Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Argonaut1000
Click here to go to a picture of the White Compensation Form and its stub

View Deflated Seat History Here (Database for submitted occurrences)
Enter New Deflated Seat Occurrence Here (Submit one if you have experienced deflated seat and it will show up in the database above)
----
From post #49 in this thread, here's one potential way to (re)inflate an AC seat:
  • Go the home screen "Your Seat". (find this on the seat side panel; not the main video screen)
    • Hold the top left hand corner "Air Canada" (with AC logo) for 3 seconds. Updated (Apr 9 18): may need to hold for as long as 45 seconds for key pad to appear
      • Dial pad shows up - hit 3-2-1.
        • Press "Reset Lumbar Support"
Note that this method has not met 100% success so YMMV.
A better method is for a crew member to use the reset switch under the seat, on the aisle side.

Compensation offers (green/white sheet completed)
40K AE- Apr 18 (50% back of the J class one way redemption)
2018 Jun - $500 coupon
2018 Sep $1,000 eCoupon or 40K AP (P fare TPAC)
2018 Sep $500 eCoupon (P fare TPAC) (no change on protest- update - 6 months later the $150 was increased to $500 - admitted they had made an error)

Compensation offers (no green/white sheet completed)
100K - May 5 (C$150 eCoupon; was moved to a functioning seat after meal service)
2017 Sept - 8,000 AE miles - reported via complaint web page after realizing it was a faulty seat, not standard discomfort; Asked for return of eUps but they declined.
2017 Nov & 2018 Feb - $500 coupons both times (second time on protest that $500 had been offered the previous time)
2018 Sep. $250 coupon (on a paid J TATL).
2018 Nov - $500 eCoupon (J TATL)

Standard eCoupon compensation offers (no haggling; following a recurring pattern)
~10+ hours: $1000
Long TPAC (TPE-YVR)

~6 to ~10 hours: $500
Short TPAC (NRT-YVR)
TATL
South America: YYZ-GRU

less than ~6 hours: 300
TCON

Have a Service Director (SD) That Is Giving You the Case of the Shrugs? Like the real life version of this ASCII emoji -> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

No success with the SD and/or crew rectifying your deflated seat and you can't be/aren't accommodated to another J seat? If you asked for a compensation form and the SD says they have no idea what you are talking about, you can use the below picture of the stub portion to help freshen their memory (better than nothing)...

Please note that for the longest time, the "Green Compensation Form" version was used, and there have been recent reports of the "White Compensation Form" replacing the Green version. Reports here have indicated that the two forms are virtually identical except for the colour.
There is now an even newer White Form which explicitly lists "deflated seat" and "deflated seat and fixed", among many other items.

Here is a snapshot of the NEWEST full form (as of August 2019), courtesy of lallied

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31421855-post2093.html
Originally Posted by lallied
Clearly jinxed myself. New form in case hasnt been posted before.

Oops, see it has been. I just didn’t look far enough down ☹️

This is only the stub portion, courtesy of lallied

Originally Posted by lallied

There’s a main section which the SD fills in and detachable section you get to keep. Each has a reference number. It looks like the green one to me except it’s white.

Example

Mattress pads purchased and listed in this thread

Print Wikipost

Deflategate; new executive pods deflating in-flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think there was an earlier example of it

Though a different box was checked, so better to have the actual deflated box checked in the wiki.
Ugh, fine. Care to point me to the post?

(nevermind, you're saying just to leave it)
Old Sep 19, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Currently, my butt is parked in 1G on AC123... seat deflated with an hour left into the flight... I did the 3-2-1 trick a couple times to no avail... SD then did a reset and it re-inflated after that.
Plumber likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by yyznomad
... I did the 3-2-1 trick a couple times to no avail..
Did you get off the seat while it was trying to re-inflate (ie stand up)? I have been told several times to get off the seat and give it 10 minuteness or so.

I had a TPAC flight last week where my seat was quite deflated (but not completely flat). I did the reset and it stayed inflated for the rest of the flight. Other than that, no issues on my last few flights.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plumber
Did you get off the seat while it was trying to re-inflate (ie stand up)? I have been told several times to get off the seat and give it 10 minuteness or so.

I had a TPAC flight last week where my seat was quite deflated (but not completely flat). I did the reset and it stayed inflated for the rest of the flight. Other than that, no issues on my last few flights.
Yep, but only did so after the SD did a reset... so not after I did the 3-2-1. Stood and walked around while it reinflated.
Plumber likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Flying HND-YYZ I had a new one, at least for me. Seat bottom was inflated, lumbar was inflated, headrest was inflated ... middle of my back was partially deflated and it got slowly worse through the flight. I've had the seat back or bottom deflate before and it was obvious that they are separate I've never had only part of the back deflate. Wasn't sure if others had experienced this, admittedly I have not read all of the posts in this thread.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
Flying HND-YYZ I had a new one, at least for me. Seat bottom was inflated, lumbar was inflated, headrest was inflated ... middle of my back was partially deflated and it got slowly worse through the flight. I've had the seat back or bottom deflate before and it was obvious that they are separate I've never had only part of the back deflate. Wasn't sure if others had experienced this, admittedly I have not read all of the posts in this thread.
I've had each of the 4 sections deflate. Some are much harder to notice than others without really testing it, which is why I always do all 4 on boarding.

I should really write a manual for this.
RatherBeInYOW and flyquiet like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Sunday Sept 22, AC 117, 4D

Deflated seat section and a near screaming match with SD to get form as I neared the end of a flight that had historically terrible service.

I have written a scathing email and told them to keep their $300. They need to come at me with something far superior to that to shut me up.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:46 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope

Deflated seat section and a near screaming match with SD to get form as I neared the end of a flight that had historically terrible service.

I have written a scathing email and told them to keep their $300. They need to come at me with something far superior to that to shut me up.
@WaytoomuchEurope - Your experience sounds awful. I was also flying from YYZ to YVR on Sunday, but on AC 103. I observed something interesting on that flight.

The guy in 5A clearly had a deflated seat early in the flight. So the SD and one of the FAs attacked the seat in the usual ways.

The thing I found really interesting was, as they were doing so, they were referring to an iPad (or some other tablet) which actually seemed to have some kind of seat reset procedure, including photographs of where the magic reset switch is underneath and the roundel-based reset. I didn't ask them about the tablet since they were busy working the problem.

If I'm right, this sounds like the process has become pretty much codified. I would hope that the comp process would be as well.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Sep 23, 2019 at 8:08 pm Reason: s p a c i n g
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
........The thing I found really interesting was, as they were doing so, they were referring to an iPad (or some other tablet) which actually seemed to have some kind of seat reset procedure, including photographs of where the magic reset switch is and the roundel-based reset. I didn't ask them about the tablet since they were busy working the problem. I

If I'm right, this sounds like the process has become pretty much codified.......

Interesting observation.

Upthread, someone posted how photos of the inflatables have been circulating around AC.

A few here know about a letter I wrote to a VP at AC back in May. I never posted about it but another poster did drop a hint about the experience. I never received a reply from the AC person I sent it to, not even an auto-reply acknowledgement. A while later, I mentioned it to another manager at AC. And I've told others.

In my letter, I explained to the VP about the deflated seat on the TPAC long-haul, and that there was another SE MM seated nearby who had the same - and he was not amused. I wrote that the SD had called maintenance prior to departure, they boarded and did under seat resets. Nonetheless, that lasted us a few hours and then the SD was either on her hands and knees under our seats trying to reset, or we were playing with the 3-2-1 on the panel. Sure we received the form, but it did not solve the problem.

The SD did the best she could prior to departure and while we were over the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Where things really went to H--- was boarding my connecting AC transcon, only to find another deflated seat. I told the young SD, and I asked her to call maintenance. As we were in YVR and as there was still another 30 minutes or more to board the back of the big bird, there was time.

She refused. She did not understand what was wrong with the seat. She tried pressing the firmer/softer selection on the side panel. I told her she was not going to make a difference. I said maintenance can try to reset or even replace the bladder in under 10 minutes. She just looked at me, with that "I don't know" look and walked away.

There were no empty seats in J to move to. No non-revs to be tossed out of their seats.

I was really angry and not so much because THAT seat was deflated, or because the TPAC seat was deflated just prior to that, but because she did NOTHING and I was now stuck with this SECOND craptastic experience, now totalling the better part of 20 hours. In one single day.

Later in the fight she came by and I explained what she did wrong and she then told me that she came from narrow body aircraft and is new to these wide bodies and seats. She then said she was not told about the deflating seats nor was she trained on what to do.

I told her that is not the customer's fault and that she made things worse by not even making an effort. I also asked her for the form which she never gave me.

Thus, I wrote to the VP and I was clear that I did not need the compensation, but no way am I going to accept cluelessness and poor training compounding the fact that AC has chosen not to replace these idiotic seats.

In my letter I included links to a wide range of AC FT posts, some of which had photos of those beautiful and colourful Air Canada Camping mattress pads.

I suspect I was not worthy of a reply from AC - either because I am not Senior VP of Mega Big Corp - and/or because by replying, AC might think they are admitting liability on this issue.

But now we have cabin crew with iPads, and photos and instructions.

How interesting.

On a personal note, I am one of many who chose to fly AC and in J on the long trips, and I accept my responsibility for feeding the denial at AC and the lack of communication, especially with those of us they often "thank for our loyalty". I also know that some here may find it enjoyable reading about my experience on this particular trip along with the lack of a reply from my letter to AC. That's fine. I don't mind.

vernonc, fin 645, Chowtime and 4 others like this.

Last edited by 24left; Sep 24, 2019 at 6:39 am
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope

WaytoomuchEurope

Wrong date or flight?

AC117 is listed as a 321 Registration C-FLKX for Sunday, September 22, 2019 on both Flightradar24 and FlightAware
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yyznomad
WaytoomuchEurope

Wrong date or flight?

AC117 is listed as a 321 Registration C-FLKX for Sunday, September 22, 2019 on both Flightradar24 and FlightAware
Both? First off I flew on Saturday the 21st. Flight left at 1900 and it was a 788.

Just more evidence for the community that I am an idiot.

They were training a cabin crew and the SD was a rookie. I could go on for 20 minutes about how bad the service was.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I remember posting here in May about my deflation on YYZ-CDG and I remarked that at least they’d be fixed by the time I flew SFO-YYZ home for Christmas. It seemed reasonable at the time. Fingers crossed.

One of the repeated trends here is that the SD will claim they’ve either never heard of this issue or never encountered it. If they operate flights on the 777 or 787 even occasionally that’s almost impossible; I have to wonder if they’ve been instructed to say that.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
Yesterday LHR-YUL. Seat section deflated 6X over the flight. Each time the 321 reset worked. SD was aware this was a recurrent problem and quite pleasant about it. After letting him know I just did the reset’s myself each time. Didn’t ask for compensation.

I have perfected the in-seat hover to allow reflation when you need to reset with the seatbelt light on. Good quad workout.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by YULforever
Yesterday LHR-YUL. Seat section deflated 6X over the flight. Each time the 321 reset worked. SD was aware this was a recurrent problem and quite pleasant about it. After letting him know I just did the reset’s myself each time. Didn’t ask for compensation.

I have perfected the in-seat hover to allow reflation when you need to reset with the seatbelt light on. Good quad workout.
Perhaps they could work it into a video game type of thing that you can play while sitting in the seat for 7 to 14 hours, and the person with the most points each month gets a free flight or perhaps a super duper mattress. Or maybe it could be a new badge / wing for EYW2019?
flyquiet likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AC75K, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 24left
Interesting observation.

A few here know about a letter I wrote to a VP at AC back in May. I never posted about it but another poster did drop a hint about the experience. I never received a reply from the AC person I sent it to, not even an auto-reply acknowledgement. A while later, I mentioned it to another manager at AC. And I've told others.

Well, you just made a case for me not bothering to push for SE100K this year. I've reached out to AC executives too -- on LinkedIn, Twitter, etc... -- and have been soundly ignored. I thought I might have been because I am less than the highest status tier. Turns out, AC is an equal opportunity ignorer.

The way they have handled this as a company demonstrates active contempt for their customers at the executive level. (I've generally had very good experiences with on-board SDs, who are left in the regrettable position of having to deal with it.) Make no mistake, this is a top down customer service problem.

A.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.