Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC changes to North American fares: introduces Comfort, renames Tango to Standard

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC changes to North American fares: introduces Comfort, renames Tango to Standard

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Livyer
For those who prefer pictures:

When you need 35 pictograms to explain your array of economy fares, you probably shouldn't describe "finding the perfect fare" as "easy."
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC*SEMM, *G, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Flex vs Flex Comfort.

Any idea how this will impact eUpgrades?
ie) Still a copay fee with Flex I imagine... will there be one with Comfort?

And any copay fees with domestic eUpgrades?
Does not appear to be any changes at this time with Flex. As for Comfort, copay does not seem to be required on any of the fare options but number of eupgrades is aligned with Flex. The one immediate change this will have though is on upgrade priority when the upgrade clears at the gate - everything else being the same (eg: status), comfort would be ahead of Flex.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AC 35k
Anyone know if this takes away standby in the eastern (YYZ/YUL/YOW) or western (YVR/YYC/YEG) triangles on other fare classes?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Anyone know if this takes away standby in the eastern (YYZ/YUL/YOW) or western (YVR/YYC/YEG) triangles on other fare classes?
From the fare option page on AC.com is still lists free standby for these routes for Standard and Flex fares.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...in-canada.html
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by ffsim
When you need 35 pictograms to explain your array of economy fares, you probably shouldn't describe "finding the perfect fare" as "easy."
+100

The combination of the ever increasing number of Fare Options, the introduction of Branded Fares with overlapping Booking Classes, and AC's lack of transparency in disclosing this information when booking on AC.com is extremely frustrating. To know the Booking Class, you have to 1) get to the pen-ultimate payment screen, 2) click on the Fare Option label (e.g., 'Economy Flex'), and then 3) click on 'See complete fare rules'. And if you're trying to do this through a third-party site or travel management platform...good luck!

Airlines like UA and DL (and I presume many others) at least make it very clear how many status-qualifying miles / segments / dollars one can expect to earn when booking on their sites. Why can't AC do the same? Is this the result of incompetence or cynical intent?

Referring to the AP earning chart is also meaningless now. When you need full paragraph-length footnotes and still can't convey all the information required for a consumer to make an informed decision, you know you have failed!

traacs and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by capedreamer; Apr 4, 2018 at 7:01 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vernonc
$230 more for Flex to Comfort. Does not seem like good value. Unless you really value the same day change ($75 cost), free drink and 115% AQM, it may be cheaper to buy flex and pay for a preferred seat. What is the point of being able to change upto 61 days out ? Most changes would be required closer to the date.
You don't get free SDC. You get free standby.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Likely not -- the main reason why AC offers free standby in these markets is because the competition does too, and the competition isn't changing.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
You don't get free SDC. You get free standby.
So even worse ?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Enhancements.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
And shockingly, IT fail.

This on an international booking where seat selection was and still is free

And looks like the actual fare class has been enhanced away from 'managebooking' unless one does like ten clicks into the fare rules.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K , 1MM, Hilton Diamond, KLM
Deleted
Upgrade requirements

Last edited by traacs; Apr 4, 2018 at 5:32 pm Reason: incorrect info
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by rankourabu
And looks like the actual fare class has been enhanced away from 'managebooking' unless one does like ten clicks into the fare rules.
Yes. Extremely frustrating. As expressed here, I can't tell if this is an issue of general thoughtlessness, IT incompetence, or intentional malice directed from the top:

Originally Posted by capedreamer
+100

The combination of the ever increasing number of Fare Options, the introduction of Branded Fares with overlapping Booking Classes, and AC's lack of transparency in disclosing this information when booking on AC.com is extremely frustrating. To know the Booking Class, you have to 1) get to the pen-ultimate payment screen, 2) click on the Fare Option label (e.g., 'Economy Flex'), and then 3) click on 'See complete fare rules'. And if you're trying to do this through a third-party site or travel management platform...good luck!

Airlines like UA and DL (and I presume many others) at least make it very clear how many status-qualifying miles / segments / dollars one can expect to earn when booking on their sites. Why can't AC do the same? Is this the result of incompetence or cynical intent?

Referring to the AP earning chart is also meaningless now. When you need full paragraph-length footnotes and still can't convey all the information required for a consumer to make an informed decision, you know you have failed!

Last edited by capedreamer; Apr 4, 2018 at 7:01 pm
Old Apr 4, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I only counted eight.

But yes, point is well taken, this is way too complicated. Not that I care; and most folks here probably won't either. Nor will the lowest fare crowd. But people looking for something like flex, who care about miles and upgrades, will get in trouble.

I wonder how long this will last. I suspect they must have some trouble with branded fares and this is the half-baked solution.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: American Express Membership Rewards, Marriott Rewards Platinum
I wonder what fare class awards will book into. Typically Aeroplan bookings have been treated as flex fares, which would now include checked baggage.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emoose1
I wonder what fare class awards will book into. Typically Aeroplan bookings have been treated as flex fares, which would now include checked baggage.
They look like a class on their own. No need to introduce yet another layer of complexity for no purpose: awards don't need getting sold.

Motto: why make things simple if you can make them complicated?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.