Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

The Ebb and Flow of AC 33 YVR - SYD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ebb and Flow of AC 33 YVR - SYD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Quick question : Thinking of booking my pops on AC J from YYZ to SYD using my Aeropesos before they become actual pesos! Is it worth flying on AC in Executive Class or is UA Polaris still the better? Who has the better hard product (pun intended on deflategate)?

Safe Travels,

James
UA operates 787s to Australia which are 2x2x2 configuration. I would say AC has a better hard product when compared to their 787s.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by ChrisA330

UA operates 787s to Australia which are 2x2x2 configuration. I would say AC has a better hard product when compared to their 787s.
Agreed. UA's 787s have the old Continental business class seats.

However, finding J tickets to Sydney is difficult. If you find what you are looking for on UA, grab it!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:31 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
By a mile. The 2-2-2 787 and 2-4-2 777 hard product is absolutely awful. Once it's all Polaris, it should be decent, but until then, it's not even close. It would take a MASSIVE price difference between AC and UA for me to even consider UA on something really long like going to Australia.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
James, the first two answers to your question are valid: AC generally offers a better hard product (than non-Polaris only) and easier connections than UA, but the UA regular business class product is far from awful. Note the "not even close" comment included a configuration on a plane that UA doesn't even fly to Australia. My own experience on AC 33/34 has been hit & miss, and the term 'lie-flat seats' at Air Canada takes on an entirely new meaning if you score a deflated cushion.
Agree with StuMcIlwain above that if you can find UA space, grab it. A variable I'd consider with UA is the YYZ-->US west coast leg, as it may not offer superior connections like in YVR, nor will it be a lie-flat seat, unless you manage to get AC Signature to LAX/SFO. For such a short leg, that's not generally a factor, although it may be appreciated on the eastbound leg following a long TPAC crossing.

Best of luck; your father should be very comfortable on either airline.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 16, 2018 at 9:38 pm Reason: personal invective
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
As someone following this thread with no first-hand experience to contribute, my take of posts 46-48 is that they unanimously shed negative light on UA’s product to AC’s on a particular route where either of the UA options are decidedly subpar. I’d like to think that that sort of first-hand observation is helpful to OP and anyone else who takes interest in this thread.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
The new Polaris product is already offered on UA's Down Under routes and J flyers are increasingly likely to find themselves on a so-equipped plane. They are not likely to see UA's 2x4x2 777 J configuration. I see an out-of-hand condemnation of a carrier offering a rapidly-improving product that shows real potential to provide a preferred option over Air Canada for central and east-coast Canadians traveling to Australia. It may help to point out the provided rationale for such a condemnation may not be completely supported by facts, notwithstanding actual firsthand experience of critics.

Given that the actual seat will almost certainly be very comfortable with either airline, and the experience pleasant, j2simpso's primary variables to consider may come down to award availability, en route (timing & connection) convenience and cost of surcharges. It's a choice to be made by him (and his lucky father, I suppose).

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 17, 2018 at 11:27 am
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
The new Polaris product is already offered on UA's Down Under routes and J flyers are increasingly likely to find themselves on a so-equipped plane. They are not likely to see UA's 2x4x2 777 J configuration. I.
United Business is now called Polaris regardless of the aircraft config, however none of UA’s aircraft operating to Australia offer the new J class seat.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum

United Business is now called Polaris regardless of the aircraft config, however none of UA’s aircraft operating to Australia offer the new J class seat.
UA also does not use the 2-4-2 to Australia. Upgrades are very easy to score on UA to Australia, and you clear when booking your flight. Fly mon-weds.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mellon
UA also does not use the 2-4-2 to Australia.
I'm aware of that given my response in Post 46.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:10 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
James, the first two answers to your question are valid: AC generally offers a better hard product (than non-Polaris only) and easier connections than UA, but the UA regular business class product is far from awful. Note the "not even close" comment included a configuration on a plane that UA doesn't even fly to Australia. My own experience on AC 33/34 has been hit & miss, and the term 'lie-flat seats' at Air Canada takes on an entirely new meaning if you score a deflated cushion.
Spend 15 hours going SIN-SFO with an idiot seatmate constantly climbing over you rather than waiting 15 seconds for you to move out of the way and you will quickly come to appreciate the value of AC's all-aisle access seating. UA's pods are also somewhat cramped, which for someone who's tall or with broad shoulders, is not comfortable on a long flight. And the layout of AC's pod is more convenient for charging but still having access to a phone, for instance. The screen is also farther away in the UA pod. Not a big deal if the remote works properly, but they can be finicky and that can get old fast.

A deflated seat would certainly shift the balance, but in several dozen flights, I've yet to have one, nor has anyone I've travelled with. It's a risk, but one I would be willing to assume.

As for the comment about 777s, the UA pod is pretty much the same between the two. Whether or not it's currently flying Australia was not particularly important - UA has flown 777s to Australia in the recent past and could do so again, equipment swaps may happen from time to time, and so on. And even if not, it's relevant to a general comparison between AC and UA's J products.

You may not have an issue with UA's hard product, but I've flown both UA and AC pods plenty of times and there is a large and clear gap, as far as I'm concerned, and I will vote with my wallet. As ChrisA330 has already pointed out, the 787s serving Australia for UA do not yet have Polaris. Once they do, as I've already said, that may well change the calculus. But fleet-wide Polaris is still a ways off.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3 off T
From YYZ this is great in J. Stay awake to YVR, get to the MLL, have a few, then sleep on the SYD segment arriving next day in the morning. Ive gone to SYD for just one night many times like this, often returning with the same crew.
Originally Posted by fin 645
The huge advantage of AC 33 is the morning arrival. Forget what has gone before, go through the day in a relatively normal fashion, collapse into bed early evening, and you are good. Yes, it's a long haul, but remember that the night/early morning departure from YYZ/YVR is afternoon/early evening in Sydney. So you have dinner(s) in accordance with destination time, snack mid flight as needed, have breakfast at an actual breakfast time, and it will all work.
​​​​​​​Doing AC33 in the coming days and I still am not sure how to best adjust given I normally sleep just 4-6hrs a night. Thinking of sleeping YYZ-YVR and then staying awake for the first 8hrs YVR-SYD and sleeping the remainder of the "Australia night" so awake in time from breakfast in Sydney.

Last edited by YVRtoYYZ; Nov 8, 2018 at 7:51 am
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
​​​​​​​Doing AC33 in the coming days and I still am not sure how to best adjust given I normally sleep just 4-6hrs a night. Thinking of sleeping YYZ-YVR and then staying awake for the first 8hrs YVR-SYD and sleeping the remainder of the "Australia night" so awake in time from breakfast in Sydney.
If you are doing 33 on Saturday, I shall see you then.

Personally, I tend to nod off on the YVR portion but get a good 8 hours in towards SYD.

If all goes well, I wake up with about 6 hours left...a bit of food/movies/breakfast

That has been my standard routine for years

Although, this trip I am in PE, so my sleep I am sure will be different
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
If you are doing 33 on Saturday, I shall see you then.
Won't be too many rows away from you then.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Won't be too many rows away from you then.
AC33 mini-do confirmed !

are you in front of the curtain or behind?
Old Nov 9, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
AC33 mini-do confirmed !

are you in front of the curtain or behind?
PM me and I'll try to coordinate same-day eUp sharing for you (dependent on fare class and co-pay) .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.