FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   The Forum Lounge Thread (2018) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1885419-forum-lounge-thread-2018-a.html)

Jumper Jack Jan 12, 2018 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by eigenvector (Post 29283992)
Watched all of season 3 on my TLV/KEF/YYZ flights yesterday. Very good and it took my mind off of the anguish of flying WOW Air. :p

Seriously though, WOW was fine. Flew on a new-plane-smell A320neo and they even have a little tray at eye level to put your mobile device on for easier watching.

They say watching the "Shut up and dance" episode has the same effect as a five hour rouge flight in Y.

Jumper Jack Jan 12, 2018 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce (Post 29285945)
Down to below 22c in Singapore this week. I actually tuned the AC off for the night and left the windows open.

Jealous af

songsc Jan 12, 2018 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29285961)
Jealous af

No need to be jealous. Just wait till summer. Just wait till May.

vernonc Jan 12, 2018 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 29285630)
AC854 - my home away from home.

Now you sound like a Rouge announcement

Jumper Jack Jan 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Flu activity in Canada up 72% this year: Flu activity in Canada 'high' and continuing to rise, latest public health numbers say - Health - CBC News

Which is not surprising, as UBC Student Health is completely swamped, no appointments were available for booking until 21 days later

Personally this is first time I got the flu in over four years and it knocked me out for five days thus far... so please get your flu shots asap if you haven't.
Even though H3N2 may have also mutated, making the vaccine less effective against it, some protection is better than none.

Point of concern though:

Bogoch said the potential weakness in the flu vaccine's ability to protect against the H3N2 strain is an issue this year, noting he's seen early data suggesting it may be only 10 per cent effective.

tcook052 Jan 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29286270)
Personally this is first time I got the flu in over four years and it knocked me out for five days thus far... so please get your flu shots asap if you haven't.

Interesting Jack as I've never had a flu shot and have never been laid up with the flu in my adult life. Ever. The occasional cold, sure, but never have suffered the flu like some friends so hopefully that makes me immune.

Jumper Jack Jan 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 29286285)
Interesting Jack as I've never had a flu shot and have never been laid up with the flu in my adult life. Ever. The occasional cold, sure, but never have suffered the flu like some friends so hopefully that makes me immune.

I had the same thought too... though perhaps a vaccine is better than hoping(unless you have serious reaction to it)

pewpew Jan 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29286270)
Flu activity in Canada up 72% this year: Flu activity in Canada 'high' and continuing to rise, latest public health numbers say - Health - CBC News

Which is not surprising, as UBC Student Health is completely swamped, no appointments were available for booking until 21 days later

Even though H3N2 may have also mutated, making the vaccine less effective against it, some protection is better than none.

Point of concern though:

I got the flu twice this year in the span of two weeks, both times while traveling. Bad luck I guess

Originally Posted by songsc (Post 29285593)

LOL thanks. If I know which flight you are on I will tip a glass towards you as well. -15 doesn't feel that bad since we just had a week of below -20 not too long ago.

Somehow, the current bout of -4 weather in Norway feels worse than the -40 weather I experienced in Edmonton a few weeks ago. I think I'm getting weak

tcook052 Jan 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 29286431)
Somehow, the current bout of -4 weather in Norway feels worse than the -40 weather I experienced in Edmonton a few weeks ago.

Weeks ago? It was "experienced" again yesterday. ;)

pewpew Jan 12, 2018 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 29286462)
Weeks ago? It was "experienced" again yesterday. ;)

Well luckily I didn't have to experience that one ;)

canadiancow Jan 12, 2018 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 29286285)

Vaccines work best when they're delivered to enough people for herd immunity.

It doesn't matter if the strongest members of society don't need it to stay healthy. They need to get it to help the weakest members of society.

quantumofforce Jan 13, 2018 4:25 am

Originally Posted by songsc (Post 29286008)

No need to be jealous. Just wait till summer. Just wait till May.

When you say "Just wait till summer" you mean in YYT? Because it's windy AF this week too.

Aslo, anyone in Singapore for the do this weekend?

songsc Jan 13, 2018 5:12 am

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 29286431)
Somehow, the current bout of -4 weather in Norway feels worse than the -40 weather I experienced in Edmonton a few weeks ago. I think I'm getting weak

Humidity, wind, etc all have much to do about how you feel about temperature. I once encountered -10 in a humid, windy situation, unbearable. So it's probably not you getting weaker :p

Originally Posted by quantumofforce (Post 29287283)
When you say "Just wait till summer" you mean in YYT? Because it's windy AF this week too.

Every time I visit HKG/KUL/SIN in summer, I got hit with thunder storm followed by +35 degree temperature pretty much everyday. The good thing is that a quick trip down there will make me stop complaining the summer in YYZ.

And YYT has summer? I thought it's only winter, spring, and fall. :D

yyznomad Jan 13, 2018 10:12 am

@ffsim

MEEP MEEP!

ffsim Jan 13, 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29288092)
@ffsim

MEEP MEEP!

Sloooooooooowwwwww.

quantumofforce Jan 13, 2018 10:28 am

Originally Posted by songsc (Post 29287360)
Humidity, wind, etc all have much to do about how you feel about temperature. I once encountered -10 in a humid, windy situation, unbearable. So it's probably not you getting weaker :p

Every time I visit HKG/KUL/SIN in summer, I got hit with thunder storm followed by +35 degree temperature pretty much everyday. The good thing is that a quick trip down there will make me stop complaining the summer in YYZ.

And YYT has summer? I thought it's only winter, spring, and fall. :D

summer in YYT is a hidden gem, it is only 3 days long (according to Rick Mercer).

YYC traveler Jan 13, 2018 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce (Post 29288131)
summer in YYT is a hidden gem, it is only 3 days long (according to Rick Mercer).

Are they consecutive days?:rolleyes:

canadiancow Jan 13, 2018 7:11 pm

I came across the term MOLA today on FT.

I'm growing fond of it.

AC has a few of those.

Mistaken Or Lying Agent

Though I feel like over here on the AC forum, we prefer to say "did they say R space was required?"

songsc Jan 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29289795)

I'm growing fond of it.

AC has a few of those.

Mistaken Or Lying Agent

Though I feel like over here on the AC forum, we prefer to say "did they say R space was required?"

Or just say I work at the airport.

yyznomad Jan 14, 2018 12:36 am

Originally Posted by songsc (Post 29289940)
Or just say I work at the airport.

GA went all IWATA on me, and I had hunch they were MOLA.

In addition to the "require R space" BS, I will begin using IWATA and MOLA from this point on.

SparseFlyer Jan 14, 2018 4:26 am

I'm growing fond of it.

AC has a few of those.

Mistaken Or Lying Agent

I think you need R space to post on FT.

Adam Smith Jan 14, 2018 10:52 am

I'm growing fond of it.

AC has a few of those.

Mistaken Or Lying Agent

^

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 29290717)

Maybe you should work at the FT call centre.

canadiancow Jan 14, 2018 11:34 am

Do I need R space to get into the Signature Suite?

yyznomad Jan 14, 2018 11:55 am

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer (Post 29290717)

How about to start a new thread about something that already has 10 new recent threads? Do I need R, P, or Z? Of full J?

Adam Smith Jan 14, 2018 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29291977)
How about to start a new thread about something that already has 10 new recent threads? Do I need R, P, or Z? Of full J?

Availability must be at least J12.

yyznomad Jan 14, 2018 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith (Post 29292022)
Availability must be at least J12.

Ok, so I just look at the FT seatmap first. 12 empty seats means 12 available, right?

canopus27 Jan 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29291977)

To address the problem of multiple new threads, FT is introducing a new capability, "branded threads". Superficially, a title might look like a particular thread is about Air Canada, or the best hotels Singapore ... but the actual content of the thread is now actually dependent on the thread code. The thread code is easy to determine; all you need to do is view the HTML, and the head element will have a two letter suffix indicating the actual purpose of the thread. It's easy!

24left Jan 14, 2018 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by canopus27 (Post 29292213)
To address the problem of multiple new threads, FT is introducing a new capability, "branded threads". Superficially, a title might look like a particular thread is about Air Canada, or the best hotels Singapore ... but the actual content of the thread is now actually dependent on the thread code. The thread code is easy to determine; all you need to do is view the HTML, and the head element will have a two letter suffix indicating the actual purpose of the thread. It's easy!

:D Just brilliant. Also, LMAO

canadiancow Jan 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Has anyone ever installed a soda fountain at home?

I'm looking at options, and it seems like I'd need a "counter electric" model. It's a little taller than I'd like (it would block access to a significant amount of cupboard space), but I don't want a system that needs to be constantly topped up with ice.

Jumper Jack Jan 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29292806)

I'm looking at options, and it seems like I'd need a "counter electric" model. It's a little taller than I'd like (it would block access to a significant amount of cupboard space), but I don't want a system that needs to be constantly topped up with ice.

A sodastream might be a better alternative

songsc Jan 14, 2018 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29292847)

​​​​​​​A wine stream is even better :D

quantumofforce Jan 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by YYC traveler (Post 29288791)
Are they consecutive days?:rolleyes:

not necessarily

quantumofforce Jan 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 29290297)
GA went all IWATA on me, and I had hunch they were MOLA.

In addition to the "require R space" BS, I will begin using IWATA and MOLA from this point on.

What's IWATA ?

24left Jan 14, 2018 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by quantumofforce (Post 29293061)
What's IWATA ?

I Work At The Airport

as in

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-re-wrong.html

canadiancow Jan 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack (Post 29292847)

I don't understand where the syrup gets hooked up to that.

quantumofforce Jan 14, 2018 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by 24left (Post 29293072)

thanks!

YEG_SE4Life Jan 14, 2018 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29292806)

Just move into YEG MLL. You can wait for the Peeves to show up and instruct him on its use.

yyznomad Jan 14, 2018 8:54 pm

The Flames have been surging lately.

Jumper Jack Jan 14, 2018 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 29293117)
I don't understand where the syrup gets hooked up to that.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sodas...nIhbwYbyjeOMM:
Its like Keurig

yyznomad Jan 14, 2018 8:58 pm

A Sheraton property let me use a Sodastream with several flavour packs as a "welcome gift", but it wasn't mine to keep.
I thought it was lame (both the gift-non-gift, and the Sodastream itself).