-stop. It may turn out to be a revenue generator for them if they think that they can capture more cnx pax from this side of the pond that prefer not to connect in FRA, LHR or CDG. I only wonder why CATSA had no problems with the new service until this week. Odd, no?
Old Jun 3, 2003, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if the US had some involvement in the decision...

What would happen if Ottawa had said, "Screw the Americans!"?
Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Well, technically, it is a made in Canada decision.

But when the consequence of saying, "screw the Americans," is further disruption along the border, you have to balance the loss of this business opportunity for AC and the associated spinoff, against the massive economic impact of further border clampdowns.

Yeah, it's made in Canada. But it's made in Canada with a metaphorical gun to Cabinet's collective head.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a report on CBC Radio -- the people are pretty hopping !
Old Jun 3, 2003, 3:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E
There were rumours that MEA was planning to fly to YUL from BEY this fall. Wonder if this will also take place?
Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YOWkid:
There's a report on CBC Radio -- the people are pretty hopping !</font>
DONT listen to CBC radio/TV they get $1billon in Govt. grants the sooner we end that the better. If all of us started to complain think how much money each TAXPAYING person would save MAYBE 10 millon people pay taxes so $1 billon in taxes back would be nice!
Start a thread "save money CUT the CBC!"

Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by why fly:
DONT listen to CBC radio/TV they get $1billon in Govt. grants the sooner we end that the better. If all of us started to complain think how much money each TAXPAYING person would save MAYBE 10 millon people pay taxes so $1 billon in taxes back would be nice!
Start a thread "save money CUT the CBC!"
</font>
C$1B? Oh, that's nothing. When the spending goes to 10B, then talk to me about it.

[This message has been edited by YOWkid (edited 06-03-2003).]
Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:08 pm
Suspended

[QUOTE]Originally posted by YOWkid:
[B] C$1B? Oh, that's nothing. When the spending goes to 10B, then talk to me about it.

What does the BBC get?? and how many live in the UK?
Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by why fly:
What does the BBC get?? and how many live in the UK?</font>
I have no clue how much the BBC gets, but they get a heck of a lot more. To operate a TV legally, you have to get a "TV license". It's 112 a year per tv. Assuming 60 million people and one tv per person, that's 6.720.000.000.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, how the hell can Wayne Easter (SolGen) revoke AC's permission? Shouldn't it be Collonette doing it?

Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:23 pm
msn

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YOWkid:
By the way, how the hell can Wayne Easter (SolGen) revoke AC's permission? Shouldn't it be Collonette doing it?

</font>
He doesn't have Air Canada's phone number anymore.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:24 pm
Suspended

I have no clue how much the BBC gets, but they get a heck of a lot more. To operate a TV legally, you have to get a "TV license". It's 112 a year per tv. Assuming 60 million people and one tv per person, that's 6.720.000.000.</font>
We should do the same in Canada if you want CBC you have to pay for it!

Old Jun 3, 2003, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
The BBC budget is more than 4 billion annually from all sources. That's over C$10 billion, or 10x what the CBC gets from the Feds. [CBC also earns C$300 million or so from TV advertising.] All the rest of the "cultural" spending coming from Ottawa totals less than $500 million, so a country with twice the population of Canada [the UK] spends 5x as much just on its public television and radio, than we do on all the arts and cultural activity across a country many times larger in size, and operating in two languages. And in the UK, if you don't buy your annual TV license, you can go to jail.

So you see, we don't have it all that bad...
Old Jun 3, 2003, 7:35 pm
BA

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold
This act is simply to please the United States and Israel (yes there have been reports that Israel was involved too).

This article might interest some of you:
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/.../?query=beirut

I saw that many of you are curious about the loads.

Todays flight (first flight) was booked at 237 on an aircraft that accomodates 228. The flights are selling like hot cakes. They've exceeded all of Air Canada's expectations.

Yes MEA has been thinking about flying to YUL. Since they have A330s now, they can do so. But I doubt they'll be allowed to fly to YUL, the US government will tell Canada to ban them.

And for those of you who are concerned about safety. Tel Aviv is located in the most unstable country in the world yet Air Canada and Continental fly there. Talk about double standards.

According to a recent study, Beirut (and Lebanon in general) is the safest city in the Middle East.

Canada has never been targetted or threatened from Lebanon. Not once. Infact, Canada and Lebanon have many many ties both politically and economically. Relations are quite good.

Take a look at this picture inside Beirut Int'l Airport and take a look at the black sign on the right:
http://users.adelphia.net/~nabilb727...rDeparture.jpg

I feel sorry for those 200 passengers that had to be informed last minute.

This is a move to please the US government and the Zionists.

Simply disgusting....

Kudos to Air Canada for standing up and wanting this route.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 7:44 pm

I may be asking for a flame war here, but I was quite happy this route was cancelled on one level, but on the other, I could envisage it as a great 'terrorist control' if our government had the audacity to roll a bus up plane-side, take everyone in for some serious questioning, and clear only those with nothing to do with hamas, hezbollah, and any other so-called 'anti-zionist' organization. Now all these wonderful people will just clear through a third country and will be able to do their mayhem without effective immigration control.
Yes, I realize many innocent and honorable people live in lebanon, but the country is controlled by Syria, and a whole lot of people round there would like the "zionist entity" to disappear off the face of the earth, forgetting a minor matter like the 1948 UN partition resolution and the fact that, come whatever the "anti-zionists" might think, Israel has the right to defend itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.