Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One unused leg - allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2003, 7:15 am
Original Poster

One unused leg - allowed?

I'm flying Air Canada, first from NYC to Toronto and then I have a connection from Toronto to my final destination abroad.

Now let's say I already am in Toronto. One of their reps told me that if I don't fly the first leg (from NYC to Toronto), they might not let me use the second leg (from Toronto to my final destination).

Anyone experienced enough to tell me whether it's BS or not? Thanks,

Pron
Old Apr 1, 2003, 7:33 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Don't know what current situation is but several years ago this happened and I was not able to get to the start point.

I phoned ahead as it looked very unlikely that I would make it and they stated that as long as I phoned and cancelled the first leg and ask for a notation to be put on my file, it would be no problem. I showed up at the intermediate airport and there was no problem.

Your mileage may vary . . .

------------------

Blonde Bomber's Star Lounge Guide
BlondeBomber's Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart 2003
Hilton HHonors Rewards Hotel Levels

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 04-01-2003).]
Old Apr 1, 2003, 7:37 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Its true... Same problem for me when I was in Toronto and my return leg was NYC-YYZ-YYC... Interestingly enough in T2 my total wait time through security was 0. (Last August)

And since I was on a Z class (student fare), I had to physically goto a TravelCuts (in London, ON, where I was at the time), to make the change - AC couldn't have done anything for me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pron:
I'm flying Air Canada, first from NYC to Toronto and then I have a connection from Toronto to my final destination abroad.

Now let's say I already am in Toronto. One of their reps told me that if I don't fly the first leg (from NYC to Toronto), they might not let me use the second leg (from Toronto to my final destination).

Anyone experienced enough to tell me whether it's BS or not? Thanks,

Pron
</font>

[This message has been edited by YYCOllie (edited 04-01-2003).]
Old Apr 1, 2003, 7:59 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YYCOllie:
Same problem for me when I was in Toronto and my return leg was NYC-YYZ-YYC... </font>
How did you resolve it with the CA check-in clerk? Thanks,

Pron

Old Apr 1, 2003, 8:03 am

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
I once phoned ahead to indicate I wouldn't be able to take the first segment of my return trip and my ticket was promptly "repriced", adding about a grand to the journey for Mr. CanuckFlyer and myself. We decided to hustle our butts the extra 8 hour drive to the origin rather than pay the extra $. We were not happy campers.

The ending might have been happier had we not called so far in advance. Perhaps if the situation were more urgent they might have been more sympathtic (eg, due to weather we can't make it to the point of return, can we just catch up to our second leg). But my point is that the airline definitely holds all the cards in such situations.

Best of luck with your attempt. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CanuckFlyer:
I once phoned ahead</font>
Can you say (approx.) how long ago that was? Thanks,

Pron
Old Apr 2, 2003, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

bump
Old Apr 2, 2003, 8:30 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I don't think it matters when it was. This is still the same rule. (If you don't use the same segment and call ahead - it'll be repriced. If you don't show up for your first flight, the whole itinerary will be cancelled.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.