FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   International one way pricing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1922711-international-one-way-pricing.html)

Mauricio23 Jul 31, 2018 1:47 pm

International one way pricing

I seem to recall that at some point one-way pricing on Air Canada was half of round-trip pricing on basically all fares. This is no longer the case, at least in the sense that tango standard and flex fares do not seem to be available for one-way itineraries, but are available for round trip ones. This takes us back to the days when it was cheaper to buy a round-trip ticket and throw away the return leg, rather than to buy the one-way. If it helps, I'm looking at EZE-YVR one-way fares 11 months from now (don't ask).

tcook052 Jul 31, 2018 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mauricio23 (Post 30032810)
I seem to recall that at some point one-way pricing on Air Canada was half of round-trip pricing on basically all fares.

Domestic and transborder tickets yes but not Int. AC fares which are still sold as round trip.

james dean Jul 31, 2018 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 30032858)
Domestic and transborder tickets yes but not Int. AC fares which are still sold as round trip.

Why is that? I know many times I want to fly to Europe on AC but return on another carrier ie/ BA AF AA etc. It's like your stuck with one carrier with the crazy high one-way fare...

Mauricio23 Jul 31, 2018 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by james dean (Post 30032908)
It's like your stuck with one carrier with the crazy high one-way fare...

Precisely because of this.

james dean Jul 31, 2018 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mauricio23 (Post 30032977)

There must be something else, which I get the airlines wants to roundtrip fare could it be an ICAO or IATTA ruling because all airlines are doing this..

Geoflying Jul 31, 2018 3:01 pm

Aeroplan redemptions one way are 50% of round trip miles but the same calculation does not apply to paid fares unfortunately. Additionally it can easily be very different in one direction from the other internationally. Airlines will charge what they believe they can get away with :(

emilio911 Jul 31, 2018 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by james dean (Post 30032984)
There must be something else, which I get the airlines wants to roundtrip fare could it be an ICAO or IATTA ruling because all airlines are doing this..

My thought is that it's because airlines are liable for the cost to fly the passenger back to the point of departure in case of entry refusal/deportation.

Norcanair Jul 31, 2018 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by james dean (Post 30032984)

Respectfully, JD, this is not the case for all airlines. Westjet, for example, sells transatlantic one-ways on the cheap, without roundrip requirements. I've booked many in recent years.

james dean Jul 31, 2018 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Norcanair (Post 30033139)
Respectfully, JD, this is not the case for all airlines. Westjet, for example, sells transatlantic one-ways on the cheap, without roundrip requirements. I've booked many in recent years.

Ok good to know! BTW I like your handle Norcanair...that's going back a lot of years, a good airline too!

Norcanair Jul 31, 2018 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by james dean (Post 30033204)
Ok good to know! BTW I like your handle Norcanair...that's going back a lot of years, a good airline too!

Good eye on the handle - thanks! The first airline I ever flew. Was too young to speak of its comparative quality, though dad flew it weekly and it came to be known in our home as Tincanair. I suspect that was more his deep sense of irony than anything else, though.

And just to stay on topic, I've bought a few one-ways on Transat YYZ-GLA at normal pricing, iirc.

SparseFlyer Jul 31, 2018 3:44 pm

R/T fares are combinable on a half R/T basis with another half R/T fare that is also combinable.

So you can take half a PRC90 and half a ZRC90 to create a P outbound and Z inbound round trip.

But you cannot take half a PRC90 to create a one way fare, unless PRC90 is also published as a one way with its own specific cost.

Check China. Asia has quite a few. For TATL it's mostly the J/C Y/B that do.

Also this isn't new.

somedude3210 Jul 31, 2018 7:05 pm

I recall seeing Rogue fares that had cheap TATL one-ways...for destinations that WS flies to.

mapleg Jul 31, 2018 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by somedude3210 (Post 30033759)
I recall seeing Rogue fares that had cheap TATL one-ways...for destinations that WS flies to.

Purely coincidence.;)

robsaw Jul 31, 2018 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mauricio23 (Post 30032977)

Where "this" is anti-competitive behaviour that has evaporated domestically/transborder but not internationally.

expert7700 Jul 31, 2018 11:42 pm

Add Egyptair and Aer Lingus to the list of carriers that I have found great one way fares from (at least for J class departing from Toronto)