Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jc94
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition and 2017 edition

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. More Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs should be posted elsewhere on FT as should topics better suited to other forums such as Travel Products for questions about luggage or Travel Photography for discussion about cameras.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2018)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:36 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by tcook052
Pats would've lost to Steelers in last season's playoffs had the zebras not muffed a TD call in a monumental way.
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
The Pats have been beneficiaries of a call or two over the last 15 years, not the least of which was the call in that game you referenced.
You're both wrong. Many people didn't like the call, but it was the correct call, based on the rules in place at the time. That was a big catalyst for the NFL finally taking action on the catch rule and was cited by the competition committee as an example of something that wasn't previously a catch that now would be.

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Is this FlyerTalk or FlyersTalk?
This is the forum lounge thread, where things totally unrelated to flying can be discussed.

I have no comment on the disgusting second half of your post.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
You're both wrong. Many people didn't like the call, but it was the correct call, based on the rules in place at the time. That was a big catalyst for the NFL finally taking action on the catch rule and was cited by the competition committee as an example of something that wasn't previously a catch that now would be.
Point taken. I assure you the team need not be defended to me - I know the annoyance of everyone suggesting it is nothing but luck and poor officiating that has created the greatest coach and greatest QB in the history of the game. People are jealous and really hate the Pats and those of us that are fans.

Some years ago I took to carrying a picture of myself as a small child in all of my Pats gear, LONG before Brady (or Bledsoe for that matter) to prove I'm not just a fan because of the dynasty.

But I digress. You are probably right about the play in question - though I maintain the Pats came out on the good side of that call. Having said that, there were a LOT of teams that benefited from the terribly murky rule at the time. I just tend to let all the jealous Pats haters talk about bad calls and Spygate and Deflategate and even will agree with them at times because it makes the whole conversation a lot easier to get through.

Lastly, I might have been sucking up to a mod. Who's to say?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Anyone here using an iPhone XR?

Work is handing out new phones next month and this is the handset - we are allowed to pay for an upgrade to XS - rumored to be a $300 charge but not confirmed.

I'm not a phone snob in the least but my work phone becomes my everything phone, and if the XR is anything like the "cheap" iPhones of old I'm not interested.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Not offended in the least. I imagine it's the same euphoria I felt last night when your Oilers lost to the up and coming Canucks. It was extra sweet because it was my team, but I would have been happy had it been the Panthers for goodness sake. An Oilers loss is a win for everyone outside of Edmonton.

Also it should be noted that I agree with you. The Pats have been beneficiaries of a call or two over the last 15 years, not the least of which was the call in that game you referenced.
Regarding the Oilers, I'm actually rooting for them... partially out of pity, but I do want to see McDavid and co. make it to the postseason again... and as of now, they've squeaked into a WC spot.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Anyone here using an iPhone XR?

Work is handing out new phones next month and this is the handset - we are allowed to pay for an upgrade to XS - rumored to be a $300 charge but not confirmed.

I'm not a phone snob in the least but my work phone becomes my everything phone, and if the XR is anything like the "cheap" iPhones of old I'm not interested.
You mean the 5S or whatever? Plastic rubbish? So your concern is about build over speed?
My 6S is annoying me, battery wise. Even after a new battery. Sure it’s not meant to be this poor.

So the XR seems to be more about tech than build
quality and may even have a longer batt life. But I’ve not used them.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:04 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I guess I'm not taking a taxi to ICN today (or tomorrow depending which side of the dateline you are on).

Taxi drivers to stage protest in Seoul December 20; plan alternative mode of transportation

Airport 'limousine' bus here I come...
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
I guess I'm not taking a taxi to ICN today (or tomorrow depending which side of the dateline you are on).

Taxi drivers to stage protest in Seoul December 20; plan alternative mode of transportation

Is the train not good enough? I've never taken anything but the train from ICN.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by D404
I'm way down South in Dongtan and the bus ain't much slower and avoids changing trains.

It will be new experience for me. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
24left likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
I'm way down South in Dongtan and the bus ain't much slower and avoids changing trains.

Ah... Well, variety is the spice of life, right?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:27 am

Ah... Well, variety is the spice of life, right?
True.

And that which doesn't kill you often makes for a good story.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: TK *G

“limousine” simply means it’s longer. A longer car is called limousine, a longer bus is called limousine bus
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Thanks @yyznomad!

Actually very comfortable and definitely required.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jc94

You mean the 5S or whatever? Plastic rubbish? So your concern is about build over speed?
My 6S is annoying me, battery wise. Even after a new battery. Sure it’s not meant to be this poor.

So the XR seems to be more about tech than build
quality and may even have a longer batt life. But I’ve not used them.
The 6S is annoying me too. Got really slow after a series of 'updates' even with a new battery. Its still better than the 7 which my family member has managed to break the screen 3 times already. Very delicate.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

This FOTSG has taken the limo bus from ICN to the Westin Chosun round trip a dozen times. It's clean, comfortable, and relatively fast, even during rush hour. Never had to wait too long to board one at ICN.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by jc94
Thanks @yyznomad!

Actually very comfortable and definitely required.
Is this taken on an AC flight?

i just found out I have one pair left from TPAC J. If anyone wants it I can bring it to the DO on the 22nd. If I look around more I may even magically find more from AC, TK J, CA J, NH J/F. Ok I think I should just stop the bad habit of collecting things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.