Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The NO THANKS CONCIERGE thread: Documenting the failure and deviation of the service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The NO THANKS CONCIERGE thread: Documenting the failure and deviation of the service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2022, 3:17 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Concierge service is not what it used to be. I hope they fix it, because it's almost not worth being SE without useful and timely concierge service.
​​​​
But there's still Zone 1 boarding.

Oh, wait....
yowcat, canopus27, YYC3722 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 6:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
In the the end I got a response, 14hrs after my first email. It was from a favourite concierge. This time however he did not do what I asked, he just said "for urgent matters call 1-833-xxx-xxxx."

It would have been nice if he did what I asked in the email, instead I called, waited on hold for 35 minutes, and then asked them to read my email.

Concierge service is not what it used to be. I hope they fix it, because it's almost not worth being SE without useful and timely concierge service.
​​​​
Something something…unprecedented demand…something something…staffing challenges…something something post pandemic recovery….something something….insert cliché buzzword excuse here.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:14 am

Emailed the concierge about the new baggage policy I outlined in the interline baggage agreement thread. Asked if it was going to be an issue for me coming back where my travel is all on the same PNR but starting with the interline airline.

Also asked if they could facilitate a SDC for me on my connecting flight to an earlier flight as there was still J space open.

Received an email back with a form response about number of bags allowed when traveling with star alliance airlines and also said I couldn’t standby with checked baggage. Neither of which things I asked about?

There seems to be an awful degraded service lately. Is it so much to ask that the agent read the email and comprehend it before responding? Had to write an email back basically saying you didn’t answer any of my questions please re-read my email (in a more professional tone of course)
Old Oct 12, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Flew LH/AC TUN-FRA-YYZ recently on a paid J fare.

Arrived into FRA at a far Z gate with 80 mins for my connection and arrived at the MLL at 408 pm wanting to use the facilities quickly before heading to the gate for the 5 pm departure.

Upon entering the FRA MLL, the lounge agent commented 'you are no longer on this flight Mr PW, they have off-loaded you for some reason'. I waited while she tried calling the concierge, to no avail, then a call to the gate and after many words back and forth, including the comment "Mr PW is standing in front of me. Yes, in. front. of. me" The lounge agent just shook her head. Luckily the gate was right below the MLL, so I popped down into the crowd only to be stopped by two gatekeepers telling me that I had to get to back of the boarding lines. No concierge to be found anywhere. I finally squeezed thru a side entrance to approach a gate agent, who happened to be the one that spoke with the lounge agent a few minutes earlier. No apology nor comment regarding what/why/how this happened or could have been prevented.

During the flight I double-checked both Air Canada and Star Alliance services that should have prevented this from happening, but apparently its just marketing fluff:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ervices.html#/

https://www.staralliance.com/en/connection-service

To complete the AC Signature experience, no bag up arrival.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PointWeasel

During the flight I double-checked both Air Canada and Star Alliance services that should have prevented this from happening, but apparently its just marketing fluff:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ervices.html#/
Do you mean to say you e-mailed concierges during the flight?

Would by any chance 80 minutes now be less than the MCT, and was the flight full? (It seems the system does very odd things these days. I should tell our recent experience, possibly in the other concierge thread.)
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Stranger
Do you mean to say you e-mailed concierges during the flight?

Would by any chance 80 minutes now be less than the MCT, and was the flight full? (It seems the system does very odd things these days. I should tell our recent experience, possibly in the other concierge thread.)
Just 75K here, so concierge only on the day of departure at the airport. Concierge was MIA.

FRA MCT is 45 mins for Intl - Intl so no issue there:

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .45 .45 .45 .45
OFFLINE .45 .45 .45 .45

The website links in my previous post refer to the services that should have been available, but without the proactive lounge agent I would have lost my pod and overnighted.

Have not written in yet, but plan to.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:28 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
FRA MCT is 45 mins for Intl - Intl so no issue there:

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .45 .45 .45 .45
OFFLINE .45 .45 .45 .45
You need to scroll down through the list of exceptions. LH-AC I/I is actually 60 minutes: LH-AC II 1.00

Doesn't change the situation with your case though, your connection was definitely still legal. Bizarre that your seat was given away and disappointing the concierge didn't do anything about it.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You need to scroll down through the list of exceptions. LH-AC I/I is actually 60 minutes: LH-AC II 1.00

Doesn't change the situation with your case though, your connection was definitely still legal. Bizarre that your seat was given away and disappointing the concierge didn't do anything about it.
It really seems the system does strange things these days. My horror story does not really belong in the "no thankas concierge though." More in the "thanks concierge for fighting the system. And again. And again." Will take me a while to write it though.
pewpew likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
There were at least 4 SEs connecting from 223 in J to 572 in J tonight.

One of them contacted the concierge. A concierge showed up for that one SE, completely oblivious to the others.

If the squeaky wheel gets the grease, watch how squeaky I get.
D582, Bohemian1, YYC3722 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow

One of them contacted the concierge. A concierge showed up for that one SE, completely oblivious to the others.

How does a concierge not take 2 seconds to look at the manifest and be like “oh look I can help all these 4 people at once”.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 12:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheViperOne
How does a concierge not take 2 seconds to look at the manifest and be like “oh look I can help all these 4 people at once”.
I agree. She brought a cart that could accommodate three people.

And I say at least four because my group of three did not contact the concierge, but we talked to the person who did.

The SD said we had 14 people on the connection, but I didn't press for status or cabin. Because I had a tight connection to make.

​​​​​​
D582 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2022, 1:12 am

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by TheViperOne
How does a concierge not monitor potential misconnections for all their SE pax for the last flight of the night and proactively offer assistance to begin with?
Old Nov 7, 2022, 9:38 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow

Wow! I overheard that conversation too.

By the time I was off the plane (to let others with tight connections deplane) you guys were gone, so I figured it was all goodness.

Really crappy job by the concierge.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Was transiting from United to AC 794 LAX to YYZ Sunday night. Sunday morning I received an email that my United flight would be delayed leaving me with a 35 or so minute connection. Emailed the concierge and asked if they could alert the LAX concierge to monitor the situation and if warranted to assist me in making the connection. No reply (that day). I was going to phone, but I got an update from United that they had made up time such that I would have 50 minutes to connect so I let it be. Finallly got an email late Monday afternoon, the text of which was:
"We trust that this email finds you well. We apologize for the delay in responding to your request as we are receiving higher than normal call and email volumes. We appreciate your patience​ and understanding in this regard.

We are sorry to see that we missed the opportunity to assist you with your travel needs. We look forward to assisting you and regaining your trust with your future travel requests. Thank you for your continued loyalty and support of Air Canada."

One of the main reasons I strive to attain SE status is the concierge benefit. Not so much anymore I guess!
Old Nov 15, 2022, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by allbrosca
Was transiting from United to AC 794 LAX to YYZ Sunday night. Sunday morning I received an email that my United flight would be delayed leaving me with a 35 or so minute connection. Emailed the concierge and asked if they could alert the LAX concierge to monitor the situation and if warranted to assist me in making the connection. No reply (that day). I was going to phone, but I got an update from United that they had made up time such that I would have 50 minutes to connect so I let it be. Finallly got an email late Monday afternoon, the text of which was:
"We trust that this email finds you well. We apologize for the delay in responding to your request as we are receiving higher than normal call and email volumes. We appreciate your patience​ and understanding in this regard.

We are sorry to see that we missed the opportunity to assist you with your travel needs. We look forward to assisting you and regaining your trust with your future travel requests. Thank you for your continued loyalty and support of Air Canada."

One of the main reasons I strive to attain SE status is the concierge benefit. Not so much anymore I guess!
Staffing is obviously a huge issue right now. The turnaround time for emails to that concierge box I’ve found is about 48hrs. Anything I need less than that I usually email the airport concierge directly and it’s usually a pretty fast reply. Within an hour or two. If you’ve ever been emailed by a concierge team just look at the address and change the airport code for the one you’re trying to get ahold of they all have the same format.

You can also call but I’m pretty sure they just email the local concierge team your request on your behalf.
TheCanuckian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.