Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for Earning 20k AQMs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2017, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Plumber
This TPE in PY route sounds interesting- with my 100% altitude bonus and the 3X aeroplan miles... However, I am having a hard time making the AC website price this for me- is see the each-way pricing of ~$850-$900 in N class, and after I select these, I get an error...

"There appears to be an issue with the flights you've selected. This prevents us from completing your transaction online. Please call us:
In Canada or the U.S.: 1-855-831-1437
Other countries Opens in a new window
Please take note of and provide the Call Center agent with the following information:
Flight(s): undefined
Booking class(es): undefined"

There seems top be an issue with the PE Domestic portion booking into N- ie YYZ-YVR and YVR-YYZ....

It did work one time, but put me in B on all the Domestic flights, even though they have a PE cabin.

Just threw out some random dates

Attached Images   
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:04 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Come to Tokyo and Sydney with me!
Is this an OPM trip or yet another weekend in your EYW quest?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 3:10 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jasdou
Sounds like fun! I'm also sitting on about 80,000 AQM and very close to 20,000 AQD. Doing something stupid is tempting.
I know this is a common attitude, but I think often the "stupid" thing is not to do the mileage run.

The C/B analysis may have changed since I stopped flying, but I once did a 45,000+ mileage run (over 3 consecutive weekends) to keep SE status. I paid almost exactly CAD $800 for each of the 3 tickets, all travel was in F (including some in sleepers), and generally had a pleasant time. I'd estimate I spent another CAD $600 in hotels and pre-positioning costs (i.e. driving to SEA, parking, etc) for a total of about CAD $3000. And of course I spent 3 weekends / 6 days.

But financially speaking, the first time I upgraded YVR-SYD from a CAD $1400 return fare to a J sleeper I was "money" ahead.

And that doesn't begin to consider the benefits of the SE phone line (no waits, ever), concierge service, IKK (even as it was at the time), and all the other subtle intangibles (like my 11A seat on SYD-YVR always being available, even if someone was already sitting in it.)

I suppose the SE benefits might have been so watered down over the past 5 years that the decision is more complicated. But the benefits of being SE100K (primarily not being E75K) are so valuable to a non-J truly frequent, long-haul flyer, that it seems to me to still be an easy decision.

tl;dr The "stupid" thing would be not going.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Is this an OPM trip or yet another weekend in your EYW quest?
Neither

It was a $650 J mistake fare.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Neither

R/T or O/W?
Old Nov 3, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by KenHamer
I know this is a common attitude, but I think often the "stupid" thing is not to do the mileage run.

The C/B analysis may have changed since I stopped flying, but I once did a 45,000+ mileage run (over 3 consecutive weekends) to keep SE status. I paid almost exactly CAD $800 for each of the 3 tickets, all travel was in F (including some in sleepers), and generally had a pleasant time. I'd estimate I spent another CAD $600 in hotels and pre-positioning costs (i.e. driving to SEA, parking, etc) for a total of about CAD $3000. And of course I spent 3 weekends / 6 days.

But financially speaking, the first time I upgraded YVR-SYD from a CAD $1400 return fare to a J sleeper I was "money" ahead.

And that doesn't begin to consider the benefits of the SE phone line (no waits, ever), concierge service, IKK (even as it was at the time), and all the other subtle intangibles (like my 11A seat on SYD-YVR always being available, even if someone was already sitting in it.)

I suppose the SE benefits might have been so watered down over the past 5 years that the decision is more complicated. But the benefits of being SE100K (primarily not being E75K) are so valuable to a non-J truly frequent, long-haul flyer, that it seems to me to still be an easy decision.

tl;dr The "stupid" thing would be not going.
I understand all that and would seriously consider doing the TPE roundtrip but the thing is, at 80,000 AQM, my flying probably has peaked for now. My professional responsibilities have shifted in the last few months and will probably now qualify based on segments instead of miles. So, a lot more of 1-3h TB flights instead of several TATL + a couple TPAC flights per year.

So I feel the value is partially lost here. As an E75K, I will be able to eUp on those TB flights, something which was not accessible on TATL/TPAC flights. Yeah, I won't have access to the concierge or to the SE line but I've never had access to those so I don't know what I'm missing, if that makes sense. IKK seems nice but I already booked my RTW for next Spring and, since I won't be accumulating as many miles as before, the value of that benefit decreases.

Oh yeah, I also have a wife and daughter that think I'm already travelling too much so spending a weekend away from home, for no obvious benefit to them, might be frowned upon!

But again, each flyer is unique and has a different set of motivations and constraints... But damn I wouldn't mind hoping on a plane for a same day turn in TPE, if only to get that black luggage tag next year LOL!
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
R/T or O/W?
Round trip to SYD with a stopover in TYO.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by 24left
Just threw out some random dates

Hhhmmm . Thanks 24L

Could be cause I am starting and ending in YOW, or could be my browser? I will keep trying. I have a few 25% off codes that could make it very interesting with the 3X bonus. Need to book by Nov 11.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Round trip to SYD with a stopover in TYO.
Holy 🐄
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Hhhmmm . Thanks 24L

Could be cause I am starting and ending in YOW, or could be my browser? I will keep trying. I have a few 25% off codes that could make it very interesting with the 3X bonus. Need to book by Nov 11.
I've tested with YOW and that seems to be the trigger for higher fares. I tested YOW-TPE on different dates in PE. The TPE flight leaves at 11:50, early in the Asian flight departures. AC has at least 2 flights from YOW that would get you to YVR in time for the TPE but the price is higher than a YYZ departure.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by KenHamer
...I paid almost exactly CAD $800 for each of the 3 tickets, all travel was in F...
Well, if I could find 3 long-hauls in J for C$2,400, that'd certainly make this a no-brainer...

Neither

Argh. Angry that I missed that.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:41 pm
Suspended

This TPE in PY route sounds interesting- with my 100% altitude bonus and the 3X aeroplan miles... However, I am having a hard time making the AC website price this for me- is see the each-way pricing of ~$850-$900 in N class, and after I select these, I get an error...

"There appears to be an issue with the flights you've selected. This prevents us from completing your transaction online. Please call us:
Please take note of and provide the Call Center agent with the following information:

There seems top be an issue with the PE Domestic portion booking into N- ie YYZ-YVR and YVR-YYZ....

It did work one time, but put me in B on all the Domestic flights, even though they have a PE cabin.
So, I have one of these booked for March. B can be good as you can UG for 2 credits each way into J, but this will on a narrow body with no PE. But you may prefer this. If you want to get PY and its giving this error then use multi-city. On my trip I have a stopover in Vancouver, so booked B to YVR and will UG. On the return I booked PY from YVR-YYZ as I figure that PY is pretty much the same as narrow body J, or I can UG on the 787 if I wish to J for 8 credits and get a flat bed to sleep on the final segment.

Anyway, play with multicity. PM if it doesnt work and I will share what I booked and how I did it. I got the same error as you initially.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE

Hhhmmm . Thanks 24L

I've booked a couple of those out of YQB and had to phone in each time since it would not complete online. It seems to be an issue for the TPE route only since I don't have any issues booking other destinations in Asia.

No problem booking it on the phone, although you may have to insist that is it offered online for several dates and the agent usually reaches out to the Help desk and voilą. You can also apply your discount code with the agent on the phone. Have done that as well.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Diamond, VIA Premier, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
So, I have one of these booked for March. B can be good as you can UG for 2 credits each way into J, but this will on a narrow body with no PE. But you may prefer this. If you want to get PY and its giving this error then use multi-city. On my trip I have a stopover in Vancouver, so booked B to YVR and will UG. On the return I booked PY from YVR-YYZ as I figure that PY is pretty much the same as narrow body J, or I can UG on the 787 if I wish to J for 8 credits and get a flat bed to sleep on the final segment.

Anyway, play with multicity. PM if it doesnt work and I will share what I booked and how I did it. I got the same error as you initially.
I agree. A multi-city with a stopover in YVR solves the booking issue for TPE. But if a stopover is not an option, then calling in works.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K
Came across YYZ-IST/ATH on MS in Z for ~US$1.8k (and made my first MR forum contribution).

MS Z earns 125% so should yield 16.3k miles, but the product doesn't look appealing at all. Coupled with the need for repositioning and no one to go with, I've decided to pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.