Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hang Onto Your PED's

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC Safety Announcements & mobile devices getting stuck in seats

On another airline I flew, the purser or FA making the voice announcements also included mention of things like not putting your phone, tablet etc in the setback pocket etc.

Given the often ugh things other people leave in there, I assumed it was for that reason. I asked crew once and they said it's because so many people forget and leave them behind and yes, the ugh factor.

More recently, I've been on a number of AC flights where phones and power packs have disappeared down the sides of the J pod. On one recent AC 3, a guy sitting a couple of seats behind me had his phone on the side-table and during take-off, it fell into the side of the seat. Eventually, crew had to help try and dig it out.

On another AC 3, after take-off, I saw a power pack on the floor in the pod across the aisle. That seat was empty so I asked the guy in front if it was his. He said no, so I gave it to the SD and told her I think it was from a previous flight.

On another airline recently, I heard an announcement saying that if your phone etc falls into the seat, do not open the seat as it can crush the phone. Just alert the crew.

I read this report about a battery pack that got wedged in a seat and caught fire on a LH 388 flying near YUL. The crew used multiple extinguishers to put out the fire.

Quote:

"On Aug 8th 2017 the airline confirmed the occurrence reporting an external power bank used to charge smartphones, tablets etc. caught fire after it got trapped in a business class seat. The airline routine warns passengers to avoid getting their personal devices and batteries be trapped in seats. "

There is also a comment from the TSB in this link

http://avherald.com/h?article=4acacb9f&opt=0

While I understand that most people want their phones nearby, I wonder if there should be some sort of additional mention of keeping them secure during take-offs and landings, and/or what to do in case of phone getting stuck in the seats.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've definitely heard announcements on flights (though I don't recall the airline).

Basically, if it falls in the seat, do NOT adjust the recline. Call the crew. They will safely extract the phone.

If you recline your seat and it crushes the battery, it can cause a fire hazard.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 4:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

So we've both heard some type of announcement on other airlines.

As per my hint in my OP, I'm wondering if AC has considered making a similar announcement. It would certainly be helpful rather than watch cabin crew try to retrieve a phone stuck in a seat.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
BA makes those announcements on all widebody flights. Presume as suggested above it's to stop a lithium battery getting crushed and going on fire.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I've heard these announcements on a few airlines, and I think I even heard one on AC. It makes sense. I believe crews carry a tool kid for the seats now.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:57 pm

I think we will start seeing it in more safety demonstrations in videos going forward. I flew LATAM not too long ago and they recently redid their safety video and they talked about not trying to retrieve your phone if it falls into a seat, but to alert a crew member.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: AC75 MM
Several years ago I crushed my notebook PC when I reclined my old-style pod, and fell asleep on a trans-Atlantic red-eye. only realizing when I woke a few hours later. Screen was toast, but this could have been much worse! It had slid down the side of the small shelf next to the power outlet adjacent to the seat and I didn't notice.

I'm much relieved these days to hear these PSA.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

This is the new SQ safety video.

It is so Singapore in terms of visual images and creative approach.

At approximately the 4:20 minute mark, there is a segment with instructions regarding phones, tablets and what if your device falls between the seats.

Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:02 am

This is one of the first things that's mentioned in KLM's safety video. Right after how to properly store your carry on.

Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
its also breaking the seats on planes that is also why the airlines are warning us, its costing them money.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
I was trying to remember where I had heard that this year (I've only flown AC, UA, LH and QF) and sure enough it was Qantas:

Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Hang Onto Your PED's

Following a TC Directive and a series of occurrences on other Airlines (most notably QF/AF/LH), effective immediately, having a mobile phone/PED fall beneath a passenger seat, will result in the seat power being cut to a Suite/Pod, rendering it unusable for the duration of the flight. Every effort will be made by the Crew to retrieve the device, or alternatively by Maintenance Staff at the point of arrival. During flight, a seat relocation will be arranged if possible.
Hang onto your Phones!

Word from the Wise...
Avoid putting any personal property on top of the credenzas at seats 1A/1K to prevent falling into the sidewall gaps.

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Apr 1, 2018 at 4:50 am
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What if it's only the SIM card?

(Yes, happened to me while switching.)
canadiancow and islandcub1 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
If people are thinking (and not worried about safety), once word hits the streets, people won't report their missing devices until after landing.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Duplicate

Last edited by ACYYZ/SD; Apr 1, 2018 at 9:47 am Reason: dupe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.