Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by dhuey
Could there really have been any serious doubt in the tower, immediately after the incident, that this was a reportable event?
Yes. The regulations (if taken literally) seem to indicate it may not be reportable. The tower must report a "pilot deviation" - which is defined as a violation of the FARs. The language in the FARs (as someone else pointed out) suggests there was no violation.

Also, you can be sure that the controller working the tower very much did NOT want there to be an investigation.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by canadiancow
......Debating whether or not the pilots should have taken explicit action to preserve the CVR is focusing on the WRONG issue.

The RIGHT issue (with respect to the CVR) is why it still only holds 30 minutes after 50 years.
The poster here points out the U.S. law for CVRs and Canada's proposal to upgrade to a similar 2 hours.

Also discussion of newer technology for streaming recording etc.

(posts 340, 344 and 345)

PPRuNeThread
"Near miss with 5 airliners waiting for T/O on taxiway "C" in SFO!"

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...way-c-sfo.html

Attached Images   

Last edited by 24left; Aug 10, 2017 at 6:58 pm Reason: Add info
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by After Burner
Yes. The regulations (if taken literally) seem to indicate it may not be reportable.
b. Definition. A near midair collision is defined as an incident associated with the operation of an aircraft in which a possibility of collision occurs as a result of proximity of less than 500 feet to another aircraft, or a report is received from a pilot or a flight crew member stating that a collision hazard existed between two or more aircraft.
http://tfmlearning.fly.faa.gov/Publi...7/aim0706.html (my emphasis)

Is this definition from the FAA inapplicable? Seems like we have both the proximity and the "report is received from a pilot" (UA1) here. Not to mention the Philippians Air pilot's desperate effort to alert the AC crew by illuminating landing lights on the taxiway.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:58 pm

b. Definition. A near midair collision is defined as an incident associated with the operation of an aircraft in which a possibility of collision occurs as a result of proximity of less than 500 feet to another aircraft, or a report is received from a pilot or a flight crew member stating that a collision hazard existed between two or more aircraft.
http://tfmlearning.fly.faa.gov/Publi...7/aim0706.html (my emphasis)

Is this definition from the FAA inapplicable?
It's not midair. Both aircraft would need to be flying. The normal separation minima are not applicable near the ground, at an airport. This is my own understanding. But admittedly my knowledge of air law doesn't exceed what was needed to pass the exams.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:59 pm

Also, you can be sure that the controller working the tower very much did NOT want there to be an investigation.
Whatever speculation you might make with what the controller may have wanted, do you have any information on what he in fact did, right after the incident?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:03 pm

It's not midair. Both aircraft would need to be flying. The normal separation minima are not applicable near the ground, at an airport. This is my own understanding. But admittedly my knowledge of air law doesn't exceed what was needed to pass the exams.
Okay, so a landing plane misses a taxiing plane by two feet and there's no reporting obligation? There must be an obligation to report an incident like this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:10 pm

Whatever speculation you might make with what the controller may have wanted, do you have any information on what he in fact did, right after the incident?
No involved parties ever want an investigation.

My understanding was that there were supposed to have been two controllers in the cab. There was only one. This deviation could come under scrutiny.

Another aspect to this I personally found "interesting" was the response by the tower controller to AC759's transmission questioning what he was seeing on what he thought was the runway. He replied with " ... there's no one on 28R but you". Wouldn't this query by AC759 prompt the controller to glance down at his radar and confirm the aircraft's position? The controller's response could be taken as an implicit "you're ok, everything looks good".
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:20 pm

No involved parties ever want an investigation.

My understanding was that there were supposed to have been two controllers in the cab. There was only one. This deviation could come under scrutiny.

Another aspect to this I personally found "interesting" was the response by the tower controller to AC759's transmission questioning what he was seeing on what he thought was the runway. He replied with " ... there's no one on 28R but you". Wouldn't this query by AC759 prompt the controller to glance down at his radar and confirm the aircraft's position? The controller's response could be taken as an implicit "you're ok, everything looks good".
As someone who has flown into SFO more than 100x at night (and that's probably low by SFO-area FlyerTalker standards), it's very hard for me to understand how any licensed pilot, much less a pilot of a major airline, would mistake taxiway Charlie for 28R.

Runways 28L and 28R each have a long string of bright guide lights extending out into the bay. They run about 1/3 of the distance of the runways: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6137...!5m1!1e1?hl=en

I don't see how we can blame the controller for not contemplating how the AC pilot might be lining up with the dim lights of taxiway Charlie (with no lighted string in the bay), rather than very bright lights of 28R. I wonder if that's ever happened before in the history of SFO.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:37 pm

As someone who has flown into SFO more than 100x at night (and that's probably low by SFO-area FlyerTalker standards), it's very hard for me to understand how any licensed pilot, much less a pilot of a major airline, would mistake taxiway Charlie for 28R.

Runways 28L and 28R each have a long string of bright guide lights extending out into the bay. They run about 1/3 of the distance of the runways: https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6137...!5m1!1e1?hl=en

I don't see how we can blame the controller for not contemplating how the AC pilot might be lining up with the dim lights of taxiway Charlie (with no lighted string in the bay), rather than very bright lights of 28R. I wonder if that's ever happened before in the history of SFO.
It defies explanation. I know very well what approach lights look like.

The controller cannot be blamed. On a visual approach it's 100% pilot responsibility. But controllers are another layer of defense. Had he noticed the aircraft being off track this could have been nothing more than an embarrassing event instead of a near catastrophe.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Not just one licensed pilot but two licensed pilots. Absent any equipment failure (e.g. Lighting or 28L improperly marked as closed), then there are some serious issues with training/CRM/fatigue or combinations of them.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Gimmie a break. I'm talking about regulations and policies -- not how this AC crew might have figured out a way to "unplug" the recorders. I understand that there is a lot of old equipment out there (I said so). I'm contemplating a relatively simple adaptation for a situation like this: a kill switch for when a tower or other applicable authorities order it. With today's technology, the tower could probably flip that switch remotely, with no crew involvement. Regardless, once this AC went around, there was no emergency, and plenty of time to execute a simple command that they turn off the recorders to preserve evidence (if the equipment were adapted to permit that).
And what about the second part of my post?

Originally Posted by Finkface
...And if that second landing attempt goes horribly wrong, even worse than the first attempt? God forbid there was a crash - there would be zero data on the second attempt/crash as the pilots had 'unplugged' the CVR after the first go around. Isn't the entire flight data, until landing, critical or should they just be able to 'unplug' it when they feel like it?
If they flip that switch immediately on the first landing attempt to preserve the evidence, what happens if something worse happens on the next try? Or a near miss in the air as they are going around? Or they crash on landing? You have completely cut off any recording at that point and will have no record at all if something else happens.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:06 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Does that not seem like a problem to you? Even if this is old equipment, designed to write over data and voice recordings from 30 minutes prior, wouldn't it make sense in a situation like this to essentially "unplug" both recorders right after the first approach? The tower and other pilots knew right there and then that something very serious happened. It's quite unlikely that data and recordings from the second approach will be of similar interest.
Welcome to last 2 week's discussion in this thread. You are just rehashing stuff that has been discussed (reporting requirements, CVR, lighting) earlier in the thread. May want to go back and read.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Aug 10, 2017 at 9:11 pm
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:29 pm

And what about the second part of my post?

If they flip that switch immediately on the first landing attempt to preserve the evidence, what happens if something worse happens on the next try? Or a near miss in the air as they are going around? Or they crash on landing? You have completely cut off any recording at that point and will have no record at all if something else happens.
What are the odds that something worse happens on the second approach? Preserve the data you know is valuable and take the chance that nothing of significance happens once the crew realizes that it lined up with the taxiway rather than the runway.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
What are the odds that something worse happens on the second approach? Preserve the data you know is valuable and take the chance that nothing of significance happens once the crew realizes that it lined up with the taxiway rather than the runway.
Yeah, I don't think that's the way it works, or even should work. The whole point of the data recorder is to have a record of an unexpected event after the fact. If you were playing by the odds that nothing is going to happen on the second landing attempt, why even bother to have it at all as the odds of anything, ever, happening are just as slim.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:39 pm

Yeah, I don't think that's the way it works, or even should work. The whole point of the data recorder is to have a record of an unexpected event after the fact. If you were playing by the odds that nothing is going to happen on the second landing attempt, why even bother to have it at all as the odds of anything, ever, happening are just as slim.
Ideally we preserve everything, but if we have to choose between the first and second approach, can there be any serious doubt that we keep the first one? At least two crews on the taxiway and the tower could see that the first approach was a major incident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.