Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Beginning of a New Aeroplan; Aimia CEO steps down

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Beginning of a New Aeroplan; Aimia CEO steps down

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:01 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Interesting, I didn't get this e-mail. Or haven't gotten it yet. Exactly what I had predicted though.

Originally Posted by karachi
I got an AC survey a couple of days ago which asked about what we're looking for in FF programs, and various redemption options , including using points for seat selection, wifi, preferred seating, upgrades, airport parking, airport transportation etc.
There's a thread dedicated to that survey.

Originally Posted by YOWCDNFF
Also a thread dedicated to that.

Originally Posted by yvr76
Between Avion, Aventura, Airmiles, Aeroplan etc. how much appetite is there in the market for this?
We're going to find out. But Aeroplan has a large base of customers and it sounds like the new program will likely appear more attractive to the FOTSG crowd, even if it might be worse for them (and will definitely be worse for the FT crowd).
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I think many of us would mutually agree as well.
Are you saying it's his fault that AC ditched Aeroplan?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I love marketing bunk

"commitment to help you" ... for a call centre fee, of course
worldtraveller73 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:13 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Are you saying it's his fault that AC ditched Aeroplan?
At least one of their (admittedly most vocal) institutional investors seems to think so.

I have no particular insight into the nature of his involvement, but it's tough to believe that the failure to re-up the ACA agreement didn't have a massive impact on their tumbling share price. And for that end result, the CEO has to be held accountable at some level.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I always wondered about this relationship

call centre fees
the no more 21 day cancellation
other nonsense

how much is it ACs pushing and how much is it AEs.

Could AC be tired of it, or could AC have wanted more

Would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall of those negotiations
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
They didn't fight for their customers during the Swiss First Class saga and they continue to block Lufthansa First Class advance award availability.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
So when is the death of Aeroplan to redeem for J flights? June 2020? For flights valid until when? May 2021?
What happens to changes (vol and invol) booked for flights past June 2020, when Aeroplan no longer can access X/I inventory in Star Alliance. Who will be re-issuing these tickets? AC stock?
I sent them a private message through Facebook not long ago asking about the same thing and the answer was that we would know what's what in 2019.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
They didn't fight for their customers during the Swiss First Class saga and they continue to block Lufthansa First Class advance award availability.
No but they spent a huge amount of time dealing with free changes and call-ins. There's a clear business reason to take steps to stop it happening again.

At my work place we employ a fairly significant and complex system to stop certain bad things happening. Things that are also done by suppliers, why do we do it? Safety.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
This is pretty simple - if they still allow business and first redemption at reasonable rates, with optional airlines with low taxes, they will survive.
imverge likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:01 pm

Last AP supervisor I spoke to said they will be acting as a travel agent issuing tickets with their own IATA number.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by jc94
No but they spent a huge amount of time dealing with free changes and call-ins. There's a clear business reason to take steps to stop it happening again.

At my work place we employ a fairly significant and complex system to stop certain bad things happening. Things that are also done by suppliers, why do we do it? Safety.
So they should allow those LH F bookings to be made by phone ?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
So they should allow those LH F bookings to be made by phone ?
Probably yeah. It’s strange to block LH and phone booking given the number of $ associated with each.

Perhaps this is just incompetence or IT doing something so terrible it’s taken things way too far then. Easily possible. Maybe they’ll hire a better CEO, but I doubt it.

Note: I’m half drunk and in a particularly depressed mood today.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
At least one of their (admittedly most vocal) institutional investors seems to think so.

I have no particular insight into the nature of his involvement, but it's tough to believe that the failure to re-up the ACA agreement didn't have a massive impact on their tumbling share price. And for that end result, the CEO has to be held accountable at some level.
There's no doubt that losing the AC partnership has been the major catalyst for the share price decline.

But AC's statements about the massive amount of value they expect to create by running their own FFP suggest there's little to nothing that Aimia could have done to make it worthwhile for AC to stick around.

One could then argue that Aimia should have better anticipated that and coped better once it was announced, but the share price would have taken a hit post the divorce announcement no matter what.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
i doubt AC Altitude program will be as good as what Aeroplan had, and the credit card companies will not be offering huge $ for the new altitude program, its just going to be a messy divorce. Oh well Air Canada made its bed now it can sleep in the mess.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:47 am

This promo from Aeroplan makes one interesting claim: "you’ll be able to choose any available seat from more airlines to more destinations than today." That means being able to chose from more than 28 airlines to more than 1330 airports, more than current Star Alliance possibilities.

Are they really going to sign deals with more than 28 airlines? Or will it become a points price for them to buy you a ticket like current RBC Rewards points or TD or Amex? The value in the latter seems limited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.