Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Toilet paper is the new paper hand towel

Toilet paper is the new paper hand towel

Old Jan 27, 18, 12:29 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: YXE/SFO
Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Posts: 359
Toilet paper is the new paper hand towel

On a New 737-8 YUL-YVR tonight. During the over 1 1/2 hour ground delay due to mechanical issues in YUL, walked back to use the loo. Floor and walls were quite wet. Washed my hands - no paper towels. Used a Kleenex, which shredded.
Mentioned gently and politely to the flight attendant drinking orange juice in the back that there were no paper towels. “There’s paper!” he replied brusquely, opening the loo door and pointing to the toilet paper rolls. “No, I mean paper towels.” He grabbed a Kleenex and shook it at me. “And that’s paper too!”

Air Canada service enhancement?

We were still at the gate, so there was time to notify someone. And when on this 7 hour odyssey all the toilet paper gets used up to dry hands, what should we use to (sorry) wipe our bottoms? Store up your cocktail napkins, unless they want to start using tp for that also!
cruisr likes this.

Last edited by dibby; Jan 27, 18 at 12:31 am Reason: Word missing
dibby is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 12:40 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 17,879
AC has an interesting relationship with paper towels. They chose paper towels that are closer to sand-paper in texture and then, when you pull one out of the dispenser, a bunch sometimes fall into the sink.

Other airlines used different paper products and I've yet to experience this.

I am not 100% sure, but it seems like AC got a bulk deal on these, as the ones in the lavs look like the ones in the MLLs. There too, you pull one and a bunch follow.

@dibby
As for your adventures watching tissues shred to bits when used to wipe wet hands, this should be interesting when this stuff clogs the sinks.
24left is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 7:30 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 5,645
This is a pet peeve of mine in many restaurants/Timmies/fast food joints - they have only electric dryers, and no hand towels.
If one wants to wash ones face, there is only toilet paper to dry it - very sub-optimal.
And even for hands, the dryers are often useless.
One must remember to grab napkins before heading to the washroom.
TDOA_8 likes this.
IluvSQ is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 8:24 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,824
You’re lucky it’s not hand towels being the new toilet paper.
karachi likes this.
jjclancy is online now  
Old Jan 27, 18, 10:24 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: YYZ
Programs: TK *G
Posts: 2,160
Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
This is a pet peeve of mine in many restaurants/Timmies/fast food joints - they have only electric dryers, and no hand towels.
If one wants to wash ones face, there is only toilet paper to dry it - very sub-optimal.
And even for hands, the dryers are often useless.
One must remember to grab napkins before heading to the washroom.
i use my pockets for drying hands
songsc is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 12:40 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Grounded until Q3 2021
Programs: Build a RoboCop Statue in Detroit
Posts: 2,718
I see that I am not the only one who has this issue. There are excellent paper towel products available. They are just as environmentally favourable as the brown recycled waste paper AC currently uses. The difference is that the better quality towels cost more per unit.
Unfortunately, no one at AC bothered to do a cost benefit calculation: The properly dispensed quality towels can dry with one sheet. The brown sandpaper recycled carboard fiber stock has less absorbancy requiring more towels to be used, and as noted above, dispenses poorly, so more of it is wasted. It's 1-2 of the quality paper towels vs. 5-10 of the brown garbage.

Originally Posted by songsc View Post
i use my pockets for drying hands
I have done that too. Unfortunately, it can give the impression that I peed in my pants. It's bad enough I have come out of the lav with my zipper open, but water spots too might just be too humiliating.
Transpacificflyer is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 1:19 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 17,879
Cost benefit analysis. Exactly.

I recently did a series of multiple flights on SQ, QF, EY, LX, TK and of course AC.

SQ has unique wash-cloth type towels (like the ones I've used on NH and BR) and you only need one. They had a separate disposal for those. Since they can be washed, perhaps there are savings. Added plus: they are not AC sandpaper.

QF, EY, LX and TK all had variation of a nice white paper towel with a bit of a cloth feel. Again, one of these towels was all that was needed.

Bonus points: indeed, with all the other airlines listed above, only one single cloth or towel was needed and used.
24left is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 1:34 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YOW
Programs: AC-SE100K AC-MM BA-S HH-D IHG-Amb
Posts: 3,607
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
Cost benefit analysis. Exactly.

I recently did a series of multiple flights on SQ, QF, EY, LX, TK and of course AC.

SQ has unique wash-cloth type towels (like the ones I've used on NH and BR) and you only need one. They had a separate disposal for those. Since they can be washed, perhaps there are savings. Added plus: they are not AC sandpaper.

QF, EY, LX and TK all had variation of a nice white paper towel with a bit of a cloth feel. Again, one of these towels was all that was needed.

Bonus points: indeed, with all the other airlines listed above, only one single cloth or towel was needed and used.
And all the airlines mentioned above regularly service (with varying frequency) their washrooms during long-haul flights.
--
13F
Seat13F_AC_CRJ is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 2:15 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Posts: 17,879
I had a couple of photos since these things impressed me...

Better quality paper towels with only one sheet needed may be less expensive than the AC cardboard, but the buyers and accountants might be using some other metric that would lead them to think their selection was efficient.

I have no expectations that AC will change their towels, but as for the OP being told by crew to use toilet paper to wipe their hands, is that the best solution that could be offered?


This is the hand towel from SQ J.



And of course, they are the same as or similar to those on BR.




And these are the towel paper and tissue dispensers.

24left is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 2:17 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: YYF/YCG/YXC
Programs: AS MVP/AC E50K/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium E/Accor-FPC Gold/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,985
Originally Posted by dibby View Post
On a New 737-8 YUL-YVR tonight. During the over 1 1/2 hour ground delay due to mechanical issues in YUL, walked back to use the loo. Floor and walls were quite wet. Washed my hands - no paper towels. Used a Kleenex, which shredded.
Mentioned gently and politely to the flight attendant drinking orange juice in the back that there were no paper towels. “There’s paper!” he replied brusquely, opening the loo door and pointing to the toilet paper rolls. “No, I mean paper towels.” He grabbed a Kleenex and shook it at me. “And that’s paper too!”

Air Canada service enhancement?

We were still at the gate, so there was time to notify someone. And when on this 7 hour odyssey all the toilet paper gets used up to dry hands, what should we use to (sorry) wipe our bottoms? Store up your cocktail napkins, unless they want to start using tp for that also!
Unreal, but not surprising.

Shiny new aircraft, with FA attitude.

Well done, AC.
PointWeasel is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 2:28 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Canada
Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Posts: 1,161
FA Laziness? He didn't want to dirty his hands as he was drinking OJ? Imagine how messy the lav will get if everyone was using cheap toilet paper to dry their hands for 5 hours? Oh right, that FA doesn't have to clean the lav. That is someone else's job.
Sunny Day is offline  
Old Jan 28, 18, 9:14 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: YOW
Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Posts: 3,659
Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
FA Laziness? He didn't want to dirty his hands as he was drinking OJ? Imagine how messy the lav will get if everyone was using cheap toilet paper to dry their hands for 5 hours? Oh right, that FA doesn't have to clean the lav. That is someone else's job.

So say you had to do #2 and you never checked to see if there was any paper or you did not care as you simply had to go??? Do you call the help button and then the F/A do what?
HerpaYvr is offline  
Old Jan 28, 18, 9:20 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: YYZ ✈ YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 2,478
AC never fails to find a way to disappoint.
Symmetre is offline  
Old Jan 28, 18, 1:00 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: YYC
Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat, Nat EE
Posts: 882
Originally Posted by dibby
We were still at the gate, so there was time to notify someone.
So you wanted them to delay departure by XX minutes because of paper towels ? I've seen planes wait 30-60 minutes at the gate for a late catering truck to arrive and service an 11 hour flight. Last minute paper towel runs......heh......those aren't gonna happen I'm afraid.

Doesn't excuse the aircraft LAV's not being groomed and stocked properly though. I've had this happen on every airline before, even in J, I just shake my hands and use a piece of kleenex or TP.

Last edited by KDS777; Jan 28, 18 at 1:09 pm
KDS777 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 18, 1:14 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 35,096
At least there was running water.

I've had YYZ-SFO flights (my last one was over 5 hours in the air) that had no running water, which was known before boarding began.
canadiancow is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: