Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Do Star Golds get free seat assignments on AC (or anything beyond lounge access?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do Star Golds get free seat assignments on AC (or anything beyond lounge access?)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by iahphx
Thanks. I used an online travel agency (Expedia) and did put in my ff number, but it doesn't seem to be in AC's system.

And I see AC has a bifurcated system where you can get seat assignments (if you pay for them) for bookings booked through OTAs, but you can't otherwise gain access to your reservation (to do things like add your ff number).

I find it incredibly annoying for partner airlines not to give out seat assignments to Star Golds. Frankly, it's nuts - but doesn't seem to be uncommon. I kind of want to complain to somebody about this, but who would that be? The Star Alliance HQ? I assume they have exactly zero pull with their member airlines.

I assume the vast majority of AC customers don't pay and that seats are readily available at 24 hours?

It's funny because, in the USA, Southwest doesn't give out free boarding slots (no actual seat assignments for anyone) until 24 hours in advance, and the competition can be fierce when the clock ticks over. But when I've had to do this for non US carriers, there's usually no competition at 24 hours. I guess it's just a product of how frequently folks travel: Southwest obviously has customers who fly all the time (and have self-taught themselves how to game the system), but the int'l airlines have more occasional flyers who are more clueless.
I spend a lot of time in Canada, and I don't see this as Canadian at all. Other Star airlines do it, too. It's just bad policy. Lots of companies make bad decisions. This is one of them.
You are right that IMHO this is one (of several) shortcomings of Star Alliance. I agree that Star Golds should get free seat access across the system - but the carriers prefer to see that as a revenue opportunity.

Yes plenty of "decent" are usually available at T-24 when OLCI opens.

Originally Posted by garykung
..you are, at the same time, so cheap as to buying a $200 ticket and nickel-and-dime for the price for the seat assignment.
Nice comment. Buying a $200 ticket isn't "cheap" - it's smart.
corbetti likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Lev
I'll agree with that, but it's not the same thing as being a good customer.
The Lev likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Obviously, the alliance members need to get together and revisit the perks to include this very modest (but important) benefit. The problem is that the alliances are very weak now, so I'm sure nobody is in any rush to improve the benefits.
Not sure what the rationale would be to let Star Alliance gold to pick seats for free if they don't even let their own FFs, even higher status than gold have that benefit.

BTW it's not just AC. LH does the same. BA I believe don't even allow advance seats assignments in business class.

Yes, this negative fare differentiation stinks. But when people use search engine for lowest fares and buy for even $0.50 difference, it's unavoidable. I don't think AC was an early adapter, but they joined the game with gusto eventually.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 5:29 pm

Star Alliance for the most part is an alliance of convenience. Outwardly, they don't treat each other really as alliance partners. They selectively open up award seats based on convenience and who they're not pissed at, they blame each other when things go sideways instead of looking after the customer... It's really only a marketing gimmick.

A lot of airlines are moving towards JVs...at least until those become inconvenient.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Star Alliance for the most part is an alliance of convenience. Outwardly, they don't treat each other really as alliance partners. They selectively open up award seats based on convenience and who they're
Right, which is why I'll be surprised if this illogical annoyance is corrected.

BTW, AC does give free seats assignments to families travelling with children under 12 (for the entire family). This makes sense to me. Giving seat assignments to Star Golds also makes sense, though.

At the end of the day, though, AC gets no more money from me, and I'd presume the vast majority of other Star Golds are sophisticated enough to also "game" the annoying 24-hour check-in. In my case, it would cost me $50 per person to preselect my coach seats, and that's just plain stupid. I'll set an alarm, and try to be somewhere where there's wifi to check in at the 24-hour mark. It's a lose-lose: I'm annoyed, AC gets no more money, and I'm less inclined to travel with them in the future. The stated purpose of the Alliance is to make travel a little bit easier, and they utterly fail to do that with this nonsense.
SkyTeem and INFlyer like this.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Right, which is why I'll be surprised if this illogical annoyance is corrected.

BTW, AC does give free seats assignments to families travelling with children under 12 (for the entire family). This makes sense to me. Giving seat assignments to Star Golds also makes sense, though.

At the end of the day, though, AC gets no more money from me, and I'd presume the vast majority of other Star Golds are sophisticated enough to also "game" the annoying 24-hour check-in. In my case, it would cost me $50 per person to preselect my coach seats, and that's just plain stupid. I'll set an alarm, and try to be somewhere where there's wifi to check in at the 24-hour mark. It's a lose-lose: I'm annoyed, AC gets no more money, and I'm less inclined to travel with them in the future. The stated purpose of the Alliance is to make travel a little bit easier, and they utterly fail to do that with this nonsense.
The issue I see is that you think they care that they lose your mistake-fare business.

They don't.

If your fare doesn't include seat selection, they don't care about your business.

Nor should they.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by canadiancow
The issue I see is that you think they care that they lose your mistake-fare business.

They don't.

If your fare doesn't include seat selection, they don't care about your business.

Nor should they.
Sure they do. Why else would Rouge exist?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The way how I construct this comment is exactly based on how OP made his/her comment against AC.

Being smart or not - AC implement seat assignment fees for quite some time. So while I respect OP expressing his/her rant against AC. At the same time, OP has to be responsible for his/her action in choosing AC.

BTW - the video link I post was dated back as early as 2014. So it is not news that AC charges for seat assignment fees.

Last edited by garykung; Aug 28, 2017 at 1:50 am
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
BTW - the video link I post was dated back as early as 2014. So it is not news that AC charges for seat assignment fees.
That would be a reasonable comment if the poster was Canadian. However i'm not sure it is a reasonable expectation for non-Canadians to be up on Air Canada's rule changes just as you are probably not familiar with the changes made by say Copa or SAA over the last few years.

The OP wasn't terribly clear as to where they was flying to, but if it was for transatlantic travel, that change was only made by AC this year.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That would be a reasonable comment if the poster was Canadian. However i'm not sure it is a reasonable expectation for non-Canadians to be up on Air Canada's rule changes just as you are probably not familiar with the changes made by say Copa or SAA over the last few years.

The OP wasn't terribly clear as to where they was flying to, but if it was for transatlantic travel, that change was only made by AC this year.
Right, transatlantic travel.

The WSJ just had a piece last week discussing how AC is a good alternative for Americans wanting to fly transatlantic, because the AC hubs can be pretty convenient.

It didn't mention this seat assignment nonsense. As I said, even non-elites get free US airline seat assignments, and elites generally get premium seat assignments.

As a UA 1K, I can assure you that my willingness to fly AC transatlantic is diminished now that I know about their seat assignment policy. (Just like I booked away from BA biz class last year when I found out that they charge for seat assignments -- I took AA instead). Before, I would have been at least "neutral" to flying AC over the US airlines. Now I will avoid them if I have a good alternative. As others also learn of this policy, I do think there will be a cost to AC for shabbily treating Star Golds. It won't just be folks travelling on the cheapest fares.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I also took advantage of this glitch - and was also surprised (UA 1K) but I understand the logic. I'll just take my chances, first at OLCI, and then at the gate.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
When UA reciprocates, AC fliers will be more sympathetic.

I have no problem with airlines charging for preferred seating. If I don't agree, I book with another airline.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: *$ Green
Considering OP just found out today AC charges for TATL seats on rango fares, and considering it took a mistake fare for him to fly AC, I dont think neither party in this transaction is interested in the other's business.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a UA 1K, I can assure you that my willingness to fly AC transatlantic is diminished now that I know about their seat assignment policy. (Just like I booked away from BA biz class last year when I found out that they charge for seat assignments -- I took AA instead). Before, I would have been at least "neutral" to flying AC over the US airlines. Now I will avoid them if I have a good alternative. As others also learn of this policy, I do think there will be a cost to AC for shabbily treating Star Golds. It won't just be folks travelling on the cheapest fares.
As Air Canada's equivalent of a UA 1K, I frankly feel about the same when flying UA. It's a shame that Star has really lost most of the concept of "Alliance".

On the bright side, at least you get free drinks on AC and they don't charge for seat reservations in J or higher Y fares.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@iahphx and others who bought these fares but didn't know things are "different" with Air Canada...

Yesterday, I posted this info as part of a reply in another thread. My point follows

Originally Posted by 24left
Just pointing out for those who may not post here but have the same question.......

1. No one has an idea when there will be a sale. If and when AC announces a sale, that's when it appears.

2. Some people are constantly looking for what they consider great fares to their preferred destinations, using Google Flights, ITA Matrix, Air Canada's own website, OTAs etc.

3. Then you have things like these on the FT Premium Fares thread. And yes, not all are TO Europe.

(Note Fare Deal threads are always in USD unless otherwise specified)

Posted today just after 8:00 am ET

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...r-p-class.html

Posted today just after 10:00am ET

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...dg-1414-a.html

Posted today before 8:00am ET

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...-business.html

Then, pretty quickly, the bloggers re-post

Amazing: ~$900 Business Class Fares From The US To Europe On Air Canada

AUGUST 27, 2017 BY LUCKY
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ss-class-sale/

Incredible Deal Alert: US Cities to Tel Aviv From $203 Round-Trip on Air Canada

August 27, 2017

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/dea...israel-203-rt/

Here's the thing - not one of the posts in the FT Premium Fares threads that mentioned the deals, nor the posts I read from some of the bloggers who reposted the deal, ever mentioned the costs of seat selection. Perhaps had it been mentioned, then those who are unfamiliar with AC but bought it anyway, would have known in advance.

Either way, AC has a 24 hour cancellation policy, so for anyone who bought a $200 international fare but didn't want to pay for their seat, had the option of cancelling.

And while the WSJ and other travel publications may be praising the virtues of travel with AC - or any other airline - it requires effort on the part of the flier to know exactly what they get for what they buy.

Hope you have a great trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.