Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Toilet paper is the new paper hand towel

Old Jan 27, 18, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects

On a New 737-8 YUL-YVR tonight. During the over 1 1/2 hour ground delay due to mechanical issues in YUL, walked back to use the loo. Floor and walls were quite wet. Washed my hands - no paper towels. Used a Kleenex, which shredded.
Mentioned gently and politely to the flight attendant drinking orange juice in the back that there were no paper towels. “There’s paper!” he replied brusquely, opening the loo door and pointing to the toilet paper rolls. “No, I mean paper towels.” He grabbed a Kleenex and shook it at me. “And that’s paper too!”

Air Canada service enhancement?

We were still at the gate, so there was time to notify someone. And when on this 7 hour odyssey all the toilet paper gets used up to dry hands, what should we use to (sorry) wipe our bottoms? Store up your cocktail napkins, unless they want to start using tp for that also!
cruisr likes this.

Last edited by dibby; Jan 27, 18 at 12:31 am Reason: Word missing
Old Jan 27, 18, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
AC has an interesting relationship with paper towels. They chose paper towels that are closer to sand-paper in texture and then, when you pull one out of the dispenser, a bunch sometimes fall into the sink.

Other airlines used different paper products and I've yet to experience this.

I am not 100% sure, but it seems like AC got a bulk deal on these, as the ones in the lavs look like the ones in the MLLs. There too, you pull one and a bunch follow.

@dibby
As for your adventures watching tissues shred to bits when used to wipe wet hands, this should be interesting when this stuff clogs the sinks.
Old Jan 27, 18, 7:30 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
This is a pet peeve of mine in many restaurants/Timmies/fast food joints - they have only electric dryers, and no hand towels.
If one wants to wash ones face, there is only toilet paper to dry it - very sub-optimal.
And even for hands, the dryers are often useless.
One must remember to grab napkins before heading to the washroom.
TDOA_8 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 18, 8:24 am

You’re lucky it’s not hand towels being the new toilet paper.
karachi likes this.
Old Jan 27, 18, 10:24 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine in many restaurants/Timmies/fast food joints - they have only electric dryers, and no hand towels.
If one wants to wash ones face, there is only toilet paper to dry it - very sub-optimal.
And even for hands, the dryers are often useless.
One must remember to grab napkins before heading to the washroom.
i use my pockets for drying hands
Old Jan 27, 18, 12:40 pm

Programs: Build a RoboCop Statue in Detroit
I see that I am not the only one who has this issue. There are excellent paper towel products available. They are just as environmentally favourable as the brown recycled waste paper AC currently uses. The difference is that the better quality towels cost more per unit.
Unfortunately, no one at AC bothered to do a cost benefit calculation: The properly dispensed quality towels can dry with one sheet. The brown sandpaper recycled carboard fiber stock has less absorbancy requiring more towels to be used, and as noted above, dispenses poorly, so more of it is wasted. It's 1-2 of the quality paper towels vs. 5-10 of the brown garbage.

Originally Posted by songsc View Post
i use my pockets for drying hands
I have done that too. Unfortunately, it can give the impression that I peed in my pants. It's bad enough I have come out of the lav with my zipper open, but water spots too might just be too humiliating.
Old Jan 27, 18, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cost benefit analysis. Exactly.

I recently did a series of multiple flights on SQ, QF, EY, LX, TK and of course AC.

SQ has unique wash-cloth type towels (like the ones I've used on NH and BR) and you only need one. They had a separate disposal for those. Since they can be washed, perhaps there are savings. Added plus: they are not AC sandpaper.

QF, EY, LX and TK all had variation of a nice white paper towel with a bit of a cloth feel. Again, one of these towels was all that was needed.

Bonus points: indeed, with all the other airlines listed above, only one single cloth or towel was needed and used.
Old Jan 27, 18, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K AC-MM BA-S HH-D IHG-Amb
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
Cost benefit analysis. Exactly.

I recently did a series of multiple flights on SQ, QF, EY, LX, TK and of course AC.

SQ has unique wash-cloth type towels (like the ones I've used on NH and BR) and you only need one. They had a separate disposal for those. Since they can be washed, perhaps there are savings. Added plus: they are not AC sandpaper.

QF, EY, LX and TK all had variation of a nice white paper towel with a bit of a cloth feel. Again, one of these towels was all that was needed.

Bonus points: indeed, with all the other airlines listed above, only one single cloth or towel was needed and used.
And all the airlines mentioned above regularly service (with varying frequency) their washrooms during long-haul flights.
--
13F
Old Jan 27, 18, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a couple of photos since these things impressed me...

Better quality paper towels with only one sheet needed may be less expensive than the AC cardboard, but the buyers and accountants might be using some other metric that would lead them to think their selection was efficient.

I have no expectations that AC will change their towels, but as for the OP being told by crew to use toilet paper to wipe their hands, is that the best solution that could be offered?

This is the hand towel from SQ J.

And of course, they are the same as or similar to those on BR.

And these are the towel paper and tissue dispensers.

Old Jan 27, 18, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC E50K/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium E/Accor-FPC Gold/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dibby View Post
On a New 737-8 YUL-YVR tonight. During the over 1 1/2 hour ground delay due to mechanical issues in YUL, walked back to use the loo. Floor and walls were quite wet. Washed my hands - no paper towels. Used a Kleenex, which shredded.
Mentioned gently and politely to the flight attendant drinking orange juice in the back that there were no paper towels. “There’s paper!” he replied brusquely, opening the loo door and pointing to the toilet paper rolls. “No, I mean paper towels.” He grabbed a Kleenex and shook it at me. “And that’s paper too!”

Air Canada service enhancement?

We were still at the gate, so there was time to notify someone. And when on this 7 hour odyssey all the toilet paper gets used up to dry hands, what should we use to (sorry) wipe our bottoms? Store up your cocktail napkins, unless they want to start using tp for that also!
Unreal, but not surprising.

Shiny new aircraft, with FA attitude.

Well done, AC.
Old Jan 27, 18, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
FA Laziness? He didn't want to dirty his hands as he was drinking OJ? Imagine how messy the lav will get if everyone was using cheap toilet paper to dry their hands for 5 hours? Oh right, that FA doesn't have to clean the lav. That is someone else's job.
Old Jan 28, 18, 9:14 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
FA Laziness? He didn't want to dirty his hands as he was drinking OJ? Imagine how messy the lav will get if everyone was using cheap toilet paper to dry their hands for 5 hours? Oh right, that FA doesn't have to clean the lav. That is someone else's job.

So say you had to do #2 and you never checked to see if there was any paper or you did not care as you simply had to go??? Do you call the help button and then the F/A do what?
Old Jan 28, 18, 9:20 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
AC never fails to find a way to disappoint.
Old Jan 28, 18, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
Originally Posted by dibby
We were still at the gate, so there was time to notify someone.
So you wanted them to delay departure by XX minutes because of paper towels ? I've seen planes wait 30-60 minutes at the gate for a late catering truck to arrive and service an 11 hour flight. Last minute paper towel runs......heh......those aren't gonna happen I'm afraid.

Doesn't excuse the aircraft LAV's not being groomed and stocked properly though. I've had this happen on every airline before, even in J, I just shake my hands and use a piece of kleenex or TP.

Last edited by KDS777; Jan 28, 18 at 1:09 pm
Old Jan 28, 18, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
At least there was running water.

I've had YYZ-SFO flights (my last one was over 5 hours in the air) that had no running water, which was known before boarding began.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: