Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Someone flew as me on the same flight today!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

On a flight today. Myself and OH only 2 in J. We moved from 1AC to row 2 after boarding. Surprised to then see someone else board and sit in 1A (my BP seat). FA looked puzzled, checked mine and his BP but nothing happened. During taxi, in-charge asked to see his BP again. My wife then noticed his BP had my name and all info on it, though with two luggage tags as well. Lots of conversation ensued....
So, this other pax was actually on another flight completely (10 mins later and with his GF). At check-in he was told he was now on a different flight (mine) and given a reissued copy of my BP with bags checked under my name. His ID had a different name (possibly the same last name) and we look very different, yet he was able get a BP, board, and fly internationally despite not being on the flight at all!
The captain was aware and called CBSA and others as it seemed the other PAX PP info was now attached to the booking.
Still, far from thrilled that someone was able to (inadvertently) get my BP and board and fly a flight they were not booked on or meant to be on!
I am following uo....
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
On a flight today. Myself and OH only 2 in J. We moved from 1AC to row 2 after boarding. Surprised to then see someone else board and sit in 1A (my BP seat). FA looked puzzled, checked mine and his BP but nothing happened. During taxi, in-charge asked to see his BP again. My wife then noticed his BP had my name and all info on it, though with two luggage tags as well. Lots of conversation ensued....
So, this other pax was actually on another flight completely (10 mins later and with his GF). At check-in he was told he was now on a different flight (mine) and given a reissued copy of my BP with bags checked under my name. His ID had a different name (possibly the same last name) and we look very different, yet he was able get a BP, board, and fly internationally despite not being on the flight at all!
The captain was aware and called CBSA and others as it seemed the other PAX PP info was now attached to the booking.
Still, far from thrilled that someone was able to (inadvertently) get my BP and board and fly a flight they were not booked on or meant to be on!
I am following uo....
Nice.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Very weird. Could you provide more details? Route/flight/outcome.
--
13F
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat13F_AC_CRJ
Very weird. Could you provide more details? Route/flight/outcome.
--
13F
CUN-YYZ. I am no fan of AC in CUN. Outcome was we both flew to YYZ. I have written to AC.

I have both mine and "his" BP.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Weird that they could check in as you once you had already checked in. I remember once at LH check in, they tried to check me in to a different destination under someone's else reservation (same last name which is common). Had BPs printed and everything...
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xray
Weird that they could check in as you once you had already checked in. I remember once at LH check in, they tried to check me in to a different destination under someone's else reservation (same last name which is common). Had BPs printed and everything...
Yes, and I am aware I am speculating a little, but from what I learned somehow they pulled up my reservation at check-in and I guess simply reprinted his BP while adding luggage etc. I had done a SDC to the flight which may have complicated it a little, but not enough for the outcome. Certainly his and mine BP are identical bar one symbol in the "for airline use" section.... I am pretty sure they never actually checked him in.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Security breach of significance. This should be brought to the . attention of Canada Border Security Agency. IMO Air Canada will bury this event, but CBSA will undertake an investigation and will demand corrective action.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
wow you could have insisted they turn around and off-load all of youse just like ANA today

Last edited by Lomapaseo; Dec 27, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:14 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Looks like AC's contractor in CUN is hiring top-notch staff.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
WOW this is insane!!!

Thank you for sharing

Let's just blame rogue :P
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:38 pm

At least they didn't turn your flight around back to origin ...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ere/983386001/
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:29 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Security breach of significance. This should be brought to the . attention of Canada Border Security Agency. IMO Air Canada will bury this event, but CBSA will undertake an investigation and will demand corrective action.
What risk was there? Was the pax not screened? Was there any intent on the part of the pax? No on both: risk profile doesn't change in the slightest. It's an airline cockup, pure and simple. Over reaction and paranoia over security do more harm to actual security than good. (Look at the US for an example of the incredibly porous security they have due to their paranoia and inability to focus on actual (such as they are) threats.)
rickg523 and mfkne like this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OTOH I cannot see how the poor fellow is ever going to be able to get his Aeroplan miles credited...
gcashin, smallmj and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
What risk was there? Was the pax not screened? Was there any intent on the part of the pax? No on both: risk profile doesn't change in the slightest. It's an airline cockup, pure and simple. Over reaction and paranoia over security do more harm to actual security than good. (Look at the US for an example of the incredibly porous security they have due to their paranoia and inability to focus on actual (such as they are) threats.)
It's not a flight security risk (CASTA), it's a national security / immigration risk (CBSA). Canada screens the names of inbound pax, and can (and does) ban people from boarding flights who it doesn't want on Canadian soil. This type of issue skirts that screening, and iCBSA will be very unhappy about it.
Seat13F_AC_CRJ and gcashin like this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Stranger
OTOH I cannot see how the poor fellow is ever going to be able to get his Aeroplan miles credited...
But can OP get 2x?
RangerNS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.