Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
FlightGlobal -10 April 2021

A320 close call at San Francisco highlighted NOTAM overload: ICAO forum

QUOTES:

"Overflight of a heavily-occupied taxiway by an Airbus A320 at San Francisco served as an illustration of the serious risks of overloading pilots with NOTAMs, an ICAO forum has heard, as the organisation initiates efforts to reduce unnecessary NOTAM information.

The Air Canada jet’s crew, intending to land on runway 28R at night in July 2017, inadvertently lined up with the parallel taxiway C which was occupied by four aircraft – only executing a go-around at 100ft after overflying the first of them.

National Transportation Safety Board investigators found the pilots misidentified the taxiway because they had not recalled the closure of runway 27L contained in a NOTAM.

The crew’s flight-release package was 27 pages long and the NOTAM advising of the runway closure was on the eighth, towards the middle of the second page of NOTAMs."

Full article

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/...143247.article
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Oh man. I thought it happened again!!
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Oh man. I thought it happened again!!
Oh I just knew you'd be the first to drop by.
Interesting reading though.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
Oh I just knew you'd be the first to drop by.
Interesting reading though.
Wait, really? It's been almost 2 years, I don't even know who you are

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.