Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
They followed all necessary SOPs and they did report the incident. The problem is they didn’t recognize the severity of it at the time.
Nonsense! They most certainly did recognize the severity at the time. From the copilot interview: "During taxi to the gate, he was distracted and shaken up. He realized that he almost landed on a taxiway and the result “could have been bad.” That's pretty clear!!

I believe they waited to report it because some combination of:
1) They were too tired (or otherwise impaired) to think straight
2) They needed more time to come up with a plausible excuse and make sure they got their story straight
3) They knew that there was very incriminating evidence on the CVR and they needed to make sure the plane flew it's morning flight before the CVR was pulled.

Now we'll never know the full truth about what was going on during that first approach
tcook052 and Silver Fox like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Nonsense! They most certainly did recognize the severity at the time. From the copilot interview: "During taxi to the gate, he was distracted and shaken up. He realized that he almost landed on a taxiway and the result “could have been bad.” That's pretty clear!!

I believe they waited to report it because some combination of:
1) They were too tired (or otherwise impaired) to think straight
2) They needed more time to come up with a plausible excuse and make sure they got their story straight
3) They knew that there was very incriminating evidence on the CVR and they needed to make sure the plane flew it's morning flight before the CVR was pulled.

Now we'll never know the full truth about what was going on during that first approach
Your third point is wrong, because by the time they got to the gate, the CVR had been overwritten. The only thing everyone in this thread agrees on is that 30 minutes is too damn short. 30 days would be more reasonable. Regulations from the 70s on technology are just stupid. Yes, getting more than 30 minutes in a black box 40 years ago was hard. Today, I'd actually be more surprised if the 30 minute limit was physical than if it was something like "byte[] buffer = new byte[SOME_SIZE_THAT_CAN_HOLD_30_MINUTES]", specifically to adhere to the regulation, even if the physical storage medium has been drastically improved.
Silver Fox and RangerNS like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
So why, in this day and age, has the recording time never been increased or ever come up in a safety conversation? Or has it and has been swept aside?
Old May 4, 2018, 2:46 am
Original Member

Anyone know if AC has taken any actions whatsoever to prevent this from happening again?
Yes, they had the security cameras disabled.
Fizzer, Silver Fox and lallied like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 3:37 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by RangerNS
The amount of engineering that goes into a commercial passenger jets is untouched by any other field,
I take it then that you are knowledgeable about the engineering that goes into particle accelerators, space craft, military weapons and defense systems, computer chips, and all other fields?
Admiral Ackbar and canopus27 like this.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: UA Plat; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hyatt Gold; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
So why, in this day and age, has the recording time never been increased or ever come up in a safety conversation? Or has it and has been swept aside?
My understanding is pilots don’t want longer recordings for privacy reasons. In part, hey are afraid it will be used for things other than crash investigations. Do you want someone recording (and keeping) every word you say at work?
Old May 4, 2018, 6:17 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by silver_halide

My understanding is pilots don’t want longer recordings for privacy reasons. In part, hey are afraid it will be used for things other than crash investigations. Do you want someone recording (and keeping) every word you say at work?
I don't have hundreds of lives in my hands when I work. The pilot unions don't want to change it for exactly the reason the breaker was pulled here/30 minute buffer overwrite: CYA

Privacy is a red herring.
Silver Fox and Bohemian1 like this.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; May 4, 2018 at 8:54 am
Old May 4, 2018, 7:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AC

Most of us don't carry 100+ people's lives in our hands every day we go to work. Heck lack of privacy is also the norm in the vast majority of certain jobs, such as in policing.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Most of us don't carry 100+ people's lives in our hands every day we go to work. Heck lack of privacy is also the norm in the vast majority of certain jobs, such as in policing.
It is actually the norm for almost every corporate job these days. Every email I send, every text message, the geolocation of my phone etc are all recorded and kept. Keyword logging is also performed. Heck, there is even the ability to record every voice conversation if the company wants to turn it on. And lets not even talk about network security tools which can reconstruct all IP communications (including email, IP calling, etc.) on a network from just the IP packets -- they literally just sit on the network, they don't need to use Exchange logging or any other such tool. Corporate privacy is a complete myth at any moderate to large sized company today. The fact that 1000 people came within 5m of dying and the pilots use privacy as an excuse is completely, well, inexcusable.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite

So what?
Old May 4, 2018, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Your third point is wrong, because by the time they got to the gate, the CVR had been overwritten.
No. You're wrong. We know for a fact from the copilot interview that "during taxi to the gate, he was distracted and shaken up. He realized that he almost landed on a taxiway and the result “could have been bad.”

Don't you think that they were likely discussing how that happened during taxi to the gate, while they were distracted and shaken up?
Old May 4, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AC 75K
Don't you think that they were likely discussing how that happened during taxi to the gate, while they were distracted and shaken up?
Not if they were following the sterile flight deck rules. But you seem to think all of the actions they took were deliberate, so they must have deliberately broken that regulation too.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
so they must have deliberately broken that regulation too.
They said as much. Again from the interview: "After he talked with NORCAL, he did a brief announcement to passengers to say that they had
done a go-around and would be landing in 6 or 7 minutes. The crew had a quick discussion afterspeaking with NORCAL. He thinks that they said they would talk about it more when they wereon the ground. They wanted to focus on setting up the approach."
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:41 am

Not if they were following the sterile flight deck rules. But you seem to think all of the actions they took were deliberate, so they must have deliberately broken that regulation too.
We'll never know, because they failed to pull the CVR. We'll never find out the truth. And that makes me very mad.

Since we can't know the facts, I can only give my opinion. And yes, my opinion is that, during taxi, these guys were likely discussing the fact that they had very nearly died a few moments ago and were likely talking about what happened and how.

But, once again, we'll never know, cause they didn't pull the CVR or immediately report the incident so that the plane could be pulled from service before its next flight
Silver Fox likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Leaving aside whether it's reasonable to record someone performing a safety critical function, there are very simple technological solutions. Just encrypt the recording with keys owned by the OEM or regulator (FAA, Transport Canada, etc), so that it is impossible for the airline to access them surreptitiously outside of a bona fide incident investigation.
Silver Fox, ffsim and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.