FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Olympian not happy with economy seating (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1895810-olympian-not-happy-economy-seating.html)

mapleg Feb 26, 2018 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by SKYEG (Post 29461784)
He's a young kid, people will cut him some slack and all will be forgotten soon.

​​​​​​

Huh? What were we talking about?

YVRStarFlyer Feb 26, 2018 2:09 pm

Yes...it is now forgotten......after he took down his tweet after getting bashed on for about 5000 replies.....

jc94 Feb 26, 2018 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by NordsFan (Post 29461842)
He's going to be 26 in September and began on the worldwide snowboard circuit when he was 13, including the 2014 and 2018 Winter Olympics, so I don't agree that the "young kid" label applies. Some people might cut him some slack generally, but he was getting no love at all on Twitter after his initial tweet came out. And, yes, all will soon be forgotten.

Some of us consider 26 to be young ;)

Its hard to tell if he’s actually E75 or if that’s something they “give” to all the athletes. But regardless we’ve seen examples here where even SE don’t realize they can upgrade flights.

Or in his case, choose a preferred seat for free. Unless in Tango Tango, not Flex Tango. Or whatever they are called. It’s like AC want to make it difficult for us to understand and use our privileges.

yeunganson Feb 26, 2018 3:11 pm

I am in the minority in this. Air Canada knowing lots of people coming back from Seoul including winning athletes, could have sent in extra jets to Korea. Aren't they Canadian Olympic Sponsors? Air Canada could have gotten some of that Olympic Glory by sending a handful of Air Canada private jets to those Olympic winners and their families that flies straight to their hometown with a hero's welcome (and clear it with Canadian Border Security without the need to depart). Air Canada could have added a few extra 787s to shuttle everyone by having foresight years ahead. See it as just cost of business or advertisement expense.

DoTheBartMan Feb 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by yeunganson (Post 29462129)
I am in the minority in this. Air Canada knowing lots of people coming back from Seoul including winning athletes, could have sent in extra jets to Korea. Aren't they Canadian Olympic Sponsors? Air Canada could have gotten some of that Olympic Glory by sending a handful of Air Canada private jets to those Olympic winners and their families that flies straight to their hometown with a hero's welcome (and clear it with Canadian Border Security without the need to depart). Air Canada could have added a few extra 787s to shuttle everyone by having foresight years ahead. See it as just cost of business or advertisement expense.

You forgot the [sarcasm] tag...

rankourabu Feb 26, 2018 3:40 pm

And here is how a classy airline (with full loads) handled it, and managed to get good press, and shove it in the face of the USOC's official sponsor (ie. their competition)
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ampagne-toast/

Ber2dca Feb 26, 2018 3:46 pm

Nobody likes a TPAC in Y. The problem is social media really and people not being aware of how it's a double-edged sword. In a way Twitter lets everyone be their own tabloid editor..you can try to whip up public sentiment in your favor but then you always risk the backlash...

MT_Switch Feb 26, 2018 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by yeunganson (Post 29462129)

If every other country's airline with potential gold winners decided to send extra jets, you going to need a lot more (non-existent) terminals and parking space. That's not even taking into account the logistics, scheduling, resources, and cost.

RangerNS Feb 26, 2018 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by MT_Switch (Post 29462288)
If every other country's airline with potential gold winners decided to send extra jets, you going to need a lot more (non-existent) terminals and parking space. That's not even taking into account the logistics, scheduling, resources, and cost.

Only so many people want to leave Korea. Its not like they are evacuating from Pusan.

yeunganson Feb 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by MT_Switch (Post 29462288)

It sure does take a toll on the airlines. There are also 2 airports in Seoul along with multiple airports in South Korea. Not every country's airlines sponsor the Olympics and definitely not every airlines can organize so efficiently on the logistic and allocation of resources. That's why if Air Canada could pull something like that, it would separate them from normal airlines tier to amazing airlines tier.

As I said, Olympic is a showcase. All the countries airlines are in Seoul bring their Olympic hero home and it's a show-off on how well you organize your resources. I wished air Canada was able to pull some inspiring gold-metal performance and not just their normal mediocre self.

mikeyyz Feb 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Anyone save his original tweet? Curious what he said...

YYC traveler Feb 26, 2018 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by mikeyyz (Post 29462687)
Anyone save his original tweet? Curious what he said...

Check out Un tweet de Sébastien Toutant sur son vol de retour des Jeux olympiques passe mal (in french). The video captured his tweet and the article captured a number of the replies.

capedreamer Feb 26, 2018 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu (Post 29462231)
And here is how a classy airline (with full loads) handled it, and managed to get good press, and shove it in the face of the USOC's official sponsor (ie. their competition)
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ampagne-toast/

To be fair, my perception of the two original tweets were quite different.

Toutant's seemed like a genuine complaint, full of self-righteousness and entitlement. The US Curling Team's tweet appeared like a good-natured, tongue-in-cheek, half-serious "can't hurt to ask" opportunity for increased social media exposure for the team. This probably explains why the public reaction to each was so different (and why Toutant has deleted his original tweet).

So while I agree AC could have handled it better, I'm not sure Toutant would have been as gracious as the US Curling Team even if AC employed DL's exact playbook.

Jumper Jack Feb 26, 2018 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by capedreamer (Post 29462744)
To be fair, my perception of the two original tweets were quite different.

Toutant's seemed like a genuine complaint, full of self-righteousness and entitlement. The US Curling Team's tweet appeared like a good-natured, tongue-in-cheek, half-serious "can't hurt to ask" opportunity for increased social media exposure for the team. This probably explains why the public reaction to each was so different (and why Toutant has deleted his original tweet).

So while I agree AC could have handled it better, I'm not sure Toutant would have been as gracious as the US Curling Team even if AC employed DL's exact playbook.

Agree: One was def asking, the other was kind of giving the finger to AC

drvannostren Feb 26, 2018 6:44 pm

Ok, if we give upgrades to gold medal winners, to we give middle seats to those who didn't win :)?