Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Same Day Changes (SDC) and Standby on Air Canada (2019 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith

Same Day Changes & Standby

Note: This is a long wiki, with over 40 Q&As. If you only see a bit, then find and click on the "Show more" link which can be found at the very end of the last text you see in this wiki window.

Please read the wiki before asking a question, as most common questions are answered here

Table of Contents (note the links below only work on desktop if you have expanded the wiki as described above)

What Are Same Day Change and Standby? Back to top

Q: What are Same Day Change and Standby?
A:
Same Day Changes (often called “SDC”) and Standby (sometimes referred to as “SBY”) involve taking a different flight from the one you were originally booked on without re-booking your itinerary, with no fare difference, and without the change fees normally applicable to your fare (specific SDC/standby fees are charged, as detailed below)
  • Same Day Change is where you immediately confirm a seat on a new flight or flights. As soon as you execute an SDC, your seat on your original flight is gone. You can change to either an earlier or later flight on the same day (see below for details)
  • Standby is when you put yourself on a waitlist for an earlier flight. The standby list is processed after check-in for that flight closes. Until you clear standby on a new flight, you continue to hold a seat on your original flight

Q: So can I use SDC or standby to fly to a different destination? Or fly from a different origin?
A:
No, this just allows you to change flights between the same origin and destination, with limited exceptions for co-terminals (e.g. YYZ/YTZ or LGA/JFK/EWR; see the applicable Routing section)

Q: Are all flights eligible for SDC and standby?
A: It depends on fare and market
. Markets are defined immediately below. For additional information, see the applicable Eligibility & Cost section

Q: What are the “markets”?
A:
  • Domestic (flights within Canada)
  • Transborder (flights between Canada and the US)
  • Sun (flights between Canada and everywhere else in North America)
  • International (everything else)

Q: Does it matter how I booked my ticket?
A:
  • It matters which airline sold your ticket (details in the applicable section)
  • It doesn’t matter how you paid for your ticket (cash vs points vs flight pass credit), although it may impact the cost

Q: Can I do this myself, or do I need an agent at the airport?
A:
In most cases, as long as you’re eligible, you should be able to request standby or SDC via the AC app or website, including paying any required fees. But often it won't work, for no particular reason. If you need an agent to do it, it has to be an AC agent at the airport (someone who has access to DCS, the airport system), not someone at a call centre. The only exception, for those eligible for access, is the Concierge call centre. That also refers to the Aeroplan call centre - Aeroplan cannot help you with SDC/standby, and any airport agent who tells you that you need to talk to Aeroplan is wrong, and you need to push back

Same Day Changes Back to top

Basics Back to top

Q: When can I make the change? Does it have to be on the day of my flight?
A:
SDC should be available online when check-in opens for the flight you’re currently booked on (24 hours in advance of your first flight). You should be able to request an SDC up until check-in for your original flight closes

Q: What flights are available for me to change to?
A:
You can change to any flight on the same operational (roughly 0500-0200) date (subject to available space, which is described below); that includes flights departing more than 24 hours from the one you’re currently booked on. You can’t SDC to a flight for which check-in has closed

Q: Can you give me some examples?
A:
Sure. Click on the spoiler below to expand a few examples
Spoiler

Q: What space is needed on the flight I want to change to?
A:
You need positive space in your cabin, and on the flight as a whole. Your fare class is irrelevant. If you are booked in Y, and the flight you want is full in Y but empty in J, you cannot change. If you're booked in J, and the flight you want is J5 but Y-10, you can't change. If you're booked in J, and the flight is J5 Y-4, you can change, even though Y is overbooked, because the flight is not

Q: How do I make this change?
A:
SDC is available through the online check-in function on the AC app or website (as long as it’s working properly). You can request SDC before you start check-in or after you’ve completed it. You should be offered any available itineraries. If a flight isn’t showing up as an option, it’s probably due to lack of available space as described above, or in the case of connecting itineraries, it may not be a legal connection. An agent at the airport can also handle this; this includes Concierges (and, for SEs only, the central Concierge office)

Q: I’ve read through the FAQ and am curious about the technical details
A:
See this excellent post by D582

Eligibility & Costs Back to top

Q: What do same day changes cost, and what’s eligible?
A:
Both answers depend on the market and fare type:
  • Basic: not eligible
  • Standard
    • $150 domestic/transborder; or $100 for a few selected city pairs:
      • Flights between (a) Toronto (YYZ or YTZ) and (b)(i) Montreal or (ii) Ottawa
      • Flights between (a) Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and (b)(i) JFK or (ii) LGA or (iii) Newark airports
      • Flights between any of Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver
    • $50 Sun
    • $100 international
  • Flex
    • $75 domestic/transborder
    • $50 Sun
    • $100 international
  • Comfort: $0
  • Latitude: $0
  • Premium Economy Lowest
    • $75 for domestic/transborder
    • $100 international
    • ??? Sun (not listed)
  • Premium Economy Flexible: $0
  • Business Class Lowest:
    • $0 for domestic/transborder
      • Note: the app/website want to charge $100 on Aeroplan Business Lowest bookings. The AC website does not make any distinction for Aeroplan tickets, and the fare rules should say SDC is free. You may or may not be able to get an agent to waive the fee, but should be able to get a refund after the fact
    • Sun/international: a fee may apply, but is variable depending on route/fare
  • Business Class Flexible: $0

Some fare rules also waive SDC fees. There are a lot of international Premium Economy Lowest fares that explicitly state SDC is free

Q: Do I have to pay the fee for each segment I change?
A:
No, you pay the fee each time you make a change. You could change all 3 flights on a 2-stop itinerary and pay the fee only once. However, if you make a change, then later decide you’d like to change flights again, you would have to pay another fee, regardless of how many segments you’ve changed each time

Routing Back to top

Q: What am I allowed to change?
A:
You may change the routing, but not the number of connections

Q: Can you give me some examples?
A:
Sure. Click on the spoiler below to expand a few examples
Spoiler

Q: The agent I'm dealing with says I can’t change connecting points
A:
Tell them to look at "the ACpedia page for Same-Day Change, under the header of FLAT Same Day Change Fee for Multiple Segments". The policy very explicitly states that you must have same day of departure, same origin, and same final destination

Q: I booked a flight from YYZ to EWR but I want to go to LGA instead, can I do that?
A:
Yes, you can change between co-terminals at your destination

Q: What if I booked a flight EWR to YYZ, can I leave from LGA instead?
A:
No, you can’t change co-terminals at your origin

Q: Can I SDC after I’ve already taken one or more flights, e.g. if I’m flying FCO-YYZ-YYC, can I SDC the YYZ-YYC flight after arriving at YYZ?
A:
Yes, you should be able to do it yourself online, or an agent can do it

SDC & eUpgrades Back to top

Q: I have a confirmed eUpgrade on my original flight. Can I SDC straight in to J on the new flight?
A:
No, you need space in Y to SDC into. When you SDC, you will be back in Y

Q: Will my eUp request carry over to the new flight?
A:
No, once you SDC, you will need to request the eUp again. You should be able to do this online, or an agent can do it

Bookings Involving Partners Back to top

Q: I booked my flight through United, can I do SDC?
A
No, it must be ticketed by Air Canada, meaning the ticket number must start with 014

Q: I booked YYZ-FRA-LHR, with one segment on another airline. Can I change it to YYZ-YUL-LHR?
A:
No you may only change segments operated by AC

Standby Back to top

Basics Back to top

Q: What flights are eligible for standby?
A:
Essentially, Comfort, Latitude, PY Flexible, and Business Flexible always get free standby. Basic is never eligible. Standard, Flex, PY Lowest and Business Lowest are only eligible on certain routes or markets. See the Eligibility & Costs section below

Q: When can I make the change? Does it have to be on the day of my flight?
A:
You should be able to request standby online when check-in opens for the flight you’re currently booked on (24 hours in advance of your first flight). But the standby list is only processed a short time before the flight

Q: So when does the standby list get processed?
A:
The standby list is generally run 5 minutes after check-in closes (i.e. 40 minutes for domestic flights or 55 minutes for international flights)

Q: If I don’t get a seat at T-40/T-55, does that mean I’m out of luck?
A:
No. If there are people who don’t show up for the flight (e.g. misconnections), they will clear more people off the standby list (the plane usually shouldn’t leave with empty seats if there are still people on standby)

Q: I don’t like the idea of waiting that late. Can I get confirmed earlier than that?
A:
That’s what SDC is for. On rare occasions, AC may clear people off the standby list earlier than the times above, but you’re usually not going to get confirmed until after check-in has closed

Q: There’s more than one earlier flight that would work for me. Can I standby for multiple flights?
A:
You can only SBY for one flight at a time, but if you fail to clear on that one, you can request it on a subsequent flight

Q: Do I keep my seat on my original flight?
A:
As soon as you clear standby for a new flight, you lose the space on your original flight. If you don’t clear standby, your original booking remains intact

Q: What if I clear standby but don’t board the earlier flight?
A:
You need to see an agent to try to get re-booked on another flight. You’ve in a difficult position because you’ve given up your original seat then no-showed the new one, so you have no confirmed space on any flight

Q: Can I cancel a standby request?
A:
As long as it hasn’t cleared. Once it clears, as noted above, you’ve lost your original flight, and you’ll need an agent to re-book you on something else. Note that once check-in closes, you will likely need an agent to remove you from the list

Q: I’m booked in a higher cabin than economy (whether originally ticketed or on some kind of upgrade). Can I standby only for a flight in my original cabin?
A:
Nope. If you have a ticket for a higher cabin, you’ll be on standby for space in that cabin and anything lower. That means if your original flight is in J, you could end up in PY or Y

Q: Would I get any compensation for the downgrade?
A:
No, because you chose to take an earlier flight

Q: This sounds kind of different from how I remember it
A:
AC switched to a new reservation system in late 2019, which brought numerous changes. Most were negative – previously you could standby only for the cabin you were booked in, and you didn’t lose your seat on your original flight unless and until you boarded the new flight – but some were positive, e.g. online self-service options

Q: Overall, this sounds kind of crappy. Why would I want to do it?
A:
If getting to your next airport early is important, and especially if you’re already booked in Y, SBY can be worthwhile. If you’re confirmed in a higher cabin, there’s a considerable chance of being downgraded, so it may be less appealing

Q: How do I request standby?
A:
Standby is available through the online check-in function on the AC app or website (as long as it’s working properly). You can only request SBY after you’ve checked in. An agent at the airport can also handle this; this includes Concierges (and, for SEs only, the central Concierge office)

Priority Back to top

Q: What is the priority for standby?
A:
As follows (this is very similar to the priority for eUpgrades):
  1. Cabin: Based on your ticketed cabin (i.e. upgrades don’t count)
    • Note: Paid J will rank ahead of any eUp requests in the J cabin (subject to space available on the flight – if the flight is full overall but oversold in Y/PY, your standby can’t clear, so eUps will clear even though your standby doesn’t). If you have a confirmed upgrade to J, you’ll be on standby for J, but with lower priority than everyone who’s already confirmed on the flight. The same principle should apply to PY
    • For seats in Y, J and PY will rank ahead of those ticketed in Y
  2. Status: VIP > SE 2MM+ with credit card > SE 2MM+ > SE MM with credit card > SE MM > SE with credit card > SE > 75K 2MM+ with credit card, etc. If two passengers are on the PNR, the priority might be based on the highest status, per this post
  3. "Fare": Brand comes first (PF > PL; LT > CO > FL > ST), so a low Comfort fare is higher priority than Flex M. Within a brand, fare class matters. If you bought your ticket through another airline, and you don't have a brand, they infer a brand based on the fare class.
    Fare class hierarchy:
    • PY fares: O > E > A > N
    • Y fares: Y > B > M > U > H > Q > V > W > S > T > L > K > G
  4. Check-in time: As indicated by your sequence number

Eligibility & Costs Back to top

Q: What’s eligible for standby, and how much does it cost?
A:
Eligibility depends on market and route; when eligible, standby is always free
  • Basic: not eligible
  • Standard & Flex
    • Domestic/transborder, only eligible for:
      • Flights between (a) Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and (b)(i) JFK or (ii) LGA or (iii) Newark airports
    • Sun & International: not eligible
  • Comfort: always eligible
  • Latitude: always eligible
  • Premium Economy Lowest
    • Sun: eligible
    • International: not eligible
  • Premium Economy Flexible: always eligible
  • Business Class Lowest
    • Sun & International: eligible
  • Business Class Flexible: always eligible

Routing Back to top

Q: I booked a connecting itinerary. Can I standby for a non-stop flight?
A:
No, you can only standby for an earlier flight on the same route

Q: What if I want to standby from a non-stop to a connecting itinerary?
A:
No, same as above

Q: If I’m flying YYC-YYZ-YDF, can I standby for both an earlier YYC-YYZ and an earlier YYZ-YDF?
A:
Yes, but you can only request SBY for your next segment at any one time – you can only request for the YYZ-YDF leg once you’ve flown the YYC-YYZ leg

Q: I booked a flight from YYZ to EWR but I want to go to LGA instead, can I do that?
A:
Yes, you can change between co-terminals at your destination

Q: What if I booked a flight EWR to YYZ, can I leave from LGA instead?
A:
No, you can’t change co-terminals at your origin

Bookings Involving Partners Back to top

Q: I booked my flight through United, can I do SBY?
A:
Not through self-serve tools. It must be ticketed by Air Canada, meaning the ticket number must start with 014. There is a chance an agent can make this happen

Q: I booked YYZ-ORD, operated by United, can I stand by for an Air Canada flight?
A:
No, you can only stand by from segments operated by AC

Q: I booked YYZ-ORD, operated by Air Canada, can I stand by for a United flight?
A:
No you can only stand by to segments operated by AC

Q: What if the flight is a codeshare, does that change either of the previous two answers?
A:
No, codeshares are irrelevant
Print Wikipost

Same Day Changes (SDC) and Standby on Air Canada (2019 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2021, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
interesting. This is the first time I’ve seen it. Anyone have any luck getting the concierge to do same day changes the day before as well or is this just an OLC feature? I’ve been interested in changing some nonstop to connecting that won’t show in OLC and would prefer not to wait to midnight.
I have had no issue getting them to do it if both my current and target flights are within 24 hours.
yyzgigi likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 4:40 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Recently called the Concierge, after midnight on the same day of travel, to change a Bus Lowest reward YOW-YYZ-YYC to the direct YOW-YYC. They said that change is now not possible due to their ‘new’ system. It just is not possible anymore.

Went to the airport and asked check-in person and they made the change with no issue at all.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
Recently called the Concierge, after midnight on the same day of travel, to change a Bus Lowest reward YOW-YYZ-YYC to the direct YOW-YYC. They said that change is now not possible due to their ‘new’ system. It just is not possible anymore.

Went to the airport and asked check-in person and they made the change with no issue at all.
That's preposterous.

There are some things that are much harder to do now, but if you're on 014, I don't think there's anything you could do before that you can't do now.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K
In the past when I've had a concierge say that, they've been able to escalate to help desk and get it resolved. Some concierges / check in / ticketing agents are more helpful then others. I'd politely ask them if they can escalate to help desk, or then HUCA.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I have had no issue getting them to do it if both my current and target flights are within 24 hours.
Just to be clear have you actually got them to change the calendar day of your flight, e.g., call at noon on Saturday and change from a flight noon on Sunday to one at 5:00pm on Saturday, or are you just saying that at noon on Saturday they let you change to other flights on Sunday before noon?

What i was seeing with OLCI with my example above was that at noon on Saturday I could change to any flight on Sunday from 12:05 am to 3:30pm.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 6:17 pm

Just to be clear have you actually got them to change the calendar day of your flight, e.g., call at noon on Saturday and change from a flight noon on Sunday to one at 5:00pm on Saturday, or are you just saying that at noon on Saturday they let you change to other flights on Sunday before noon?

What i was seeing with OLCI with my example above was that at noon on Saturday I could change to any flight on Sunday from 12:05 am to 3:30pm.
Other flights on Sunday.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:53 pm

Programs: AC*SE

Well for what it's worth I'm on a solid hour on the phone trying to change by YOW-YYZ segment to an earlier flight on a booked (and eUped) YOW-YYZ-YYC flight next week. I tried to say forget about it I'll just do a SDC at the airport next week and the phone agent told me YOW might not do SDCs anymore?

It's been a long time since being on an AC flight, but it's seemingly a little silly for this to be so much hassle.
Plumber likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:19 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
Well for what it's worth I'm on a solid hour on the phone trying to change by YOW-YYZ segment to an earlier flight on a booked (and eUped) YOW-YYZ-YYC flight next week. I tried to say forget about it I'll just do a SDC at the airport next week and the phone agent told me YOW might not do SDCs anymore?

It's been a long time since being on an AC flight, but it's seemingly a little silly for this to be so much hassle.
I have no idea why changing your flight today is so difficult, but the idea that YOW can't or doesn't do SDCs anymore is, to borrow a term from upthread, preposterous.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:22 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I have no idea why changing your flight today is so difficult, but the idea that YOW can't or doesn't do SDCs anymore is, to borrow a term from upthread, preposterous.
I think the flight having been eUp'ed has made it more difficult? Who knows. We'll see how far in to the second hour we go. At this point I just asked them to confirm that I can make an SDC in YOW and call it a day, but that's been 10+ minutes on hold as well.

Glad to hear YOW can still do it. I figured in the year and a half I haven't been on a plane they would have worked out these bugs - although when I tried to force certain connections by using the multi-booking tool (and them all pricing separately), I was reminded of AC IT
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by CdnFlier
I think the flight having been eUp'ed has made it more difficult? Who knows.
It still shouldn't be all that difficult, although that's a matter for another thread.

We'll see how far in to the second hour we go. At this point I just asked them to confirm that I can make an SDC in YOW and call it a day, but that's been 10+ minutes on hold as well.
I wouldn't necessarily believe whatever answer they give you anyway

Glad to hear YOW can still do it.
I can't tell you I've done SDC at YOW recently, but it's the same system anywhere. And, as discussed upthread, you should be able to do this through the app or website anyway, without ever needing to talk to an agent at YOW.
CdnFlier likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 1:20 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It still shouldn't be all that difficult, although that's a matter for another thread.

I wouldn't necessarily believe whatever answer they give you anyway

I can't tell you I've done SDC at YOW recently, but it's the same system anywhere. And, as discussed upthread, you should be able to do this through the app or website anyway, without ever needing to talk to an agent at YOW.
SDC on a connecting flight is considerably more challenging with AC’s system. Although YOW-YYZ is a free SDC the reservation system likely sees the SDC from origin to destination so likely doesn’t consider it free. Would be interested if OLC was showing paid changes with different YOW-YYZ flights or just nothing at all.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 10:25 am
Original Poster

SDC on a connecting flight is considerably more challenging with AC’s system. Although YOW-YYZ is a free SDC the reservation system likely sees the SDC from origin to destination so likely doesn’t consider it free. Would be interested if OLC was showing paid changes with different YOW-YYZ flights or just nothing at all.
Standby is free on that route for Flex and Standard, not SDC (link). SDC is at a reduced price for that route ($100 vs $150) for Standard or the usual $75 for Flex. The app has been smart enough to know about the free standby on connecting routes, in my experience. So I doubt this is as difficult as you're making it out to be.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Sep 8, 2021 at 10:51 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:18 pm

Has anyone tried a same-day change on an Aeroplan ticket recently?
I have an Aeroplan "Flex" ticket for which I am hoping to do a same-day change.
According to Air Canada's website, same day changes for Flex tickets cost $75, but I am not sure if the same fee applies to Aeroplan tickets.
Would airport agents be able to do same-day changes on Aeroplan tickets without much trouble?
Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by agjil
Has anyone tried a same-day change on an Aeroplan ticket recently?
I have an Aeroplan "Flex" ticket for which I am hoping to do a same-day
​​​​​​
On Sat AM, concierge and two of her more senior resources first told my Aeroplan PNR (bus lowest) was eligible for SDC for $75. However, the system wouldn't let her do it. She said it was because my ticket was connecting from US to YYZ to YYC,, it wouldn't let me change YYZ-YWG-YYC to the nonstop YYZ-YYC. The app did not offer this either.

On the way home, free SDC appeared on the app. Same day standby was grayed out. This was on two PNRs: one Latitude e-up'd, one Business lowest.

​​​​​​After consulting with esteemed posters and the chart for revenue bookings here, I am legitimately confused what rules apply to Aeroplan bookings....
Old Sep 26, 2021, 6:13 am

Same day changed latitude reward to another flight same day.

I'm not sure that the Latitude level has been ported over to new flight: The eTicket receipt confirmation for the new flight doesn't no longer mentions that it is a latitude reward, BUT I can see that I can still select preferred seats for free and have extra baggage allowance.

Thanks to the cowtool, I can see that the fare basis is HAEROLT

However, I'm concerned about the AC Bistro meal box that is supposed to be included with Latitude ticket. My digital boarding pass has no mention about it. Would the paper boarding pass have the notation about the free meal box ?

Domestic flight with a duration of 1 hour and 40 minutes

Last edited by hoipolloi; Sep 26, 2021 at 6:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.