Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quiet pilots on AC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Just to be clear, are you saying that from the time you boarded the aircraft to the time that you deplaned, there were no announcements from the flight deck whatsoever? What about prior to takeoff and/or during taxi? I don't think that's what you meant; just curious.
Correct. Nothing from the flight deck whatever. Unless I missed it (possible, but I doubt it).
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 24left
Your AC experience is interesting and it seems different than mine. Perhaps due to routings?

[...]

I'll assume there is SOP for these things as well as those at the discretion of the captain.
What you describe (in the bits that I clipped out for space considerations) is more typical, for sure. But I've had a not insignificant number where there was no pre-departure message from the flight deck. I think the international ones have always had the pilot/co-pilot come on, but I'm thinking YYC to YYZ, IAH or YVR, maybe.

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
I believe the airline requires AC pilots to make a cabin announcement prior to takeoff and before top-of-descent.
Since that seems to be the most common outcome, I don't doubt that that's the policy, but we all know how much trouble AC has getting staff to follow policy a lot of the time.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 1:55 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / FB Platinum / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Pilot Radio Silence

Had two Jazz flights a couple of weeks ago (to/from EWR) and on both occasions there was zero communication from the cockpit. No welcome or flight info announcements, and not even "flight attendants be seated". I don't recall a flight before where the pilots were totally MIA like this vis a vis communications with the cabin. I personally find it reassuring when I hear from the pilots and this was somewhat unsettling. Is there any AC policy around pilot comms or is it left to the discretion of the individual flight crew? Or do certain flights or airports such as EWR require such heavy workload that the pilots choose to forego cabin announcements?
Old Feb 21, 2024, 3:17 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by Far Siren
Had two Jazz flights a couple of weeks ago (to/from EWR) and on both occasions there was zero communication from the cockpit. No welcome or flight info announcements, and not even "flight attendants be seated". I don't recall a flight before where the pilots were totally MIA like this vis a vis communications with the cabin. I personally find it reassuring when I hear from the pilots and this was somewhat unsettling. Is there any AC policy around pilot comms or is it left to the discretion of the individual flight crew? Or do certain flights or airports such as EWR require such heavy workload that the pilots choose to forego cabin announcements?
YMMV, but usually on short segments (e.g. YOW/YYZ) I find most flights decks only announce "flight attendants please be seated for takeoff" and "flight attendants 30 minutes until landing" and otherwise nothing - which I think is the minimum SOP on mainline at least. Unless we're late because of WX or MX or need a de-ice and then we get the details. Versus longer segments you usually get more communication (route, expected turbulence, weather, thanks for flying AC, etc.) but I think that is mostly at crew discretion. Someone else probably knows more definitively :-)
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Pilot radio silence is what I prefer...the fewer announcements from the pilots or the SD or anyone the better...especially when they need to be issued in 2 languages and can go on for some time with no real value to me as I can usually self-serve, or already know, what they are offering (weather at destination, time at destination, time in the air, time gate to gate...)...mostly useless and of course cuts off the IFE for the duration of the announcement.

If we could keep it to 'flight attendants take your seats for take-off' and 'flight attendants 30 mins to landing' that would be great IMHO.
Joeyjo and The Macker like this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:22 pm
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: AC SE100K / FB Platinum / BA Bronze / Marriott Ambassador (LT Plat) / Hilton Diamond / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by billdokes
Pilot radio silence is what I prefer...the fewer announcements from the pilots or the SD or anyone the better...especially when they need to be issued in 2 languages and can go on for some time with no real value to me as I can usually self-serve, or already know, what they are offering (weather at destination, time at destination, time in the air, time gate to gate...)...mostly useless and of course cuts off the IFE for the duration of the announcement.

If we could keep it to 'flight attendants take your seats for take-off' and 'flight attendants 30 mins to landing' that would be great IMHO.
I don't disagree - I prefer as few "redundant" announcements as possible - but at a bare minimum I'd like to hear something from the cockpit especially if there is a delay or if something out of the norm is expected (i.e. heavy turbulence enroute etc.)
billdokes likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:37 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Far Siren
I don't disagree - I prefer as few "redundant" announcements as possible - but at a bare minimum I'd like to hear something from the cockpit especially if there is a delay or if something out of the norm is expected (i.e. heavy turbulence enroute etc.)
Completely agree with you, if there is something to say, say it...but I find far more often we get all of the redundant announcements or the nothing announcements, or sometimes they announce a delay with a time of X, but then don't come back when X has passed, or well passed, if at all.

I the end, I'd rather they focus on flying the plane, I'll focus on being the PAX and if I have any real important q's I'll ask...I don't need to know the Pilot's name, or the First Officer's name, or that it would be really good for me to enroll in Aeroplan if I'm not already a member.
The Macker likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2024, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I find that pilots make announcements about "new things". Weather forecast for today, flying time for this flight, etc.

Whereas FAs make the exact same announcement every flight.

If there's one of the two I wish I could eliminate...
Old Feb 21, 2024, 7:42 pm

Programs: TK *G
If everyone onboard is SE, I am sure they will adjust the announcement accordingly...
The Macker and CanadianMike like this.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 3:18 am

Programs: AC SE
I believe ‘flight attendants 30 mins to landing' is required of AC pilots, but not Jazz for some reason.

I do like a friendly greeting from a pilot on a longer flight. But generally less rather than more is good.
Old Feb 22, 2024, 7:27 am

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
I imagine part of the problem is that the best time to make a departure PA is when everyone is onboard, but that is also the busiest time as everything is being finalized up front and final checks are being run...

As for Jazz and AC, they are completely separate airlines and would have their own operating procedures. My guess is Jazz found chimes work better than PAs (maybe because many of the airports it flys to have very short taxis so the idea is for the FAs to be ready ASAP), and many flights are so short that the 30 min PA is almost redundant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.