Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC739 Daily Delays - Why?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
That's right, but at least he can then ask for a YYZ direct to Asia!

If that flight is always late , and AC isn't changing anything, I wonder what % of passengers are connecting on it.
It's fine, because all the passengers that miss the connection the previous day, will just take the seats of the passengers missing the connection Today.

There is only a problem if AC arrives on-time
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy

Originally Posted by eugeneo1
I was on this flight Aug 11 (the one due to 'bird strike'), and got me into SFO too late to catch UA1. And the AC agents really sucked at service recovery here. On the ground at YYZ, I told them that I would miss-connect, and they did not offer any routing even though there was plenty of options to get to Singapore via FRA or even SQ1 out of SFO leaving there at 1:15AM (There was availability according to EF). None of the agents would actually go ahead and check the system if it was possible or not - they made no effort to re-route me . All the Air Canada staff on the ground at YYZ and in the air indicated that all miss-connecting passengers would be provided a hotel in SFO. Guess what? Once we landed they were like, umm nope no hotels for anyone since it was out of our control... Had I known, I would not have gotten on the plane to SFO... ughhh... /rant over.
This is my routing too!!!
Old Aug 12, 2018, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Guys for providing all these historical records.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC50K, OZ*G
If you were on UA1, you were likely on a TPAC only fare , which means you would not be able to get reprotected via the Atlantic.

Did you ask AC to stay in YYZ and wait for the next day? Yet another thread where waiting a day is better than going on the routing...
Well I didn’t ask to stay in YYZ since they were offering rooms at SFO.

I think what got me the most is AC’a unwillingness to help at all. Initially when I called United before leaving YYZ and they offered YYZ-FRA-SIN with the FRA leg being on Lufthansa which would have gotten me in at 4PM or so. I declined this as I thought AC as the misconnecting carrier would have better options. By the time I was able talk to AC I wasn’t able to get on the FRA flight due to timing - learnt my lesson there.

Kudos to United (my ticketing carrier) for this IRROPS recovery - they helped me out when they really didn’t need to. They got me on a flight via NRT that gets me in earlier.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Did they refuse rebooking on SQ1 when you arrived in SFO and they wouldn't give you a hotel?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
What a bunch of complainers...

AC 739 is on time 34% of the time....
lixiaojuventus and smallmj like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you were on UA1, you were likely on a TPAC only fare , which means you would not be able to get reprotected via the Atlantic.
In IRROPS, I'm about 101% sure ticketing rules no longer apply.

I've seen YYZ-SFO-YVR offered. I've even seen YVR-YYZ-SFO offered. Sometimes a "strange" routing will need justification, but "Misconnect; quickest alternative" is perfectly adequate.

My best advice is to deal with issues as early as possible.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by D582
It appears to be on time today (12 Aug)!
Hallelujah!!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by canadiancow

I've seen YYZ-SFO-YVR offered. I've even seen YVR-YYZ-SFO offered. Sometimes a "strange" routing will need justification, but "Misconnect; quickest alternative" is perfectly adequate.

101% is a very high percentage.

But do note that these two routings are neither Transatlantic nor Transpacific fares. Domestic/TB are very different beasts. Similarly, doing an all AC repro is going to be different than a multi carrier reprotection.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
101% is a very high percentage.

But do note that these two routings are neither Transatlantic nor Transpacific fares. Domestic/TB are very different beasts. Similarly, doing an all AC repro is going to be different than a multi carrier reprotection.
My apologies.

What was the all-AC reprotection you had in mind for YYZ-SIN?

I agree they very much want to keep you on AC if you were originally on AC, but I've never met an agent who wouldn't reroute you on other airlines when sensible.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Next time I encounter IRROPS en route to YYT from YUL/YYZ/YHZ/YOW, I'm going to ask to be rerouted via LHR.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:50 am

YYZSIN AC direct incoming? lol

No but what I mean is that if it's multi carrier, and the flight is TATL only, you can't just reroute TPAC. Reasons would range from JV agreements on revenue shares to protecting abuse of reprotecting YVRNRT to things like YVRFRANRT.

Often times, there are viable options in the same global direction so it's fine.

That being said, AC is very inconsistent, and it wouldn't be hard to get an agent to do it since they wouldn't know better.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
YYZSIN AC direct incoming? lol

No but what I mean is that if it's multi carrier, and the flight is TATL only, you can't just reroute TPAC. Reasons would range from JV agreements on revenue shares to protecting abuse of reprotecting YVRNRT to things like YVRFRANRT.

Often times, there are viable options in the same global direction so it's fine.

That being said, AC is very inconsistent, and it wouldn't be hard to get an agent to do it since they wouldn't know better.
But as evident upthread (eugeneo1), he was offered reprotection YYZ-FRA-SIN. I just checked, the continents haven't relocated so YYZ-FRA is still TATL, whereas his original routing was TPAC. His ticket was issued by UA so perhaps UA is more generous (and in my experience, they are).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by YYT82

But as evident upthread (eugeneo1), he was offered reprotection YYZ-FRA-SIN. I just checked, the continents haven't relocated so YYZ-FRA is still TATL, whereas his original routing was TPAC. His ticket was issued by UA so perhaps UA is more generous (and in my experience, they are).
Just because an agent offered something, doesn't mean we can take it at face value.

We are quick to trash on agents when they get things wrong and it's not in our favour/policy. So similarly, just because it's in our favour, we can't just assume it's policy and call it a day.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Today (13 Aug), the day I’m on it, slightly delayed again due to late inbound from TLV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.