Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bne cnx - ac to qf

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Bne cnx - ac to qf

Just modified a booking to connect through BNE to MEL off AC35.

However, it was interesting to be offered a flight on QF instead of VA. I know AC and QF have an interline agreement but any special considerations going to QF?

On AC.com, it showed I class for the QF flight, and on most screens showed business class.
However one screen showed economy class, but there were no warnings about a mixed cabin, or that I would be seated in economy class on the QF flight. I also checked that QF I class shows as business on their site, so I assume I will be okay?

is it possible to pre select my seat on QF? Any feedback on the QF lounge in BNE?

I see that on my return with a VA connection I have a locator already, so I presume I can select my seat.Sorry for all the questions, and appreciate any feedback from those in the know.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:33 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I can't comment on the QF questions (since I flew AC/VA) but a word of warning about BNE.

The last time I transited BNE, we were herded through a connections checkpoint that had a quick security scan. It was near one of the gates, I don't recall which one. What I do recall was that the line was huge and very, very slow moving. They have two metal detectors but only one was manned and as more flights came in, the line got longer and longer.

I eventually bailed and instead went out through the Arrivals area (complete with Immigration and Customs), back into the terminal, through the Departures area (complete with security and passport control) and then to the NZ lounge. The passport control people did not seem surprised and said that I did "the right thing". I beat the people who were in front of me in the Connections queue to the lounge by a good 25 minutes. They asked which way I had gone, and told me that the BNE airport staff eventually opened up the second metal detector but that it took some time to clear the backlog.

Maybe this was a one-off, but perhaps something to keep in mind if you see a slow moving queue in the connections area, especially if your connecting time is tight.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
AC has (I assume) a ticketing arrangement with QF since they handle a ton of O&D traffic for AC and yes, you can select your seat on QF's website.

The VA thing is new and does not seem as integrated as QF. Probably more due to a long history more than anything else (and that is anecdotal of course)

QF domestic lounges are very decent. Food selection is good, Barista coffee and you can make your own grilled cheese (toasty) if that is your thing.

BNE domestic is an old feeling airport but it is totally fine. Connections in Australia anywhere (other than MEL) do require a transfer from Int'l to Domestic regardless.

Both airlines run enough frequency that if you are late (neither QF or VA use a hub and spoke system), you will be covered easily and the concierges in BNE are excellent
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
If you have Priority Pass, the restaurant in the domestic terminal is much better than the Qantas Club.
lcohen999 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Thank you so much for the replies and feedback, as previously I haven't done a same day CNX via BNE...

I now have both my QF and VA locators, and both the security and lounge intel is very helpful. Sadly no Priority Pass, so I will check out the QF Domestic or Club lounge time permitting.

I really appreciate the great feedback!

PS, on my return, I am connecting via SYD...last time through was when the New Air NZ lounge was competed and it was great. Is that still a better choice than the SQ lounge in SYD, or is it a toss up?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I may not fully understand your flights

Incoming Canada-BNE-MEL
At BNE you will need to clear migration, customs & quarantine with all your carry-on & checked luggage. Then check-in for the Au domestic flight to MEL and go to the BNE domestic terminal. The terminals are some distance apart.
https://www.bne.com.au BNE airport
Do you have the QF booking reference? Look the “manage my booking” on the QF web site

On the return “connecting via SYD” is this to/from a domestic flight or an international?
Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 28, 2018 at 5:34 pm
Old Apr 29, 2018, 2:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
doing and international/domestic connection in Australian airports is crappy, unless you are using MEL. Hopefully you get a schedule change and you can fly directly to MEL. make sure you have lots of time for your BNE connection.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
MEL has its own issues, though. It is one terminal which is nice but MEL is in desperate need of some sort of update
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the feedback on connecting via Australian airports. if I could have, I would have gone direct YVR-MEL, which I took last year, but that isn稚 back up and running until June, and I知 travelling out the last weeks of May.

So that left YVR-BNE-MEL or YVR-SYD-MEL, with the latter being $5,000 CAD more. I also wanted to stick on AC to lock down my AQD for this year, as subsequent planned travel is on UA and ANA later this year.

I have enjoyed flying out of BNE, so I値l give it a shot for the connection, knowing (as others have indicated), that there are hourly QF flights over to MEL if my inbound is late (I also have long legs and can run fast if needed!)

On my return I will be connecting into Sydney from an Australia domestic flight so I know I have to swap terminals here too. I gather I値l stick with the Air NZ Lounge for the stop, time permitting, as I recall the chef was available for eggs/breakfast to order.

Thanks again for the links and feedback.

Between this info, and the deflating pod reset, I hopefully will be set! 😂
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by doubleflier
Thanks again for the feedback on connecting via Australian airports. if I could have, I would have gone direct YVR-MEL, which I took last year, but that isn稚 back up and running until June, and I知 travelling out the last weeks of May.

So that left YVR-BNE-MEL or YVR-SYD-MEL, with the latter being $5,000 CAD more. I also wanted to stick on AC to lock down my AQD for this year, as subsequent planned travel is on UA and ANA later this year.

I have enjoyed flying out of BNE, so I値l give it a shot for the connection, knowing (as others have indicated), that there are hourly QF flights over to MEL if my inbound is late (I also have long legs and can run fast if needed!)

On my return I will be connecting into Sydney from an Australia domestic flight so I know I have to swap terminals here too. I gather I値l stick with the Air NZ Lounge for the stop, time permitting, as I recall the chef was available for eggs/breakfast to order.

Thanks again for the links and feedback.

Between this info, and the deflating pod reset, I hopefully will be set! 😂
the only good part about suffering AC to BNE will be the money you will get for the faulty seat. I got $500 for mine from SFO-YYZ, you should get $1000 on your flight. Move your address to USA so you dont need AQD, and can fly better connections to Australia next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.