Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Toilet paper is the new paper hand towel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Toilet paper is the new paper hand towel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Originally Posted by karachi
those hand dryers spread bacteria all over the place. paper towels are better/
Tested in
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sorry, my fault. This has happened to me hundreds of times on Air Canada (AC) flights (no paper towels and used my pants or toilet paper to dry my hands)... but I never cared to tell the Air Canada (AC) crew about it. (Frankly, I couldn't give a crap though...no pun intended).

Therefore according to the armchair Air Canada FOTSG experts here, they have deemed it as my fault.
Absorbent pants?? Going back to your J seat? That would explain the damp seat last week

The 789s seem to be better about paper product dispensing than the 777s. The slave ships give you clumps of paper towels, especially the bigger lavatory between J and Premium economy.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:24 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by acysb87
...slave ships ...
?

Now I really feel special. I get to travel in slave ships!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
?

Now I really feel special. I get to travel in slave ships!
"Slaveship" or "Big Bertha" were terms coined by AC FAs when the original 777HDs (77P ?) came into service. Remember the crappy J cabin with the coffin-like staggered pods?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by YYC traveler
Interesting and while it now appears to be common sense after watching this, it is worth noting that no airline, Air Canada included, will ever move to a dryer onboard an aircraft. The electrical demands for such, let alone the costs to certify said unit onboard an aircraft, would mean we will never see it in the sky.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:51 pm

"Slaveship" or "Big Bertha" were terms coined by AC FAs when the original 777HDs (77P ?) came into service. Remember the crappy J cabin with the coffin-like staggered pods?
Those names I did not hear. The first Trip-Seven HD I was on, the cabin crew and I did complain about how we all hated the plane, but the best I could come up with was "Cattle Car". Unoriginal I know. Slave ship sounds far more accurate.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Those names I did not hear. The first Trip-Seven HD I was on, the cabin crew and I did complain about how we all hated the plane, but the best I could come up with was "Cattle Car". Unoriginal I know. Slave ship sounds far more accurate.
Trust me on this - if you talk to more and more FAs and SDs, you will find that they used these nicknames.

"Big Bertha", I was told by several YUL-based FAs, were mainly used by them... 'Slaveship" was more commonly used by other city-based FAs... there might have been other nicknames but I never heard them.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:02 pm

I can only imagine what they are calling the new 737 Max.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: TK *G
I can only imagine what they are calling the new 737 Max.
Slave boat I guess.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
the absolute worst J cabins on AC were the ones on the A340's .. the green leather angled lie flats where you slid down every few minutes.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by karachi
the absolute worst J cabins on AC were the ones on the A340's .. the green leather angled lie flats where you slid down every few minutes.
LOL. Yeah, I remember being on the first commercial flight of the AC 345 (wedgie makers).

(For the record, the 343's never had the lie-flat angled seats that the 345 had)

But the 343 and 345 definitely had the same low quality hand towels.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
[QUOTE=KDS777;29350030]So you wanted them to delay departure by XX minutes because of paper towels ? I've seen planes wait 30-60 minutes at the gate for a late catering truck to arrive and service an 11 hour flight. Last minute paper towel runs......heh......those aren't gonna happen I'm afraid.

Doesn't excuse the aircraft LAV's not being groomed and stocked properly though. I've had this happen on every airline before, even in J, I just shake my hands and use a piece of kleenex or TP.[/QUOTE

We were on an extended delay at the gate with the door still open - that's why I thought to mention it. Not worth delaying the flight further, but while we were sitting around anyhow, it was worth asking. I thought they might have some stashed somewhere.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:43 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by YYC traveler
While Mythbusters was entertaining keep in mind it was just that - entertainment. Others, many others, with much more rigorous research methods and protocols have come to vastly different conclusions.

Depending on them as a definitive source of scientific research would be - kindly put - unwise.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:49 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by KDS777
So you wanted them to delay departure by XX minutes because of paper towels ?
I suspect what was wanted was for Air Canada to get their act together and stop using "it was not us it was a service we contracted for and therefore not our fault" as an all encompassing excuse for their failures.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Originally Posted by KenHamer
I suspect what was wanted was for Air Canada to get their act together and stop using "it was not us it was a service we contracted for and therefore not our fault" as an all encompassing excuse for their failures.
It was the very start of what was going to be a 6+ hour flight, we were still hadn't left the gate, the door was open, and if the bathroom was in that state at the start, I dreaded to think of what it would be like at the end (fortunately, I was able to put off further restroom breaks until running gratefully to the nearest loo in SFO after landing).
What was wanted? A simple, "I understand, I'll see what we can do" would have been acceptable, even if there was nothing that could be done. Actually restocking the lav while we were sitting around at the gate would have been a bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.