Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more AeroPlan Miles with ESSO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I will keep filling up at Esso since they are switching to PC optimum.

The odd time I will fill up at Costco first thing on a Saturday morning when the Mrs' SUV tank is nearly empty, but otherwise I refuse to wait 10-15 minutes to save $5 on gas.

I honestly haven't noticed any major performance differences between Esso/Petro Can/Shell/ Superstore/Costco. I've been driving the same old car that requires 91 octane for almost 16 years now. (Toyota/Yamaha 2ZZ-GE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine#2ZZ-GE)
The biggest loss will be the use of Esso to keep my wife's Aeroplan active. Certainly didn't meaningfully add to any points balance for me.

As for gas - there is little difference (sometimes none, when all the brands use the same local refinery) in the underlying refined product. It is the additive package that varies (sometimes) including ethanol fraction. Beyond that good luck finding an informed source other than scholarly articles - more myth out on the internet about octane and brand variables than anything.
gcashin and Diabeetus like this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I will keep filling up at Esso since they are switching to PC optimum.

The odd time I will fill up at Costco first thing on a Saturday morning when the Mrs' SUV tank is nearly empty, but otherwise I refuse to wait 10-15 minutes to save $5 on gas.

I honestly haven't noticed any major performance differences between Esso/Petro Can/Shell/ Superstore/Costco. I've been driving the same old car that requires 91 octane for almost 16 years now. (Toyota/Yamaha 2ZZ-GE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_ZZ_engine#2ZZ-GE)
Yeah, for filling a 50l tank the biggest difference is going to be about $4. And at 15-20 minutes; well what's the minimum wage right? Not to mention having to either idle for that long or turn the engine on and off. I personally always use and have used the cheapest gas - for my own cars anyway.

Originally Posted by robsaw
The biggest loss will be the use of Esso to keep my wife's Aeroplan active. Certainly didn't meaningfully add to any points balance for me.

As for gas - there is little difference (sometimes none, when all the brands use the same local refinery) in the underlying refined product. It is the additive package that varies (sometimes) including ethanol fraction. Beyond that good luck finding an informed source other than scholarly articles - more myth out on the internet about octane and brand variables than anything.
You could try the amazon.ca or Carrot options to keep it active? Both may require a Canadian address although I know Carrot still tracks and earns points in at least the UK, US and India - but then the AP card is registered in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.