Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Bad experience with Air Canada and concierge: seat not kept during connection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad experience with Air Canada and concierge: seat not kept during connection

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:14 pm
alc

OP, first of all, I am not on either side, AC or you, but I do have a couple questions to hopefully can help you feel less frustrated.

I see AC 425 landed at 9:13pm and AC 42 delay the departure from 9:25pm to 10:00pm. So, my 1st question to you is, are you sure AC didn't delay AC 42 for you initially?

and my 2nd question is, if you, as a SE 1MM, has a very tight connection at DEL and contact SE Concierge in advance asking them if AC 42 will be delay so you can seek other option in advance, and the Concierge initially say no, but AC 42 got delay which arrived close to an hour late and you missed your connection. Will you also be frustrated as you are right now?

All I am trying to say is that while you might think they didn't try to accommodate you, but maybe they are also trying to accommodate others as well. They have to upset 1 or more PAX and decided to upset you at the end as it might be less affect overall in their mind at the time. These are all split sec (or min) decision sometimes.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Hi OP! Sorry to hear about your situation.

If it is of any consolation, this has happened to me before (as SE 1MM and 2MM) several times and AC decided not to hold the plane for me even though I could get to my gate relatively quickly after deplaning my late arrival ("hold" was subjective as like you, I felt that I still had time to board before the boarding cutoff). The concierges couldn't do anything more other than to put me on another flight, which was what I expected.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 4:31 pm

Happened time to me many times as well. Including closing doors and flight then sitting there for 20m before departure. And of course the next and final flight being cancelled. Must have BU plans and long stopovers to reduce chest pain. Or not fly in winter. Even with long stopovers sometimes have made by skin of teeth even with the BMW. In 22 years one beech waited for me once (or they kept doors open until T-5 (no actual delay) for which I was effusively grateful!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
fI agree with others and implied this in my earlier post- you should have a back up plan - including flight numbers , times and loads if you would find that information useful in asking for what you want. When things go sideways, I ask for what I would like and usually get that.

DEL is close to equal travel time over the Atlantic and Pacific , so there would have been several options.

i agree that the option you were offered was not a good one.

Last edited by Plumber; Feb 20, 2018 at 6:19 pm
Old Feb 20, 2018, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AC requires passengers to be at the departure gate no later than T-15. OP was not. Therefore, he was off-loaded and the flight closed.

All the rest is irrelevant:
- Aircraft at YUL early.
- Captain and FO late.
- Delayed into YYZ

Yes, AC does occasionally hold flights. But, it is a decision made by Operations and the default is not to hold the aircraft. When it happens, that is great. When it does not, you have nothing to complain about.

OP twice speaks of what he was "offered" for a reroute. But, he is an experienced traveler and an SE. He should know what his options were and asked for them in order of preference and not relied on what some agent pulled out of his hat.

This was a risky connection in the first place and OP also did not do much proactively to figure out his options. Hence the lousy reroute.
RatherBeInYOW likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Often1
AC requires passengers to be at the departure gate no later than T-15. OP was not. Therefore, he was off-loaded and the flight closed.

All the rest is irrelevant:
- Aircraft at YUL early.
- Captain and FO late.
- Delayed into YYZ

Yes, AC does occasionally hold flights. But, it is a decision made by Operations and the default is not to hold the aircraft. When it happens, that is great. When it does not, you have nothing to complain about.

OP twice speaks of what he was "offered" for a reroute. But, he is an experienced traveler and an SE. He should know what his options were and asked for them in order of preference and not relied on what some agent pulled out of his hat.

This was a risky connection in the first place and OP also did not do much proactively to figure out his options. Hence the lousy reroute.
+1.
Buyer beware. The connection flight from YUL shows a chronic 30 minute delay. That should have been a red flag.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
An AC flight left right on-time?
Is this black mirror?
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for their useful comments.

It seems clear from almost everyone's opinion that I have been too harsh in my opinion about AC and Concierge service here. It is always good to get the perspective of others.
SK, blue2002, Plumber and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by songsc
The flight was likely to be overbooked and your seat was giving to someone else. Of course you are more entitled to your seat than the person who got upgraded, but following the UA incident it is not wise to unload someone already boarded.
Come on.

This is just a case of missing a connection. Unfortunate, bu a risk one takes when booking a tight connection and then there is a delay. They were at the gate way past the cutoff time. Admittedly not their fault, but you cannot expect the flight to be held for them, even though they occasionally hold a flight.

Not even an issue of concierge service. concierge can help but not holding a plane that long.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
I usually try and do a 3 hour connection time on international flights, especially in the winter. The concierge can hold a flight, I hear they are the only one's, agent wise, with the authority (within certain parameters). The concierge always try to do their best but sometimes when asked to make "bricks without straw" doesn't work. In the SE 1MM world sometime you have to take the good with the bad, or vice versa..
Old Feb 21, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by ff123
Thank you to everyone for their useful comments.

It seems clear from almost everyone's opinion that I have been too harsh in my opinion about AC and Concierge service here. It is always good to get the perspective of others.
I've had incredible experiences with concierges during tight connections, but I don't expect them to hold planes for me. For instance, one time I had 15mins to make an INTL > Domestic connection in YVR. Concierge met me at the gate, drove me to immigration, met me on the other side of security and drove me down to the AC Express gates. I made it to the gate just before the 10min cut-off time. I've had them meet me on arrival with new boarding passes for rebooked flights. And I've had them proactively rebook me before my initial flight as well, so I didn't have to worry about it at my connecting airport.

I think asking for a flight to be held is a bit much though, even though AC does hold flights for connecting passengers on occasion.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:14 pm

This thread laments AC not holding aircraft .

Other thread complains about AC's on time performance.
Air Canada ranks dead last among large NA carriers for On-Time Performance, Again

We can be a little harsh sometimes
Plumber likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
This thread laments AC not holding aircraft .

Other thread complains about AC's on time performance.
Air Canada ranks dead last among large NA carriers for On-Time Performance, Again

We can be a little harsh sometimes
To be fair, the only reason "holding aircraft" was mentioned in this thread was BECAUSE of AC's OTP
Plumber likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Seems there are plenty (at least two) reasons for AC to pad their schedule, in particular, extending the last flights out of the hubs.
j_the_p likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
I'm with the OP. Concierge knew where (s)he was and that (s)he could make the cutoff. It's a radio to the DEL gate from the concierge that OP is off the plane and on his/her way. If OP was clearly going to arrive in YYZ after scheduled departure time of the DEL flight, then I get it. But not in this scenario (if the OP is accurate in their account of the details). I'm not going to admonish the OP for choosing a legal connection. Many times, (and very recently) I've had the last flight to YZF out of YYC held for a connecting passenger, and the last time it happened the pax boarded 10 minutes after scheduled departure. This wasn't a once-a-day international flight. Just my $0.02.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.