Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International one way pricing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by emilio911
Only from Canada to Europe? Why not in the opposite direction?

Also, please educate me, is it possible to buy these "consolidator tickets" online?
Step 1 be a travel agent
Step 2 buy 100 tickets
Step 3 buy 100 cruise tickets
Step 4 ????
Step 5 Profit
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Step 1 be a travel agent
Step 2 buy 100 tickets
Step 3 buy 100 cruise tickets
Step 4 ????
Step 5 Profit
Still not sure where to find consolidator pricing. Are they on skyscanner or hipmunk?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by emilio911
Still not sure where to find consolidator pricing. Are they on skyscanner or hipmunk?
Consolidators get preferential one way pricing to help them sell one way cruises. Say YYZBCN on AC, and then you cruise across the Atlantic by boat. They have specific contracts/tour codes/etc.

These are private fares between a consolidator (selloffvacations, voyage bergeron, Air Canada Vacations, etc). Though now that I think of it, I believe some of these actually don't do their own ticketing and go through a third party that will book on their own GDS. This is why it's a gigantic pain in the ... to change your tickets at times.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by james dean
Why is that? I know many times I want to fly to Europe on AC but return on another carrier ie/ BA AF AA etc. It's like your stuck with one carrier with the crazy high one-way fare...
The simple answer. There was this spunky upstart call WestJet that was breaking all the rules. Offering domestic and trans boarder flights a discount without the Saturday night stay over.

There is no competitive pressure to do the same overseas.

Most people buy the cheapest return possible and throw away the ticket. If you want to go out on AC and return on another airline, talk to a travel agent they might be able to ticket that. AC interlines with all the legacy airlines.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Consolidators get preferential one way pricing to help them sell one way cruises. Say YYZBCN on AC, and then you cruise across the Atlantic by boat. They have specific contracts/tour codes/etc.

These are private fares between a consolidator (selloffvacations, voyage bergeron, Air Canada Vacations, etc). Though now that I think of it, I believe some of these actually don't do their own ticketing and go through a third party that will book on their own GDS. This is why it's a gigantic pain in the ... to change your tickets at times.
Yeah, but still. Where are the one-way fares to Europe swaigiux is talking about?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Stranger
Of course. But when McDo comes up with a higher price for people who only half of their burger, you tihng a court will let them get away with that?

Bottom line, tariffs are not the law. And as far as I know no airline so far has taking the chance of having these sorts of rules tested in court. Going after TAs yes. Bullying people, yes. But going to court, I think not. Guess what, they might lose, and likely so. So for the time being, bullying us works so much better.
Yes. Really the only time that AC could realistically get away with enforcing this is when they have concrete evidence of someone using round trip tickets with the explicit intention of avoiding paying a higher fare for a one way trip - such as someone boasting on FT that they had done this for precisely that reason.

I actually recall a time some years ago when I was stuck in the LHR transit area having missed my connection to MAD and the agent at the IB ticket desk actually suggested that I buy a throwaway return ticket as it would be cheaper than buying a one way.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by sparseflyer
r/t fares are combinable on a half r/t basis with another half r/t fare that is also combinable.

So you can take half a prc90 and half a zrc90 to create a p outbound and z inbound round trip.

But you cannot take half a prc90 to create a one way fare, unless prc90 is also published as a one way with its own specific cost.

Check china. Asia has quite a few. For tatl it's mostly the j/c y/b that do.
+1,000,000

Originally Posted by sparseflyer
also this isn't new.
+299,792,458
skybluesea likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by Fiordland
The simple answer. There was this spunky upstart call WestJet that was breaking all the rules. Offering domestic and trans boarder flights a discount without the Saturday night stay over.

There is no competitive pressure to do the same overseas.

Most people buy the cheapest return possible and throw away the ticket. If you want to go out on AC and return on another airline, talk to a travel agent they might be able to ticket that. AC interlines with all the legacy airlines.
Good answer, move to the front of the class and take the apple...Lol
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:34 pm
Suspended

friend wanted to go from Sydney to LAX in Xmas school holidays using Qantas &/or Virgin Australia frequent flyer points.

He could only find dates in one direction that suited(amazing that he found any at all in school holidays).

Anyway, if he did one way ff tix & other way cash, it was going to cost him, 80% of cost of a return paid ticket.

In the end he found standard Virgin ff seats in one direction & Qantarse ff seats in other.

Sign of the times when you can get any standard award tickets in school holidays. Normally you wouldn't even bother looking. Just read an article about how the OZ economy is heading for massive financial crisis, far worse than the GFC.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:47 am

Return tickets are more convenient for airlines as they can easily decide their staffing and scheduling. About letting go of the return leg its not advisable if you often fly. Airlines may blacklist you or may also chase you for the difference of the fare (chances are rare).
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by angelamartinusa
Return tickets are more convenient for airlines as they can easily decide their staffing and scheduling. About letting go of the return leg its not advisable if you often fly. Airlines may blacklist you or may also chase you for the difference of the fare (chances are rare).
don't be ridiculous. No airline is going to blacklist anyone. They can't even track passengers with the same name/dob especially if passengers has different passport.

Most airlines will have trouble surviving the massive recession of 2019-2020
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:16 am

Please tell me more about the future.
canadiancow and emilio911 like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
I often take Transatlantic cruises. They are one-way cruises to/from Europe so I always need to buy a one-way ticket to either get home (Halifax) or get to Europe where my cruise is leaving.

The airlines which offer true one-way fares that I've either used or looked into is....

Westjet
AerLingus
TAP Portugal
Air Transat (for the most part)
Iceland Air
WOW Air
Norwegian (they don't fly to Canada, but it's still really cheap for example to fly AMS-NYC for $250 one way, then buy a $150 one way ticket from NYC-YHZ and total cost is $400. Not bad)
Don't forget Condor. They even fly YHZ to FRA and MUC.
There also was a French airline, too, for a few years, but they didn't serve YHZ this year. I think Westjet pushed them out.

For some reason, Air Canada had reasonable one-way fares from YHZ to LHR (but not the other way round) for years before Westjet entrered the LON market. I think AC no longer offers those prices. I don't know the background.
​​​​​​
Turkish (not in YHZ) sometimes has good TATL one-way prices. I've seen very cheap one-way business on Ukrainian to NYC. Also check Singapore and NZ (US, not Canada).

There are more.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:49 pm
Suspended

with Primera gone, average fares will surely increase at least in short term. Who will be next airline to fail ?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
AC offers OW x IST, typically via CPH or LHR to YVR w 1st leg on TK for rock bottom $700-800 in Flex depending on day of week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.