Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hang Onto Your PED's

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
If people are thinking (and not worried about safety), once word hits the streets, people won't report their missing devices until after landing.
Uhm - averaging at least one per month on board, the freak-out factor is pretty evident. Tell the street people that a heads up to maintenance with a meet upon arrival usually has them on their way in 15 minutes or less. Dispatching personnel to the aircraft post-arrival might be much more time consuming.
jaysona likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Breaking the lithium battery and causing a fire would definitely be more time consuming
wrp96 and jaysona like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Happened it to me with an Apple pencil. SD could not get it out. Maintenance boarded on arrival and had me on my way while the last J customers were still disembarking. Those suites are device-eating monsters.
wrp96 and Fiordland like this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Following a TC Directive and a series of occurrences on other Airlines (most notably QF/AF/LH), effective immediately, having a mobile phone/PED fall beneath a passenger seat, will result in the seat power being cut to a Suite/Pod, rendering it unusable for the duration of the flight. Every effort will be made by the Crew to retrieve the device, or alternatively by Maintenance Staff at the point of arrival. During flight, a seat relocation will be arranged if possible.
Hang onto your Phones!

Word from the Wise...
Avoid putting any personal property on top of the credenzas at seats 1A/1K to prevent falling into the sidewall gaps.
Perhaps some strategically placed duct tape on the 1A/1K seats to stop the devices from falling in in order. It might be unsightly however after the temporary mod is randomly made by passengers and in flight crew enough times, the relevant authorities (aka the engineers with AC responsible for suite design) will get the message and find a more permanent solution.
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
I have seen devices slip into the gaps a few times with crew on hands and knees trying to retrieve. Probably not a easy fix so ACYYZ/SD words of caution are well advised.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan
If Russian athletes drop their PED's between the seats on their way to competition, then they can claim that they were dropped by some other passenger... oh THAT kind of PED.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Fiordland
Perhaps some strategically placed duct tape on the 1A/1K seats to stop the devices from falling in in order. It might be unsightly however after the temporary mod is randomly made by passengers and in flight crew enough times, the relevant authorities (aka the engineers with AC responsible for suite design) will get the message and find a more permanent solution.
The engineers that work for AC have about as much input in the design of cabin interiors as you do for the design of the interior of the car you purchase/lease.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by jaysona

The engineers that work for AC have about as much input in the design of cabin interiors as you do for the design of the interior of the car you purchase/lease.
They are the ones who can probably start what ever process is needed to do a modification to the design. Someone in that organisation must be responsible for stick handling design defects with their supply chain.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:26 pm

They are the ones who can probably start what ever process is needed to do a modification to the design. Someone in that organisation must be responsible for stick handling design defects with their supply chain.
The OEM presents AC with a catalog and asks to AC pick something. That's about the level of involvement AC has until the product enters services. Once in service, any major snags or minor recurring snags will be identified by AC to the manufacturer, and a fix (if any) may be implemented depending on the type of fix and associated costs.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:10 pm

The OEM presents AC with a catalog and asks to AC pick something. That's about the level of involvement AC has until the product enters services. Once in service, any major snags or minor recurring snags will be identified by AC to the manufacturer, and a fix (if any) may be implemented depending on the type of fix and associated costs.
These birds are in service. So if its is not their engineering team, who in AC is responsible for stick handling a request to fix a problem with seats.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 4:59 pm

These birds are in service. So if its is not their engineering team, who in AC is responsible for stick handling a request to fix a problem with seats.
I have no idea what "stick handling" refers to, that is not a term used in the aviation industry.

As for requests to fix a problem, as I stated earlier, snags are noted, any fixes/improvements requests are sent to the manufacturer (Rockwell Collins in the case of the 787 cabin) and any proposed change are sent to AC for approval. Once approved, the changes are implemented either by AC maintenance personnel if the changes are minor, otherwise the changes are likely to be implemented by an MRO such as ST Aerospace, HAECO or some similar MRO.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:31 pm

I have no idea what "stick handling" refers to, that is not a term used in the aviation industry.

As for requests to fix a problem, as I stated earlier, snags are noted, any fixes/improvements requests are sent to the manufacturer (Rockwell Collins in the case of the 787 cabin) and any proposed change are sent to AC for approval. Once approved, the changes are implemented either by AC maintenance personnel if the changes are minor, otherwise the changes are likely to be implemented by an MRO such as ST Aerospace, HAECO or some similar MRO.
Perhaps I am the only one who uses that phrase. I expected it to be fairly common, but perhaps not. I would define it as the person who takes responsibility for taking a project or activity and running in through the process to conclusion.

Perhaps AC works differently than other organisations I have worked with. I would expect someone in AC is told. "We have this problem, and it is on your to-do list is deal with it. Talk to our supply chain, Can it be fixed? How much will it cost? Who has to be involved in the decision both internally, at the OEM and regulator. After you find all of that out if it still looks like we want to deal with it. Then get it done, write up the PO, write up the Change Orders, Work Orders etc."

If the internal process in Air Canada, is problems just get tossed to the manufacture and then it is up to the supply chain to follow up or not, that does explain a lot. My experience in other industries is if you are proactive in managing your suppliers they focus on your problems, if your not, then they focus on your competitors problem.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:08 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by smallmj
If Russian athletes drop their PED's between the seats on their way to competition, then they can claim that they were dropped by some other passenger... oh THAT kind of PED.

When I saw this thread title, my thought was to post something like "I always stow my PEDs securely in luggage with someone else's name on it in case WADA comes looking" but you bested me
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I, too, would expect a functional, quality-driven organization to take action to correct this sort of issue with a single, effective design modification rather than applying a fix that must be repeated flawlessly by each passenger on each separate occasion, but as long as there is deniability in the form of blaming slippery fingers, I don't see action being taken.
They cannot manage to fix the deflating pods, and those are things that passengers cannot compensate for, and those looked like money, ranging from AE miles to $, even before someone suggested that the deflating mattress might be indicative of similarly nonfunctional airbag.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:59 am

If your phone falls between the seats, please dont try to to retrieve it yourself

I'm sure many of you have noticed this recent addition to the regular pre-flight announcements. I'm assuming there was a specific event/lawsuit that prompted this... anyone have any details?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.