Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Upgraded flight delay, possibility to change flight while keeping the upgrade?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.

I will be flying on AC107 on Jan 3rd, and for the last 11 days... it managed to arrive in YVR on time only once. On most days the flight will delay well over one hour.
What are my options in this case, I don't want to miss my first class of the year but I don't want to lose the upgrade either.

Q1: If AC delays the flight on the day of, if I move to an earlier flight, do I lose the upgrade if R=0 and J >= 1?
Q2: It also extremely likely that AC will allow rebooking free of charge on the day of but do I also lose my upgrade in the process?

My upgrade is already confirmed and I am looking to taking the 8AM depature instead given the fact that AC 107 OTA rate is literal dog poop.

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jan 1, 2018 at 11:17 am
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:21 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
AC103 at 8 is same aircraft type (77W) showing
J9 C9 D7 Z6 P6 R3 O9 E9 N6 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q8 V0 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0
789 at 7 am AC101
Showing J9 C9 D9 Z9 P8 R5 O9 E9 N9 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q7 V1 W0 G0 S0 T0 L0 A0 K0
so looks like you should be ok. Of course if you are really worried about making your class, you could just pay change fee now (since you likely would have to anyway but sometimes they will accommodate if your other flight is significant delayed and they already know it) and guarantee you are on the flight of your choosing since R space is available with the most comfortable seats.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
so looks like you should be ok.
OP, be very careful with this statement- with current WX all kinds if circumstances could drive big change in paid biz to other flights, and you may then NOT be OK.

plan accordingly
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
So if I pay $75 to change I might be bumped back to Y because paid J want to SDC?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
If you have an hour, call in and ask. See if an all-or-nothing change is possible.

Only going to a syllabus during the first class, anyway.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
In the past I've managed to SDC flights for $75 and keep my upgrade. Definitely confirm with the agent first though.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

I am ready to pull the trigger but just want to see if some one with J fare SDC to a different flight with J0, would AC bump a confirmed eup back to Y(seems wrong tbh).
And if AC does such things, how would they proceed?(Do they go by status or time of upgrade confirmation?)

Last edited by Jumper Jack; Jan 1, 2018 at 3:05 pm
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:19 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
If your upgrade has been confirmed in advance, the circumstances in which you could be downgraded are minute: last-minute aircraft swap, deadheading captain needing a seat, maybe one or two others.

It's highly unlikely you'll pay the $75 and then get downgraded.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS
Only going to a syllabus during the first class, anyway.
If you miss class, you miss class. Go to the professors office, explain due to flight delays you were late. Get to *know* the professor one on one and ask if there were any important details you missed and if you could get any material handed out or copies of slides.

Life happens, flights are delayed, learn to work around it for future real world work. Think of this as practice of dealing with a client meeting you missed. Don't sweat it!
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
If you miss class, you miss class. Go to the professors office, explain due to flight delays you were late. Get to *know* the professor one on one and ask if there were any important details you missed and if you could get any material handed out or copies of slides.

Life happens, flights are delayed, learn to work around it for future real world work. Think of this as practice of dealing with a client meeting you missed. Don't sweat it!
You took the words out of my mouth.

Back to topic at hand:

If you have a confirmed upgrade to J, you can very well pay a SDC on the day of travel and confirm yourself if J is positive. (J to J)

I know there are many different experiences on this and I'm not certain what the official policy is, but I have done this several times.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
My upgrade is already confirmed and I am looking to taking the 8AM depature instead given the fact that AC 107 OTA rate is literal dog poop.
Has the definition of literal changed?
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Are you gift eUpping the flight?

When you are in confirmed R, any IRROPS can be done directly to J.

In fact, if there's a travel alert on the website, you can switch to any flight free of charge as long as J1.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Are you gift eUpping the flight?
What does this have anything to do with Jack's question?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
What does this have anything to do with Jack's question?
It has everything to do with everything in life. Including you.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
It has everything to do with everything in life. Including you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.