Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Tracking the ridiculous inconsistency of AC's OLCI reminder e-mails

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tracking the ridiculous inconsistency of AC's OLCI reminder e-mails

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Before anyone says AC IT already knows when we get these, please, this is AC IT.I highly doubt they have any idea when the OLCI e-mails get sent out, otherwise they wouldn't arrive in such a haphazard fashion.
This is true.

So True.

This is so absolutely, 100 percent true, I broke into song reading it.

I bought a ticket to the world,
But now I've come back again.
Why do I find it hard to write the next line?
Oh I want the truth to be said.

................"True" by Spandau Ballet
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy
Really not trying to be sarcastic...I completely agree AC IT can and needs to improve, I just don't think this is an issue for anyone but you.
Adam has company in me as well.

It is an issue for me, and I agree with what Adam is saying.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
My point is, I believe those who find it very important to OLCI at T-xx (myself included), have recognized the emails are totally unreliable, so have employed alternate means to remind ourselves at the predetermined time. Therefore I think the number of people who rely on these emails is comparatively very small.

However, if you believe this thread will help AC solve the issue, or that they think it is even a priority for them to do so, then I wish both it and you every success.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:40 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by TravellingGypsy
My point is, I believe those who find it very important to OLCI at T-xx (myself included), have recognized the emails are totally unreliable, so have employed alternate means to remind ourselves at the predetermined time. Therefore I think the number of people who rely on these emails is comparatively very small.
But would you not rather have an e-mail notification system that just worked properly, so that you didn't need the alternate means?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, *G, WS-Gold, Nexus, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz-PC
But would you not rather have an e-mail notification system that just worked properly, so that you didn't need the alternate means?
No. If the alternate means are faster and simpler to implement, and completely reliable, then this is a non-issue. It is important enough to me that I would never rely solely on AC for this. Even if AC's IT was completely infallible with this, there are still external variables that could prevent me from receiving an email notification (server delays, lack of data coverage, etc). Or, perhaps like me your time to view/act on individual emails is too long simply due to the volume you receive in a single day.

For these reasons I believe most people have just figured out faster/more reliable ways to skin this cat.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I find it deeply unnerving to get an email at T-22 telling me breathlessly that it is time to check in when I already OLCI at T-23:59.
Many times, I have to check, wait, did I check in or is that a false memory?
I don't expect the OLCI reminder on the dot of T-24 - give the self-propelling passengers a change to get a low seq no. but for heaven's sake, send a token to the database that the checked-in people do not need to be prompted to check in.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Adam! How dare you start a thread on such a topic! How dare you!

We are lame for wanting to make use of a potentially good feature! How dare you!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Adam! How dare you start a thread on such a topic! How dare you!

We are lame for wanting to make use of a potentially good feature! How dare you!
Latitude FP Mark Weeny
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Latitude FP Mark Weeny
Absolutely.
If this email issue gets fixed, it would greatly assst with unlimited FP bookings.

The amount of cancelations and bookings can get up to a couple hundred or more per month and these emails would be of great benefit.

(How dare I fly that much! How dare I make such a claim since it is IMPOSSIBRU)
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Absolutely.
If this email issue gets fixed, it would greatly assst with unlimited FP bookings.

The amount of cancelations and bookings can get up to a couple hundred or more per month and these emails would be of great benefit.

(How dare I fly that much! How dare I make such a claim since it is IMPOSSIBRU)
You fly a lot. You must be E35.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
I actually think there is at least a chance AC IT is sending these emails at t-24.

By which I mean technically calling a mail command to an SMTP request. I suspect their infrastructure is then so poor that most emails disappear for several hours, or ever.

If they're using some kind of planned queuing system... it would explain why cancelled flights still get them. Obviously most companies would have a removeFromQueue method when a flight was cancelled... and we return to AC IT.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
@Adam Smith Can we make a google form instead that is linked to a non-editable sheet?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA, AC
The reason for the OLCI email anomalies is that periodic (3-4 times weekly) batch extracts are done from the reservations "database" and the extracted files are passed to another system (likely an Intel box) that sends out OLCI emails based on flight dates. The email process only has the data in the potentially out-of-date extract files; it has no access to the online, live "database" (term used loosely). Such data hosted by z/TPF is not accessible from outside - it's a closed system.

There's no mystery here. There's no way AC's IT people don't completely understand its behavior. The results we see are entirely predictable. This is a quick, cheap and low risk implementation but has some obvious limitations.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:04 pm
Original Member

​​​​​​
So, sometimes stuff is there, sometimes it's not.
Isn't that Air Canada's motto?

Sometimes we're there. Sometimes we're not.

Originally Posted by After Burner
The reason for the OLCI email anomalies is that periodic (3-4 times weekly) batch extracts are done from the reservations "database" and the extracted files are passed to another system (likely an Intel box) that sends out OLCI emails based on flight dates. The email process only has the data in the potentially out-of-date extract files; it has no access to the online, live "database" (term used loosely). Such data hosted by z/TPF is not accessible from outside - it's a closed system.

There's no mystery here. There's no way AC's IT people don't completely understand its behavior. The results we see are entirely predictable. This is a quick, cheap and low risk implementation but has some obvious limitations.
Weekly?

Monthly, maybe.

Or maybe weakly.

Last edited by tcook052; Jul 28, 2017 at 9:44 pm Reason: merge posts
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
I actually think there is at least a chance AC IT is sending these emails at t-24.

By which I mean technically calling a mail command to an SMTP request. I suspect their infrastructure is then so poor that most emails disappear for several hours, or ever.

If they're using some kind of planned queuing system... it would explain why cancelled flights still get them. Obviously most companies would have a removeFromQueue method when a flight was cancelled... and we return to AC IT.
Originally Posted by After Burner

Thanks for the info. I learned something today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.