Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Since when do the Q400s have a J cabin? How could you possibly be "downgraded"? Moved from a preferred seat to a non-preferred yes, but that preferred seat cost you exactly 0 eUps. I must be missing something here...

Edit: I get it. The equipment was down gauged. I think our collective sympathy is probably worth more than anything AC will give you.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by ridefar
Since when do the Q400s have a J cabin? How could you possibly be "downgraded"? Moved from a preferred seat to a non-preferred yes, but that preferred seat cost you exactly 0 eUps. I must be missing something here...
At first I though Cow was joking about an IT glitch, but someone posted EF showing the swap.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
The CRA was downgauged to a Q400.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The CRA was downgauged to a Q400.
Like you had to clarify that.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
First Cow Problems.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Like you had to clarify that.
Apparently I did

Anyway, I'm going to draft a letter.

There were too many touch points where they could have fixed this.

1. They called 1A, why didn't they call me?
2. Downgrade of a checked in SE, why wasn't the concierge automatic alerted?
3. When the MLL agent scanned my boarding pass, why was there no error.
4. When the GA scanned my boarding pass, why was there no error?

1/2 could have happened hours in advance and let me avoid buying a crappy wrap in BOS.

3 is likely impossible given there was no error at step 4, but it also would have allowed me to get a nice Timmies sandwich, or eat a hot meal at a restaurant, or even load up on muffins and chips in the MLL.

4 could have been done with "Oh sorry sir but there was a downgauge and there's no business class. You have about 15 minutes if you want to run and grab anything."

I'm not overly upset over having to replace the J offerings at an out of pocket cost of $10. I'm upset because I could have had better food with less stress had they bothered to tell me AT ALL.

Wherever. I'm almost done building a system that will fix a lot of these issues. Another FTer is helping me beta test it. But this was not an intended purpose, so I'll need to make some slight tweaks.

Last edited by canadiancow; Oct 22, 2017 at 3:22 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:19 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
A snag is a problem. As in, we have hit a snag, the wheels fallen off the aircraft.

Though when I first read it I wa thinking Situation Normal Awful G... then couldn't think of anything suitable.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Apparently I did

1/2 could have happened hours in advance and let me avoid buying a crappy wrap in BOS.

3 is likely impossible given there was no error at step 4, but it also would have allowed me to get a nice Timmies sandwich, or eat a hot meal at a restaurant, or even load up on muffins and chips in the MLL.

4 could have been done with "Oh sorry sir but there was a downgauge and there's no business class. You have about 15 minutes if you want to run and grab anything."

I'm not overly upset over having to replace the J offerings at an out of pocket cost of $10. I'm upset because I could have had better food with less stress had they bothered to tell me AT ALL.

Wherever. I'm almost done building a system that will fix a lot of these issues. Another FTer is helping me beta test it. But this was not an intended purpose, so I'll need to make some slight tweaks.
I think I need to hire you to be my personal complainer. I think it would be well worth it.
CanRulez and gcashin like this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I think I need to hire you to be my personal complainer. I think it would be well worth it.
There are lots of folks here who complain better than Cow, though some of them post once - never to return.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smallmj
There are lots of folks here who complain better than Cow, though some of them post once - never to return.
I need a complainer that understands the rules like cow; not some FOTSG complainer that yaps on about being IDB'd because of their T-1 hour check-in on a Tango fare without paying for advanced seat selection.
CanRulez likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Didn't you get the Hershey's Mix on the Q?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Didn't you get the Hershey's Mix on the Q?
It wasn't a "select flight over 1:30".

Block time was 1:33
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: AC 25k
Originally Posted by canopus27
I know AOG is "aircraft on ground" (presumably, "broken").

I'm not sure what it means that the engine starter is SNAG ... the best the internet can suggest is "Sensitive New Age Guy", by which I assume they are referring to cow
A snag is a defect that takes the aircraft out of service until maintenance either fixes the problem or checks the issue and places it back in service (ex: flaps/gear overspeed).
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
Apparently I did

Good luck with all that. My only comparable experience was when my wife (E50K at the time) was downgraded on a YYT-YYZ flight. She had a J boarding pass (Latitude flight pass, 2 day upgrade) which was replaced at the gate with a middle-seat in the last row Y boarding pass. No equipment change, no pilot in first, no food by the time they got to her - but no compensation due. Filled in the form, wrote a physical letter, wrote another one to Calin when their response showed they obviously hadn't read the first one. Nothing ever came of it, she's still a little peeved. Hope you have better success!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tax Dude
Good luck with all that. My only comparable experience was when my wife (E50K at the time) was downgraded on a YYT-YYZ flight. She had a J boarding pass (Latitude flight pass, 2 day upgrade) which was replaced at the gate with a middle-seat in the last row Y boarding pass. No equipment change, no pilot in first, no food by the time they got to her - but no compensation due. Filled in the form, wrote a physical letter, wrote another one to Calin when their response showed they obviously hadn't read the first one. Nothing ever came of it, she's still a little peeved. Hope you have better success!
I've changed my mind from the thread title.

I don't want compensation for the downgrade.

I want acknowledgement that their processes suck.

Downgrading for legitimate reasons (and this was definitely legitimate, though controllable) is fine.

But I literally was on the plane before I knew I was downgraded.

That's my issue.

As for your wife, I'm a bit surprised. More because in DCS, a Latitude FP upgrade appears as full J, and an E50K in full J would be pretty low down the "entitled to J" list.

I would have pushed for an explanation. Though half the explanations I get have the condition of "don't share this", so...

From customer relations' perspective, an upgrade is an upgrade is an upgrade. They once told me that meal priority was not guaranteed on an upgrade. Back when SFO-YVR was rouge, I had a flight where it did not appear meal priority has been followed. I had upgraded my B fare about 4 months out.

If I write in about (and this is from memory, so forgive me if the phrasing is incorrect) "executive reseat to economy", they're going to say BLAH BLAH UPGRADE BLAH BLAH.

And while the downgrade is the root of the issue, it's not the issue I have.

I successfully boarded a flight with a J BP expecting a J seat, and I was seated in Y. This should not be possible. And yeah, it should especially not be possible for a Super Elite. What benefits in IRROPS an I supposed to receive again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.