Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YYZ-HKG business class

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Food was mediocre. Can't really duck up congee.

It did give me congee farts though.
Congee farts? lol.

And yes, you ccan mess up congee...(teochew or cantonese)

Personally, I prefer to leave at night. Wake up there early, do some stuff, crash at five or six.... But then again, I can usually sleep til the next morning
Old May 28, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Food was mediocre. Can't really duck up congee.

It did give me congee farts though.
I don't remember if I had the congee.
Did it have thousand-year-old eggu in it? Congee isn't congee without that at least, IMHO.
Maybe that's what gave you the congeegu farts.

I didn't think service in CX Y to be all that bad, but I guess, as per an above poster, that the gap between AC and CX Y could be getting smaller.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
......... that the gap between AC and CX Y could be getting smaller.
Seats,service...?
Old May 28, 2018, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by acysb87
Seats,service...?
Service. But I'm a CX FOTSG.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by agjil
IME, CX J in recent years has surprisingly gone downhill while AC J in recent years has surprisingly improved.
I think CX is still better than AC, but the gap is smaller than before.
This is very true. It started when CX stopped doing frequent deep cleans.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Basic!, AAdvantage Platinum, Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by agjil
IME, CX J in recent years has surprisingly gone downhill while AC J in recent years has surprisingly improved.
I think CX is still better than AC, but the gap is smaller than before.
YES! - Regular CX flyer here and just last week tried an AC "Signature Class" transpacific flight.
Totally agree that gap between CX and AC is very minimal with 3 exceptions:
1. The seat on CX (although older) is way more conducive to comfort and sleeping to AC's new Pod. The addition of mattress pads on AC does not help. Sleeping on AC is painful, CX I can sleep 10 out of the 15 hours.
2. CX offers up to 2 daily flights to AC's 1. Totally matter of personal opinion of course, however I prefer the 1am departure, 6am arrival.
3. The CX Lounges at HKG (especially the Pier) way outrank even the Signature Suite by AC.

I find both the food horrible and service mediocre on both AC and CX.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by nwbusa
Don't understand these "use the search function" posts.

This is an internet forum. We all know about the search function. OP chose not to use it, you can choose to ignore his post and move on.
Obviously you don't understand what beating a dead horse means. Maybe you should start a thread to ask.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: *$ Green
Question.

When you arrive at 6am, how do you handle accommodations?

I've had a couple of situations where I'm at destination early but no rooms available until 1-2pm (regular check in time being 1600 at a couple places I've been).

I know all hotels hold luggage, but sometimes I don't want to come back to re check in.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Question.

I've had a couple of situations where I'm at destination early but no rooms available until 1-2pm (regular check in time being 1600 at a couple places I've been).

I know all hotels hold luggage, but sometimes I don't want to come back to re check in.
Amex will book me a room the night before for late arrival when my fights arrive early morning. In HKG I go straight to the conrad upon arrival, room is ready, shower and head straight to the office. You pay an extra night, but the room is held for you.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Question.

I've had no issue doing 8am check-in across the world, but I only ever tried it at properties where I hold top status.

And their change in attitude goes from "8am, are you kidding me?" to "here's your key" when they pull up my file.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: A3, AC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've had no issue doing 8am check-in across the world, but I only ever tried it at properties where I hold top status.

And their change in attitude goes from "8am, are you kidding me?" to "here's your key" when they pull up my file.
Curious, do you note when booking that you'll be doing an early morning check in? I'm guessing there's also been instances where they haven't been able to get you a room even with status?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cyralax
Curious, do you note when booking that you'll be doing an early morning check in? I'm guessing there's also been instances where they haven't been able to get you a room even with status?
If there's an option when booking, I select whatever reasonable time I can.

There's never been a situation where they couldn't, but there have been a couple where "Oh the previous occupants have checked out, let me get the room cleaned right now", and it's taken 30-45 minutes.

I certainly don't depend on it, but I will try every time. The one time it didn't work was in Tokyo when I had no status. But that was more about following the "check-in time is 4pm" rule. I'm not convinced status would have made a difference, unless "early check-in" was a published benefit.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by cyralax
Out of dozens of early checkins, I can think of maybe three when a room wasnt ready, and only at chain hotels. Non-chain hotels I've never had an issue, clearly without any status.
Most recently at Fairmont Maui - even as Platinum, they couldnt do anything for us at 7am, hotel was just full.
They did give us a "hospitality room" to use until something became available.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I’ve batted a pretty low success rate but most places were “they are no rooms available”. Albeit I got to one about 6am.

Certainly had a few say let me check and were fine despite it being 8am in one case. And I have no status at any hotels.

Only way to be sure is book an extra night. But I have never had an issue leaving my bag there until the room was free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.