Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Ryanair: We want to destroy the airline business as we know it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Interesting article in today's online Guardian (London) about Europe's biggest no-frills airline, Ryanair:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/airlines/s...969421,00.html

Some snippets:

"Mr O'Leary added that Ryanair expected to become Europe's biggest internationally scheduled carrier, beating Lufthansa and British Airways, within three years."

"Passenger traffic in 2002-03 grew by 42% to 15.7 million. The airline's planes were 84% full, compared with a figure of 81% in 2001-02. Ryanair managed strong profits, despite a time of deep turmoil in the airline industry."

"Ryanair, however, has increased its profits for 15 successive years. "
Old Jun 3, 2003, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In a way, I really wish they would stop calling intra-EU / Europe flights as 'international'. Unless if Ryanair flies to a different continent, they really truly aren't an 'international airline'. But that's my opinion.

And, I shiver at the thought of sitting in one of their 737s to cross the Atlantic. *more shivering*
Old Jun 3, 2003, 12:06 pm

I suspect that a significant part of their profit is due to excess luggage charges. They are unforgiving if you exceed their limit.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 12:08 pm

As I've said before: I hate the man, I hate his airline, but I wish them both all the best.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:35 pm

These low wage airlines have more surcharges than an AP or AM ticket. And buy the time you pay for the buses to and from the major city to the airport that is 75k away, you don't save a cent.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 1:38 pm

I guess the word for what you are saying would be "intercontinental".

Do you know if Ryanair 737s are configured similarly to Air Canada or Alaska Air's 737s? Are the seats particularly narrow or jammed? I'm taking a couple of Ryanair flights in the next month.

A few months ago, I sat for 5 hours in an Alaska Air 737 on a LAX-YVR flight next to my daughter in a 2-seat row next to the galley near the back of the plane. We were stuck on the ground for 2 hours while they reloaded cargo. An intercontinental flight wouldn't be any worse if leaving from the east coast to London. And it wasn't that bad (but I'm only 5'7).

Edit: Now I'm wondering if it was an MD-80. I've flown both on Alaska - either way, it wouldn't make much difference for 5 hours.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YOWkid:
In a way, I really wish they would stop calling intra-EU / Europe flights as 'international'. Unless if Ryanair flies to a different continent, they really truly aren't an 'international airline'. But that's my opinion.

And, I shiver at the thought of sitting in one of their 737s to cross the Atlantic. *more shivering*
</font>

[This message has been edited by WillTravel (edited 06-03-2003).]
Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:08 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
I think pitch is 30 / 31". If you get the exit row, there's a window seat with no seat in front of you (and so picture YYCOllie running across the tarmac to get said seat for both legs on STN-DUB).

Unpleasant seating throughout the rest of the plane, I imagine.
Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Grats on your 500th post there YYCOllie. You're falling behind in catching up to your hero!
Old Jun 3, 2003, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YYCOllie:
I think pitch is 30 / 31". If you get the exit row, there's a window seat with no seat in front of you (and so picture YYCOllie running across the tarmac to get said seat for both legs on STN-DUB).

Unpleasant seating throughout the rest of the plane, I imagine.
</font>
Yeah, it's Ryanair's special, "Less Room Throughout Coach: We give 'sardines' a new meaning -- we treat you like them and we make sure you know it... We make the RJs look luxurious." *shiver*
Old Jun 4, 2003, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YYZC2:
As I've said before: I hate the man, I hate his airline, but I wish them both all the best.</font>
Old Jun 4, 2003, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YYZC2, I agree with you entirely... but I think hate is a bit too strong of a word -- perhaps strongly despise?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.