Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
They should be fired for not pulling the fuse on the CVR, unless AC told them to do so which would not surprise me. Mistake my .... They knew exactly what it would look like if they didn't.
If the CVR is fuse-protected then the fuse is almost certainly located within the CVR unit which is located in the tail section of the aircraft. There is, however, a breaker for the CVR in the cockpit. But there's absolutely no way the go-around procedure would call for pulling that breaker. So during the 20-30 minutes after the go-around, what procedure would those pilots be following for which a checklist item specifies "pull the CVR breaker"? I would bet with almost 100% certainty that there is none. During a busy and stressful phase of a flight with a potential low-fuel situation developing, the last thing pilots should be doing is further compromising the safety of the flight by hunting through a manual in a dark cockpit, with a flashlight, trying to figure out how to disable some non-critical system.

There are some strong opinions expressed here by people with almost zero aviation knowledge.

As for those suggesting that Air Canada management were complicit in this "CVRgate" cover-up, explain how AC, back at head office, would even know about the occurrence. The FAA didn't figure out that the occurrence was something worthy of investigation until two days later, on Sunday, when it reported it to the NTSB.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
CVR or not, the crew amnesia says it all. They will not get a free pass on this though I suspect. Captain exploring early retirement I am sure.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by After Burner
As for those suggesting that Air Canada management were complicit in this "CVRgate" cover-up, explain how AC, back at head office, would even know about the occurrence.
Air Canada operations knows about every go-around and the reason for it. There is no way that management wouldn't know about this near record-breaking catastrophe unless the pilots lied about what happened. If they did lie about what happened, then that's not any better.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:04 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
If the CVR is fuse-protected then the fuse is almost certainly located within the CVR unit which is located in the tail section of the aircraft. There is, however, a breaker for the CVR in the cockpit. But there's absolutely no way the go-around procedure would call for pulling that breaker. So during the 20-30 minutes after the go-around, what procedure would those pilots be following for which a checklist item specifies "pull the CVR breaker"? I would bet with almost 100% certainty that there is none. During a busy and stressful phase of a flight with a potential low-fuel situation developing, the last thing pilots should be doing is further compromising the safety of the flight by hunting through a manual in a dark cockpit, with a flashlight, trying to figure out how to disable some non-critical system.

There are some strong opinions expressed here by people with almost zero aviation knowledge.

As for those suggesting that Air Canada management were complicit in this "CVRgate" cover-up, explain how AC, back at head office, would even know about the occurrence. The FAA didn't figure out that the occurrence was something worthy of investigation until two days later, on Sunday, when it reported it to the NTSB.
I understand closing ranks (almost like dealing with cops) but it contrasts with your previous incredulousness at how an incident like this could even happen.

I will re-word and stand by my statement that that possibility (CVR being overwritten, pulling breakers, etc.) should be taken out of the pilots hands completely so that there is not even a hint of ambiguity. With everything else about this incident, it just looks bad.

The technology exists already as previously posted.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

No one is suggesting that the CVR breaker should be pulled immediately after the trust levers are advanced.

The problem is that it only records 30 minutes. By far, the easiest solution to this, would be to make that 30 days or something else huge.

It's not inconceivable that a mistake at take-off could affect the flight 12 hours later, so there are many benefits to extending this. Just legislate that the CVR is government property and may only be pulled for a serious incident, and you avoid the airline listening to it.

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Air Canada operations knows about every go-around and the reason for it. There is no way that management wouldn't know about this near record-breaking catastrophe unless the pilots lied about what happened. If they did lie about what happened, then that's not any better.
But when would they know about it? The second it happened? That gives them 30 minutes to instruct the crew to pull the breaker.

And I doubt they knew the go-around was worthy of preserving the CVR in that time.

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I understand closing ranks (almost like dealing with cops) but it contrasts with your previous incredulousness at how an incident like this could even happen.

I will re-word and stand by my statement that that possibility (CVR being overwritten, pulling breakers, etc.) should be taken out of the pilots hands completely so that there is not even a hint of ambiguity. With everything else about this incident, it just looks bad.

The technology exists already as previously posted.
Exactly.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:20 pm

You have knowledge of AC operations beyond mine. I didn't know all go-around procedures would come under review. What is the mechanism for operations acquiring that information? And how quickly would the review be done? If the AC759 aircraft had been scheduled to turn around immediately after refueling, how could the review of the go-around be done quickly enough (at about 4 am YYZ/YUL time) for a decision to be made to cancel the next flight?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Can you please provide supporting evidence for this?
That's rich.

While I agree completely that the 30-min limit is terrible idea, I don't let AC off the hook here either. Even if we only got the last 5 minutes of the approach on tape, that would have still been very useful. Air Canada knowingly allowed the tapes to be overwritten, in violation of the law, and that should not be understated, in my opinion.
Bolding mine. Can you please provide supporting evidence for this?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No one is suggesting that the CVR breaker should be pulled immediately after the trust levers are advanced.

The problem is that it only records 30 minutes. By far, the easiest solution to this, would be to make that 30 days or something else huge.
No argument from me on the 30 minute limit. It's utterly absurd.

Another question is: what is the effect of pulling the breaker? I talked to an A320 pilot this morning who told me there is, in fact, a CVR breaker in the cockpit. I asked what effect pulling it would have. The answer I got was "Hmm, I don't know." Possibly pulling the breaker will cause all data to be lost (??)

Apparently the manual doesn't provide much information about the CVR.

But I'd be much less concerned about stupid CVR limitations than I would about airlines operating 1980s technology passenger airliners that allow a pilot to line up with and almost land on a taxiway.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
You have knowledge of AC operations beyond mine. I didn't know all go-around procedures would come under review.
I share your skepticism here. Air Canada operates quite a large fleet of aircraft and if all go-arounds had to be documented and reviewed by management, then Air Canada needs to hire many more managers.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I share your skepticism here. Air Canada operates quite a large fleet of aircraft and if all go-arounds had to be documented and reviewed by management, then Air Canada needs to hire many more managers.
Not actually what I said. I said they all get reported to Air Canada operations, (so they can modify the scheduled arrival time and update the gate assignment if necessary). I never said they all get investigated (many are quite routine).

However, the ones that challenge Tenerife for the worst aviation disaster in the history of the world. I suspect those ones get some attention

If the AC759 aircraft had been scheduled to turn around immediately after refueling, how could the review of the go-around be done quickly enough (at about 4 am YYZ/YUL time) for a decision to be made to cancel the next flight?
I agree. If the plane had a regularly scheduled immediate turn, I would be far more forgiving. In the heat of the moment and in the middle of the night, I can understand that the CVR might have been overlooked. But that's simply not the case. It sat for many hours and didn't fly until lunch time the next day (at AC HQ). That is plenty of time for someone in management to pick up the phone and say "let's play it safe, keep that aircraft on the ground or protect the CVR data"
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
However, the ones that challenge Tenerife for the worst aviation disaster in the history of the world. I suspect those ones get some attention
Wouldn't it actually have to had landed to earn that very dubious distinction?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Wouldn't it actually have to had landed to earn that very dubious distinction?
"Landed", it did; you're thinking of a different word entirely.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
"Landed", it did; you're thinking of a different word entirely.
Yes, I suppose they all do, one way or another. I meant completed the landing on taxiway C. My point is that, by initiating the GA, they did not challenge anything for the worst aviation disaster in the history of the world. They did, however, come very close to it.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Yer missin' my (tacit) point; if your aircraft doesn't descend "gently" onto level terrain and gradually come to an undamaged stop to a pre-set location, the word generally used is "crash"
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
The word generally used is "crash"
AC prefers to call that a "hard landing."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.