FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Olympian not happy with economy seating (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1895810-olympian-not-happy-economy-seating.html)

jc94 Mar 5, 2018 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Rundosrun (Post 29486388)
It does seem a lot of the FFs have quite the girth these days. J class a bit more comfy for them and those around them.

Really? Really?

Transpacificflyer Mar 5, 2018 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29486137)
It says he's a millionaire. And I think it's quite relevant.
AC offered free or discounted seating for athletes, ensuring they could get to and from the olympics.
If a millionaire wants to sit in PY or J, there's a very easy way to make that happen.

Wrong.
Air Canada did not offer free or discounted seating for athletes just like that. Air Canada was just like any other corporate sponsor; In exchange for goods and services, Air Canada gained access to the COC brand and the members of the COC. This included individuals who have a market presence and who are popular. Air Canada has an increasingly negative brand image. Therefore, the opportunity to use people with a positive image to buff up the tattered Air Canada image was a good opportunity.
Air Canada also obtained prime time advertising with its naming right to the public space at the COC location. CBC mentioned it multiple times as in we are watching the happy crowds at the Air Canada flightdeck at Canada House. This was a business transaction that generated tax offsets just like any other "charitable" donation provides. This does not mean I am discounting Air Canada or being ungrateful. I am merely pointing out that one would be naive to assume that Air Canada just said, oh here's $100,000 of Tango fares, go have fun.

Here's an illustraiton, the Air Canada Media Release
Congratulations to Team Canada for bringing home a record number of medals. Our athletes have inspired all of us at Air Canada with their skills, determination and sportsmanship. As an Official Sponsor of Canada's Olympic and Paralympic teams, we are proud to play our part by safely transporting competitors, team officials and their supporters home to Canada from the PyeongChang Olympic Games," said Benjamin Smith, President, Passenger Airlines at Air Canada. Transporting Canada's team to the Olympics in PyeongChang was a large logistical undertaking requiring the dedicated efforts of hundreds of Air Canada employees. Here are some key facts about Air Canada's involvement:
- Renewed its Altitude Podium Program to provide qualified athletes 35K status and access to International Maple Leaf lounges while competing abroad;
-Sponsored the outdoor area, Air Canada Flight Deck, available to the public, at the Canadian Olympic House in PyeongChang;
- In total, Air Canada transported approximately 750 athletes, coaches and support staff with the Canadian Team to PyeongChang;
- Air Canada's "Our Time" ad supported the athletes by paying tribute to the unique Canadian values that make us all so proud to be a part of this country. Five high-profile athletes featured in the ad are figure skaters Patrick Chan, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir; hockey player Marie-Philip Poulin; and freestyle skier (halfpipe) Cassie Sharpe.
-Air Canada's #FlyTheFlag initiative struck a chord with Canadians keen to show their pride throughout the games and achieved peak mentions in social media.

The reference to the Our Time ad is a rather feeble justification of an Air Canada ad. Nothing wrong with an ad to promote the virtues of an airline, but Ben "Pinnochio" Smith does illustrate my earlier point of trying to gain some brand traction by hitching a mediocre product with negative image issues to a positive attribute.

I have already explained that the Canadian athletes do not have the liberty of selecting where they want to go. As part of the team ,they willingly put aside their personal egos and self interest to accept the group travel option. The COC oversaw the travel arrangements. This was to ensure athlete safety, and to best serve Team Canada as a whole. The only athletes who regularly travel in the ensured premium classes are the full time professionals like the NHL hockey players, tennis players and Team USA Basketball.

Adam Smith Mar 5, 2018 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by NordsFan (Post 29482507)
Journal de Montréal February 2016, gives some info on ST's financial situation with quotes from the man himself.

More recently.

I stand corrected with regards to this particular individual, I hadn't expected his sport to be one of the few where it was possible tp make big money. Times have changed, evidently!

Like the cow, this makes his tweet far worse, as far as I'm concerned.