Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Tracking the ridiculous inconsistency of AC's OLCI reminder e-mails

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tracking the ridiculous inconsistency of AC's OLCI reminder e-mails

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by After Burner
The reason for the OLCI email anomalies is that periodic (3-4 times weekly) batch extracts are done from the reservations "database" and the extracted files are passed to another system (likely an Intel box) that sends out OLCI emails based on flight dates. The email process only has the data in the potentially out-of-date extract files; it has no access to the online, live "database" (term used loosely). Such data hosted by z/TPF is not accessible from outside - it's a closed system.

There's no mystery here. There's no way AC's IT people don't completely understand its behavior. The results we see are entirely predictable. This is a quick, cheap and low risk implementation but has some obvious limitations.
If architecture is true, it is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard. It is absurd that that extract isn't done daily, or hourly, or streaming to a RO database for the "not critical" systems.

Anyway, checking an alert I got tonight. It, sent from r42.emails.aircanada.com to Google at 18:02:55 -0700; Google would have generated that timestamp. The message itself seems to have been generated at 21:02:51 -0400, according to what AC would have added to the message. So 4 seconds to get out of AC, assuming that Google and Air Canada both have well implemented NTP systems. It seems to have been generated by "nlserver", which I gather is a component of Adobe "Campaign". The scheduled departure is at 12:10 PDT, so just shy of 6 hours "late" if you want to OLCI at T-24. I don't know the inner workings of "Campaign", I suppose its possible it could have "rendered" and sat in a queue that doesn't update SMTP headers for 6 hours before being "sent".

The body of the message indicates it well could be wrong if changes have been made in the last 24 hours, so seems self aware, and maybe indicates daily dumps(?).

something something enterprise service bus
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
The only thing more ridiculous than the inconsistency of AC's OLCI reminder emails would be developing a data base on their inconsistency.

So the answer to the questions are no I wouldn't contribute and I do not think the proposal is worthwhile.
yyznomad likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by RangerNS
If architecture is true, it is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard.
Not even close. This wouldn't even move the needle on a stupidity scale.

Actually this is typical and normal. Banking systems, for example, have hundreds, if not thousands, of processes that work like this.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by flyquiet
I find it deeply unnerving to get an email at T-22 telling me breathlessly that it is time to check in when I already OLCI at T-23:59.
Many times, I have to check, wait, did I check in or is that a false memory?
I don't expect the OLCI reminder on the dot of T-24 - give the self-propelling passengers a change to get a low seq no. but for heaven's sake, send a token to the database that the checked-in people do not need to be prompted to check in.
+1
I've had a few experiences in the last year where I got the prompt after I'd checked in. Initially concerned that my checkin didn't work and whether my pre-check was affected.

Numerous times with no email. Initially worried something was wrong with my ticket because the emails used to be reliable and I found them a useful prompt. This was particularly true when I tried OLCI thru manage my bookings and couldn't. However, that time it was the dreaded SSSS. At one point wondered if my tx was cancelled or disappeared into never never land.

Suggestion: might be good to note whether an AE booking or an AC booking on the spreadsheet. Haven't had enough AE bookings in the last year to get an idea of whether they are affected to the same extent. Others likely have more experience with that.

Trusted FT and stopped worrying about tx cancellation .
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AC SE 100k MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt Gold, Airmiles, AMEX
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That would be ideal. AC reads FT. Maybe it has an impact, maybe it doesn't. Worst case, it's another opportunity to vent frustration at AC on FT.

I fly a lot and I lead a busy life. I'm not a FOTSG eagerly counting down the days, hours and minutes to my next flight. If I'm busy enjoying my weekend vacation or in the midst of a 16-hour work day, dropping what I'm doing to OLCI isn't necessarily top of mind without a prompt from somewhere.

The other problem I have is that ac.com frequently doesn't want me to check in online based on my Aeroplan number, necessitating a PNR, which I may or may not have handy at the time I'm trying to OLCI. The PNR is included in the e-mail.

I try to never rely on AC's crappy IT for anything. But it would be nice to have an OLCI e-mail system that worked and simplified my life.

As for the app, it's not much better. Only flights booked on ac.com show up there, others need to be added manually. Not all ac.com-booked flights show up correctly. Some alerts may come at T-24. Some may not come at all. OLCI also may not work properly through the app, or a paper BP may be required.

Yes, there are other ways to set this up, like adding reminders to one's calendar, but why should one need to bother when other airlines get features like this to work properly and consistently? (UA even lets you auto check-in for a return leg on your outbound, on certain itineraries, and you will just get an e-mail with a BP when check-in opens on the return!) I spend as much, if not more money, on AC than on any other airline. Why should I hold them to a lower standard?

That's a ludicrous statement given how often the poor quality of the OLCI reminders has been criticized or mocked around here. Some have even commented that the OLCI e-mails help them remember to cancel bookings they would have otherwise forgotten about.
Completely agree here, the system is awfully inconsistent and has a lot of room for improvement to make frequent flying much more seamless. I appreciate check-in reminders 100% of the time for things like seat selection and just figuring out logistics while on the move/busy. Why can't all flights just show up in the AC app regardless of whether they are booked online/app or flight pass automatically? United's check in system and app are actually quite helpful/usable even though I don't like to praise that airline often.

It has gotten so bad in the past 6 months I thought I had maybe turned off notifications or had the wrong email on file/junk folder.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
​​​​​​A couple weeks ago I had a trip on 2x one-way FP credits. One was in the app, one wasn't.
Adam, this one strikes me as weird. My FP bookings always show in my app. I currently have 12 FP bookings on the app. I wonder how many others have troule with this.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I simply do not understand why there is so much disdain to these online check in reminders. These emails are fantastic for reminding me where I'm going after I've gotten on the plane since I fly far too often than I want to these days. With Gogo Wifi I can now retrieve these emails after departure and it serves as a good tool to remind me where my destination is. Who really pays attention to EnRoute or flight attendant's anyways?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By itself, one reminder is good.

OTOH, would be nice for them no to send that crap if you actually are already checked in.

But yes, that strains the intellectual ability of AC IT. Or IBM or whomever.

Welcome to computing in the sixties. Oh, wait, I thought Lise had retired?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.